Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Ripley. Netflix.

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Ripley. Netflix.

Postby nimnarb » April 7th, 2024, 10:15 pm

Based on the 90’s film The Talented Mr. Ripley. This is a slow burner and for those who have seen the original, possibly won't think of giving it the time of day as know the outcome. But the atmosphere and photography plus done in black and white, as we are taken around Italy, is simply terrific. 8 episodes I think, I'm onto the 5th. Without giving anything away, I had forgotten a few things, so there was a certain boat scene that I won't forget. Well worth the time, especially if you never saw the original.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Ripley. Netflix.

Postby monabri » April 8th, 2024, 12:09 am

It received quite a poor review by The Telegraph (originally 1/5 but they seem to have reconsidered to 2/5).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2024/04/ ... nny-flynn/

Personally, I quite enjoyed the episodes I've seen so far (up to 5) but it is a little slow going.

p.s. How did Freddie manage to get a haircut in the time it took to go down from Dickies/Tom's Roma apartment in the lift and back again in episode 5?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » April 8th, 2024, 3:07 am

p.s. How did Freddie manage to get a haircut in the time it took to go down from Dickies/Tom's Roma apartment in the lift and back again in episode 5?

Oh yes and how does a soaking salt watered wet lighter immediately work, amongst other oddities, but just finished and actually thought, albeit a bit slow in parts, it was quite riveting and beautifully done. Thought Freddy was a girl to begin with.
A right binge watch.

p.s. Think the cat should win an Oscar. 8-) 8-)

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 8th, 2024, 8:56 am

I read the book and saw the film in that order. Good thing because if I'd seen the film first I wouldn't have bothered to read the book.

It's a good story however one which stretches credibility too far which means however well its redone it will always face those credibility obstacles.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 23rd, 2024, 9:49 am

Just finished watching the series and found it entrancing, studied, tense and, I suspect, many would classify as arty. The DT review was an outlier - many critics have praised the series.

Having been a Patricia Highsmith fan for many decades, I have read all 5 Ripley books. As already mentioned, the series is based on the Talented Mr Ripley - the first in the series. Many films and tv series have been made over the years and many talented actors have played Ripley. I would particularly recommend the American Friend based on Ripley's Friend.

IMHO - this latest version deserves to be viewed as one of the best adaptations. The photography is sensational - the acting top draw including the cat. A minor criticism is that one 'disposal' scene was a little too long. Of course credibility is stretched as times - but that is being faithful to Highsmith.

Incidentally, Freddy is played by Eliot Sumner who is the non-binary offspring of Sting and Trudie Styler. They had it coming.

T7

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 27th, 2024, 9:54 pm

Just finished episode eight and I would agree with T7's views on the series. I enjoyed it immensely, the photography and the cat were both brilliant. The underlying tongue in cheek playing of what is in parts quite a dark and gruesome tale made it highly entertaining and it is a change to watch something that is happy to stretch out some scenes perhaps a little longer than we are used to in these times of instant gratification.

PS Was it just me or did many of the characters look like Freddie Mercury. :D

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”