Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Tenet

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Tenet

Postby zico » May 26th, 2021, 6:18 pm

3/10. Time-travel action film.

This starts off as a Bond-type film with a resourcesful hero, and seems to be a bit of a send-up. But then it goes into its time-travel theme about the world being menaced by people from the future travelling back in time. We later find out that it's possible to choose to go backwards in time, but you need your own oxygen mask for this. There's lot of car stunts with cars reversing (because they're travelling back in time, I suppose).

As for the plot, either it's very complex and hangs together really well and there are lots of subtleties I was too dumb to appreciate, or it's just a big sprawling mess with loads of things that don't add up, so the best thing to do is to sit back, ignore the daftness and enjoy the action sequences. (I thought it was the latter).

If you like time-travel films, Arrival is a much better bet.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tenet

Postby Gerry557 » May 26th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Quite a low score. It is a film that is not easy to follow but maybe after another watch you might notice more things and how it all fits together a bit better, then be left with even more different questions.

I gave it more of a 6 or 7 but the sound issues were a strange thing and for some reason Nolan doesn't seem to do Atmos in films.

This was a movie I really looked forward to and my expectations were really high but it didn't quite live up to those lofty expectations. Even so a 3 seems harsh but its an option and mine differs.

Anything else score 3 or bellow recently, I know the pandemic has hit the filming process hard hopefully there will be some good movies coming out soon.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » May 27th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I think 3 is a generous score.
Tried hard to enjoy and go with the ride. Didn't succeed.
Blimey @Gerry I had enough difficulty with getting through it the first time ! :o

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 27th, 2021, 11:52 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Quite a low score. It is a film that is not easy to follow but maybe after another watch you might notice more things and how it all fits together a bit better, then be left with even more different questions.

I gave it more of a 6 or 7 but the sound issues were a strange thing and for some reason Nolan doesn't seem to do Atmos in films.

This was a movie I really looked forward to and my expectations were really high but it didn't quite live up to those lofty expectations. Even so a 3 seems harsh but its an option and mine differs.

That's about the same as my take on it
- simultaneously too loud and yet the dialogue was mixed too low (and from what I've heard they're claiming that was intentional)

All in though I did enjoy the spectacle and the story was OK
Given the hoo-ha about it I was expecting something absolutely mind bending but it's really just a big budget take on (half of) Primer with explosions and a couple of MacGuffins

- sd

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 28th, 2021, 6:48 am

todthedog wrote:I think 3 is a generous score.
Tried hard to enjoy and go with the ride. Didn't succeed.
Blimey @Gerry I had enough difficulty with getting through it the first time ! :o

I liked someone else comment, "Watch it for the first time, again!"

I knew it would need lots of concentration from the off so watched it during the day. I think if I slobded on the sofa tired in the evening I would have struggled. A couple of family members were more on your wavelength.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 28th, 2021, 6:53 am

servodude wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Quite a low score. It is a film that is not easy to follow but maybe after another watch you might notice more things and how it all fits together a bit better, then be left with even more different questions.

That's about the same as my take on it
- simultaneously too loud and yet the dialogue was mixed too low (and from what I've heard they're claiming that was intentional)

All in though I did enjoy the spectacle and the story was OK
Given the hoo-ha about it I was expecting something absolutely mind bending but it's really just a big budget take on (half of) Primer with explosions and a couple of MacGuffins

- sd

Yes the sound was by design so you could "feel it" I had to turn it down initially and struggling with some of the dialogue. Some say have subtitles on.

I'm not sure I really did feel it and wanted cleaner sound.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”