Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The Proms

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Dod101
The full Lemon

The Proms

Postby Dod101 » September 10th, 2023, 7:53 am

....are over for another year. I tend to selectively listen to them and mostly enjoy them. I tuned in to the Last Night, last evening. Maybe it is the way I was feeling but when it came to the usual stuff in the second half (on BBC1) I switched it off and went to bed. Is it not time they gave that stuff a rest? Have they no imagination? I am as patriotic as anyone but really!

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: The Proms

Postby servodude » September 10th, 2023, 8:59 am

Dod101 wrote:....are over for another year. I tend to selectively listen to them and mostly enjoy them. I tuned in to the Last Night, last evening. Maybe it is the way I was feeling but when it came to the usual stuff in the second half (on BBC1) I switched it off and went to bed. Is it not time they gave that stuff a rest? Have they no imagination? I am as patriotic as anyone but really!

Dod

But Dod there would be an uproar if they changed it.

It might be the only classical concert some people ever watch or attend (ever! not just annually!)
and it's not about the music
it's just about the EVENT, the spectacle, the flags and being able to hum along to a tune even if you don't know what it is called or who it is by

So while it might be the most boringly predictable programme in the calendar it is so precisely because that is its purpose

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 10th, 2023, 9:04 am

servodude wrote:it's just about the EVENT, the spectacle, the EU flags ...

There, corrected that for you ;)

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 10th, 2023, 9:14 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:it's just about the EVENT, the spectacle, the EU flags ...

There, corrected that for you ;)

Consider the audience: middle class Londoners. Of course they are Remainers. Most anyway ;)

Hold the event in Barnsley or Hartlepool and it would be Union Jacks or England flags.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 10th, 2023, 9:20 am

Terrific series of concerts this year, I thought. Apart from a couple of pop-culture or west-end-musical derivatives - and an interminable Walton dirge :roll: - there was so much to enjoy. The Chineke performance was stunning, and the youth orchestra, and the young stand-in who played the Rach 2 piano concerto (at 48 hours' notice!) was properly outstanding.

As for the guy with no arms who played the Mozart horn concerto with his feet, I suspect you wouldn't have caught the full wonder of that performance from a radio broadcast. ;)

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 10th, 2023, 9:28 am

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:There, corrected that for you ;)

Consider the audience: middle class Londoners. Of course they are Remainers. Most anyway ;)

Hold the event in Barnsley or Hartlepool and it would be Union Jacks or England flags.

If you think the last night of the proms (any of them!) is elitist you might want to give up your subscription to Razzle ;)

They're a bit of trashy fun - just remember to get to the bar early (and try to have a mate running that side of things so you don't have to suffer the charges at the Albert Hall or indeed the GRCH !)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 10th, 2023, 9:36 am

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:Consider the audience: middle class Londoners. Of course they are Remainers. Most anyway ;)

If you think the last night of the proms (any of them!) is elitist you might want to give up your subscription to Razzle ;)

They're a bit of trashy fun - just remember to get to the bar early (and try to have a mate running that side of things so you don't have to suffer the charges at the Albert Hall or indeed the GRCH !)

I only ever went once and it must have been 40 years ago. Not my thing. And I actually like classical music. But "mostly" newer stuff like Stravinsky and Shostakovich, so that probably makes me a charlatan pleb anyway.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 10th, 2023, 9:51 am

Lootman wrote:Hold the event in Barnsley or Hartlepool and it would be Union Jacks or England flags.

Ah, Hartlepool. Where they hanged a monkey on the beach, believing it to be a french spy.

And then elected Peter Mandelson. I ask you. :roll:

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 10th, 2023, 9:54 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Lootman wrote:Hold the event in Barnsley or Hartlepool and it would be Union Jacks or England flags.

Ah, Hartlepool. Where they hanged a monkey on the beach, believing it to be a french spy.

And then elected Peter Mandelson. I ask you. :roll:

I have been there. And in fact nowhere worse.

It now has a Tory MP, naturally.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 10th, 2023, 10:18 am

bungeejumper wrote:Terrific series of concerts this year, I thought. Apart from a couple of pop-culture or west-end-musical derivatives - and an interminable Walton dirge :roll: - there was so much to enjoy. The Chineke performance was stunning, and the youth orchestra, and the young stand-in who played the Rach 2 piano concerto (at 48 hours' notice!) was properly outstanding.

As for the guy with no arms who played the Mozart horn concerto with his feet, I suspect you wouldn't have caught the full wonder of that performance from a radio broadcast. ;)

BJ

I did not listen to all of the concerts but that was not what I was commenting about anyway. Just that Last Night stuff.

Dod

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”