Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Part time lover, cover version, who is it?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Part time lover, cover version, who is it?

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 3:14 pm

I just heard a cover version of the Stevie Wonder song, part time lover. Played with a blues rhythm, male singer. It sounded a lot like something Eric Clapton would do. But neither Google nor Apple Music can find that song by Clapton. It was very enjoyable to the point I would love to know who it was! Do TLFers know any candidates please?

Thanks.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Part time lover, cover version, who is it?

Postby Itsallaguess » May 18th, 2022, 3:32 pm

BullDog wrote:
Do TLFers know any candidates please?

Krister and Dalbani?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMs_lzv3SM

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Let me take a listen and get back to you! Thanks.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 18th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
BullDog wrote:

Krister and Dalbani?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

... Did you know that? Or just know how to find it out?
Either way... kudos!

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 3:43 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
BullDog wrote:

Krister and Dalbani?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Many thanks. Nope definitely not! I perhaps should have said the track was electric guitar led, played very blues style. Both the guitar and vocals both sounded so much like Eric Clapton, I am almost tempted to say Google and Apple Music are wrong!
:lol:

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 18th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Lots of covers here https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/56723

Not what your looking for but I like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQ4pcaGe38

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 18th, 2022, 3:49 pm

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 3:50 pm

kempiejon wrote:Lots of covers here https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/56723

Not what your looking for but I like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQ4pcaGe38

Thanks, that's one of the lists that says Clapton didn't cover it.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 3:53 pm

kempiejon wrote:This could feel a bit bluesey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBOn53d0kk&t=56s

Thanks. Nope, epic fail!

For the guitar, think more along the lines of Jimi Hendrix playing Red House or Little Wing! But with vocals sounding a lot like Eric Clapton!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 18th, 2022, 5:07 pm

BullDog wrote:I just heard a cover version of the Stevie Wonder song, part time lover. Played with a blues rhythm, male singer. It sounded a lot like something Eric Clapton would do. But neither Google nor Apple Music can find that song by Clapton. It was very enjoyable to the point I would love to know who it was! Do TLFers know any candidates please?

Thanks.

Perhaps we could go investigate from where how you heard it. TV, radio, restaurant? We might be able to deduce from the context. There's a lot of covers but not one by EC.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2022, 5:28 pm

kempiejon wrote:
BullDog wrote:I just heard a cover version of the Stevie Wonder song, part time lover. Played with a blues rhythm, male singer. It sounded a lot like something Eric Clapton would do. But neither Google nor Apple Music can find that song by Clapton. It was very enjoyable to the point I would love to know who it was! Do TLFers know any candidates please?

Thanks.

Perhaps we could go investigate from where how you heard it. TV, radio, restaurant? We might be able to deduce from the context. There's a lot of covers but not one by EC.

Thanks again. In a restaurant. The staff didn't know who the artist was. They only knew it was stream of blues music that they regularly pipe into the restaurant.

I wondered if the guitar was Joe Satriani, but I draw a blank there too.

Maybe we'll never know who it was!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 18th, 2022, 5:56 pm

Fascinating. Thanks for this little quiz! I’ve just wasted half an hour on Apple Music and the nearest to a Blues version of Part Time Lover I found wasn’t even the Stevie Wonder song! Who knew there were Bossa Nova and Acapella versions. At least I’ve now listened to a bit of “The Very Best of Marvin Rainwater”… one of the all-time undiscovered classic albums.

All the best, Si

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 18th, 2022, 6:35 pm

I clicked on the link , the YouTube link was muted..I thought it was an ad. for DFS Furniture.?. ;)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 19th, 2022, 3:49 pm

Having spent ages looking for a cover version of "Summertime" featuring a Harmonica for someone (no, it wasn't Larry adler, but apparently that was very close), are you *absolutely sure* it was "Part Time Lover"?

The correct version I eventually found for them WAS Larry Adler. Playing Rhapsody in Blue :(

Paul

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 19th, 2022, 8:26 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Having spent ages looking for a cover version of "Summertime" featuring a Harmonica for someone (no, it wasn't Larry adler, but apparently that was very close), are you *absolutely sure* it was "Part Time Lover"?

The correct version I eventually found for them WAS Larry Adler. Playing Rhapsody in Blue :(

Paul

Yes I am. But there's no way I can listen again, so there is a possibility it was another song but with the words "part time lover" in the lyrics. It was a fun challenge, alas, I will never know.

Not to worry, I just enjoyed four hours streaming the Stones, Neil Young, Clapton and the Beatles........ 8-)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 20th, 2022, 12:04 am

BullDog wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Having spent ages looking for a cover version of "Summertime" featuring a Harmonica for someone (no, it wasn't Larry adler, but apparently that was very close), are you *absolutely sure* it was "Part Time Lover"?

Paul

Yes I am. But there's no way I can listen again, so there is a possibility it was another song but with the words "part time lover" in the lyrics. It was a fun challenge, alas, I will never know.

Not to worry, I just enjoyed four hours streaming the Stones, Neil Young, Clapton and the Beatles........ 8-)

Can we work it out some other way e.g. where and when did you hear it?
Some radio shows will publish playlists online

-sd

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 20th, 2022, 7:40 am

servodude wrote:
BullDog wrote:

Paul

-sd

Thanks, it was in restaurant in Greece one evening earlier this week. The staff told me it was a blues channel streaming off the Internet. There was no talk like you get on the radio, it was just continuous music streaming. They couldn't tell me the name of the actual music stream. I looked on line but there's loads of blues music streams, far too many to pick a couple and recognise it. At this point, I can't really envisage how to identify what the track was from so little information.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 20th, 2022, 7:51 am

BullDog wrote:
servodude wrote:

Thanks, it was in restaurant in Greece one evening earlier this week.

The staff told me it was a blues channel streaming off the Internet. There was no talk like you get on the radio, it was just continuous music streaming.

They couldn't tell me the name of the actual music stream. I looked on line but there's loads of blues music streams, far too many to pick a couple and recognise it.

At this point, I can't really envisage how to identify what the track was from so little information.

I think at this point the most likely route to success perhaps isn't thinking about the music too much, and you might be better finding out when the next flight out is...

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 20th, 2022, 7:56 am

BullDog wrote:

On the off-chance that you are concentrating on the phrase rather than the actual Stevie Wonder song, have a listen to this -

https://www.reverbnation.com/theericstreetband/song/25822979-part-time-lover

And just in case it was 'Full time lover' instead -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7s1RD2cI1g

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 20th, 2022, 8:09 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
BullDog wrote:

On the off-chance that you are concentrating on the phrase rather than the actual Stevie Wonder song, have a listen to this -

https://www.reverbnation.com/theericstreetband/song/25822979-part-time-lover

And just in case it was 'Full time lover' instead -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7s1RD2cI1g

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hmmmm. Full time lover, the original and just four covers.

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/55556/ ... nav-entity

Will listen in a bit when I have had some breakfast.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”