Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Top Gear no more

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Top Gear no more

Postby Tedx » November 21st, 2023, 3:40 pm

...for the 'forseeable future'

The BBC's flagship show Top Gear will not return "for the foreseeable future" after presenter Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff was hurt in a crash while filming last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67333907

McGuiness and Flintoff never really worked for me. I liked Chris Harris, he knew what he was talking about and could drive a car.

Maybe it's time for a new, new Top Gear. I more serious version, fronted by Harris with perhaps a couple of other motoring journos (Not just tv/sports personalities) and to leave all the silly stuff to those who do it better (the other TG).

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Top Gear no more

Postby Leothebear » November 21st, 2023, 5:02 pm

Tedx wrote:...for the 'forseeable future'

The BBC's flagship show Top Gear will not return "for the foreseeable future" after presenter Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff was hurt in a crash while filming last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67333907

McGuiness and Flintoff never really worked for me. I liked Chris Harris, he knew what he was talking about and could drive a car.

Maybe it's time for a new, new Top Gear. I more serious version, fronted by Harris with perhaps a couple of other motoring journos (Not just tv/sports personalities) and to leave all the silly stuff to those who do it better (the other TG).

Not too bothered TBH. I have found "Wheeler Dealers" far more interesting. Although Mike Brewer can be a bit OTT, by and large his mechanics have been great at making their work fascinating for me. I thought Ant Anstead was superb in the patient way he described the work he undertook.
Edd China was more a cumudgeon but still good and what I've seen of Elvis is OK.

I just like the idea of giving an older but quality car, a new lease of life, far more than the destruction derby that was Top Gear.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Top Gear no more

Postby Tedx » November 21st, 2023, 5:50 pm

Yeah, I like WD too. And I agree that Ant was probably the best Saying that, Ed had to deal with some right piles of crud in his early days, whereas Ant normally had a decent (I e. Rust free) base to start with.

I didn't like Elvis at the start. If was clear that engines were his thing (how many times did they mention 'F1 engineer' in the first series?)....and they seemed to gloss over/outsource the other stuff.

As for Mike....well I skip through most of his bits. From whooping and screaming everytime he gets behind the wheel to the fake deals at the end (cue punter crouching down looking along the lines of the car while Mike rattles on to the camera about "making a profit'. Yawn.

Now I would watch a car prog with Chris Harris and Ant Anstead co hosting. There you go media bods. Make it happen!

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”