Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Of Music

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Of Music

Postby Arborbridge » April 10th, 2021, 5:14 pm

jackdaww wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:"Even Mahler" !

Yes, I forgot ballet. Slightly easier than the others that I struggle with, perhaps it gets upgraded to a "meh".

=======================================

ballet and opera are great music - with knobs on .... :D

poetry and literature have passed me by . :(

I worked my way through the usual canon of classical works and as a teen/twenty something, virtually lived at the Royal Festival Hall (tickets must have been cheaper then? Then my boss took me two an opera and I found this gave me an extra dimension. Eventually I turned to ballet around 2010 and became hevily involved. Those composers I dismissed as "minor" now seem somewhat cleverer when seen in the right context. Massenet, Adolphe Adam: there music when added to dance are as though 2 and 2 make 5 - greater than the parts.

And if you can't get moved by Pina Bausch's production of the Rite of Spring, then I would be surprised. Naturally, you have to put yourself in the moment and suspend logic, but do that and it's incredibly emotional. The fear of those girls trying to avoid being the Chosen One who dances to the death is palpable. I saw it four times in one year and could hardly sleep for a week. Every performance, I came out feeling shattered. In a recent interview I heard, it seems that the dancers felt exactly the same and were really on another plane during the performance.
And of course, the music!.......amazing sound with a full on orchestra from my row A seat.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 10th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:"Even Mahler" !

Yes, I forgot ballet. Slightly easier than the others that I struggle with, perhaps it gets upgraded to a "meh".

I worked my way through the usual canon of classical works and as a teen/twenty something, virtually lived at the Royal Festival Hall (tickets must have been cheaper then? Then my boss took me two an opera and I found this gave me an extra dimension. Eventually I turned to ballet around 2010 and became hevily involved. Those composers I dismissed as "minor" now seem somewhat cleverer when seen in the right context. Massenet, Adolphe Adam: there music when added to dance are as though 2 and 2 make 5 - greater than the parts.

And if you can't get moved by Pina Bausch's production of the Rite of Spring, then I would be surprised. Naturally, you have to put yourself in the moment and suspend logic, but do that and it's incredibly emotional. The fear of those girls trying to avoid being the Chosen One who dances to the death is palpable. I saw it four times in one year and could hardly sleep for a week. Every performance, I came out feeling shattered. In a recent interview I heard, it seems that the dancers felt exactly the same and were really on another plane during the performance.
And of course, the music!.......amazing sound with a full on orchestra from my row A seat.

================================

another little known french composer - messager - the two pigeons .

more stravinsky - petrushka is magic - and jeux de carte .

:)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 10th, 2021, 8:53 pm

jackdaww wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

================================

another little known french composer - messager - the two pigeons .

more stravinsky - petrushka is magic - and jeux de carte .

:)

The ballet of Petrushka is worth seeing, if you get a chance. I've only seen it on in London once in ten years. Very clever - dancing as puppets, kind of floppy but controlled.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 11th, 2021, 12:27 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I was mightily impressed when we went to Venice for an out of season trip in early one December (I do not recommend it, cold and wet) My wife said 'This evening we are going to the jazz club'. My answer was 'What jazz club?' She had done it all on the internet and when we got there, we were ushered in to our table, complete with my name on it. I was impressed. It even had half decent food. It was not by any means my usual jazz fair but was very good and a great experience which I can recommend.

Dod

Myself and Mrs Arb enjoyed our one and only trip to Venice and would love to go again. We bought impromptu tickets for a performance at Il Fenice, the operahouse. I didn't expect to be able to, for in London you have to book ages ahead, but there we were with quite reasonably priced tickets in the best seats bought on the day. Not only that, but it was a comfortable ten minute amble from our hotel and no problems with trains getting home afterwards.
I was thinking of arranging another trip one day, but I can't afford the orient express every time!

Arb.

Nice story, but I am sure from London you can get a direct (and relatively cheap) flight. Go go go! We were also there in midsummer. Hot, crowded but wonderful. The only problem was how to get from the airport to Venice itself. The bus? OK but crowded and I would recommend a ferry or better, a water taxi. I am a poor man but can spend some money if I need to. Even writing this I can smell the heat and the Italians, not all of whom in Venice are out to get the tourists.

(Sorry if this is off topic)

Dod

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”