Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Couple of suggestions from Prime

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Couple of suggestions from Prime

Postby redsturgeon » April 11th, 2024, 2:02 pm

If you like a sci-fi superhero dydtopian future vibe with a touch of Pulp Fiction graphic content then a couple of recent Amazon prime offerings might suit.

Warning don't try these unless you are happy with irreverent adult humour with strong swearing and sexual content.

First up is "The Boys" which is a tongue in cheek look at how the superhero genre might really work out with less than saintly superheros in a corrupt capitalist society. Bit gory in places and very sweary.

Next is "Fallout" which is explained here.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -a-tv-show

I repeat my warning, not for the squeamish but a wild entertaining ride otherwise.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Couple of suggestions from Prime

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2024, 2:42 pm

redsturgeon wrote:If you like a sci-fi superhero dydtopian future vibe with a touch of Pulp Fiction graphic content then a couple of recent Amazon prime offerings might suit.

Warning don't try these unless you are happy with irreverent adult humour with strong swearing and sexual content.

First up is "The Boys" which is a tongue in cheek look at how the superhero genre might really work out with less than saintly superheros in a corrupt capitalist society. Bit gory in places and very sweary.

Next is "Fallout" which is explained here.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -a-tv-show

I repeat my warning, not for the squeamish but a wild entertaining ride otherwise.

Is the warning for both?

I've not watched either... but they are both under consideration (currently working through Shogun and deciding if Richard Burton is a good look for a "gay pirate"....Yo Ho Sebastian! cos it took me half an episode to realise where i knew him from )

Anyway..
I have read all of The Boys and I was a bit unsure when they started filming which side of the fence they were coming down on (see also Startship Troopers) .... to be fair though I wasn't that sure I was comfortable with a lot of the source either!

- and I've played (most of) Fallout - well I got bored during 4 when it became more generic (but that might be more representative of its influence than content)... but I love a Googie vibe in architecture etc... and have taken tours stateside to find as much as I can
I'm a bit surprised that the fact Fallout was being filmed wasn't publicised more
- that could be clever? but there is also a reason why some things don't get screened!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Couple of suggestions from Prime

Postby kempiejon » April 11th, 2024, 2:54 pm

If you like a sci-fi superhero dydtopian future vibe with a touch of Pulp Fiction graphic content then a couple of recent Amazon prime offerings might suit.

Oh I do.

Ah yes Boyz, defo sweary, gory and irreverent. Just my sort of thing. I enjoyed Karl Urban (Dr McCoy) as Butcher.
There's a teen spin-off Gen V for which I assume I'm not the target audience. Eating disorders and menstruation as super powers.

redsturgeon wrote:Next is "Fallout"

I'll pop it on the list, I didn't read the link once I saw the mention of spoilers.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”