Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Hollywood isn’t in the best of places right now.....

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Hollywood isn’t in the best of places right now.....

Postby Tedx » August 23rd, 2023, 1:55 pm

The ongoing writers and actors strikes are still in full swing, with no sign of a resolution before the Fall festival season starts. This is a problem not only for the festivals, but for the production companies seeking to promote their films and start potential awards campaigns. Beyond the festivals, if the strikes persist, the release slate for 2024 will also have to be rejigged.

Then there’s the fact that 2023 has been, so far, a blockbuster graveyard.

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2023/0 ... wood-learn

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Hollywood isn’t in the best of places right now.....

Postby Gerry557 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:19 pm

Maybe some Brit films might win something.

I noticed that there isn't much on my look forward to watching list.

Reacher season 2 on TV might be a Christmas present but on the film front Equaliser 3. Probably going to watch Oppenheimer and Missions impossible but that will only cover a few Saturday nights and they are already out.

Maybe something will cause a nice surprise.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 23rd, 2023, 4:42 pm

Maybe something will cause a nice surprise.

Very late to the party considering it's been out for years, but recently watched the whole 9 seasons of "Suits", and that did cause a nice surprise. You know, the one with Megan in it. Thought she was a fair actress as well. But the fashions, the slickness of production and great absolute laugh out loud moments was certainly a surprise to me.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » August 23rd, 2023, 7:40 pm

Talking of Oppenheimer, we've just started watching the 1980 drama series which is currently showing on BBC4. Obviously it has dated, think less Hollywood and more 'I Claudius' or 'Edge of Darkness', which is no bad thing.

We're members of the local independant cinema and missing our weekly viewing as there's a dearth of decent films now. Teenage Ninja Turtles doesn't do for us. If it carries on then I'm hoping they will start showing a few of the classics.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 24th, 2023, 9:11 am

"Teenage Ninja Turtles doesn't do for us"...... Cowabunga! You don't know what you are missing :D

It must be hard keeping up with all the modern technologies at your cinema. I don't know how you are able to pick each movie as I suspect you can't just chuck on any uhd bluray like we can at home.

Still I'm sure you offer something different and there will be a gem or two. Can't say I'd want hundreds of kids watching turtles on a Saturday morning and fighting in the car park afterwards.

Wot u gonna do if it becomes a classic :o

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”