Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

State of British TV

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: State of British TV

Postby nimnarb » September 1st, 2023, 10:27 pm

Dicky99 wrote:
didds wrote:

Plus back when there were only 2 x BBC TV channels, they also weren't broadcasting 24 hours a day. In my vague recollection there was schools TV during the day (one channel?) , with news and a magazine program around noon/early afternoon (Pebble at One ?).

Then it ALL closed down until children's TV kicked off again at about 4 or so, through to the news at 1745, and evening programming, which finished circa 2230-2300. weekends that may go as late as 0100 after a Hammer House of Horror film after MOTTD!

There was also Open university at weird hours too ?

Eeee... it were reet grand.

I seem to recall when I was a kid that on Sunday mornings the only permissible offerings were unfathomable black and white OU lectures, a programme of Asian music mostly involving a bloke playing sitar...oh and Rolf Harris teaching kids to swim.

Unfortunately, that's not all he was teaching them!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 2nd, 2023, 9:56 am

swill453 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:My TV licence is due renewal today. Unfortunately I can't think of a reason atm to do so.

Bear in mind that if you do eventually think of a reason to get a licence, it will be backdated to today. You won't get away with having a free gap.

Scott.

It doesn't. I went months licence free last time. It might if I decide in a couple of weeks time.

In fact it was the difficulty in canceling a TV Licence that I transfered it to my property in the first place.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 2nd, 2023, 5:22 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
swill453 wrote:Bear in mind that if you do eventually think of a reason to get a licence, it will be backdated to today. You won't get away with having a free gap.

Scott.

It doesn't. I went months licence free last time. It might if I decide in a couple of weeks time.

In fact it was the difficulty in canceling a TV Licence that I transfered it to my property in the first place.

Ive gone YEARS before without a TV and licence. Never had to pay the interim "gap".

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » September 8th, 2023, 5:27 pm

XFool wrote:
servodude wrote:Why don't they tell kids to "switch off their television sets and go out and do something less boring instead"? Like the TV used to?

Bring back the potter's wheel, the National Anthem at 12pm, the end tone and, most of all, the white dot! :D

(And Tomorrow's World)

I don't watch the BBC anymore except the odd program on the iplayer and I also stopped listening to Radio 4 when the got rid of the sea shanty's :lol:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 15th, 2023, 8:51 am

This woman has some interesting views on the state of TV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/televisio ... op/zvg8gwx

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”