Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is this the greatest movie of the 21st century?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Is this the greatest movie of the 21st century?

Postby terminal7 » November 21st, 2023, 5:13 pm

Just seen Killers of the Flower Moon directed by Scorsese. 50 years after Mean Streets, Scorsese is still capable of coming up with yet another masterpiece - some achievement. No spoilers - just go and see - slight warning though - it comes in at just under three and a half hours.

T7

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Is this the greatest movie of the 21st century?

Postby Laughton » November 21st, 2023, 7:19 pm

Yep, really want to see it but it's that three and a half hours spec that's the problem for me.
Will have to wait until it's available on DVD or one of the streaming services to allow for pauses.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 21st, 2023, 7:30 pm

Laughton wrote:Yep, really want to see it but it's that three and a half hours spec that's the problem for me. Will have to wait until it's available on DVD or one of the streaming services to allow for pauses.

Yeah, it is at least 5 years since I went to any cinema. And for a movie that long I would need at least one pee break.

My home AV room setup is 55 inch screen plus 6-speaker surround sound with a (bodacious) sub-woofer, so it works well enough.

Bonus point for getting the "bodacious" TV reference.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 21st, 2023, 7:43 pm

Yeah, I can't see any incentive to head out to the flicks these days.

Sad, but true.

55 inch OLED 4k UHD, 5.1 surround sound. Wine. Sweeties. Recliner chair. Toilet. Pause button. Still having Thirty quid in my wallet at the end of the night and being Ng able to feel my legs.

Last movie at the pictures was Guardians 3. I also watched it at home (because I couldn't hear the dialogue through the cinema speakers all that well). Home wins. By a mile.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 21st, 2023, 9:25 pm

Took the boss to the Dolby Cinema near Leeds as its supposed to be one of the best ones available.

Dolby Cinema
Dramatic imaging that delivers a spectacular, leading-edge visual experience through the Dolby Vision® dual laser projection system.
Moving audio which fills the cinema and flows all around you with Dolby Atmos®. Every guest enjoys a truly immersive and unforgettable cinematic experience, no matter where they sit in the 266 seat auditorium.

Her comment was it sounds better at home. I have invested in it though and the large screen fills the wall. Apart from the advantages up thread we can adjust the volume, can filter noisey people and any food and drink is on hand.

There is a delay getting the new stuff as needs to be released. OK there is doggy sites but it doesn't come with the quality for my needs.

As for the greatest movie in the 21st century, is that to date or a foreshadowing. I hope there are more greater movies to come. This is on my Watchlist and with a headline like that I might have to go out of my way to avoid spoilers.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 23rd, 2023, 10:30 am

Tedx wrote:Yeah, I can't see any incentive to head out to the flicks these days.

Sad, but true.

55 inch OLED 4k UHD, 5.1 surround sound. Wine. Sweeties. Recliner chair. Toilet. Pause button. Still having Thirty quid in my wallet at the end of the night and being Ng able to feel my legs.

Last movie at the pictures was Guardians 3. I also watched it at home (because I couldn't hear the dialogue through the cinema speakers all that well). Home wins. By a mile.

Still having Thirty quid in my wallet at the end of the night and being able to feel my legs. :lol:

Yep. Brings back memories! Especially when taking kids, or kids and their snotty-nosed friends for birthday treats. :twisted:

Though some memories when I was young, that only the cinema could provide.

The speakers making the whole cinema shake as the imperial cruiser glides across the screen at the start of Star Wars.

The feeling of having nowhere to hide and the whole cinema jumping at the first attack in Alien.

The infectious laughter during the Biggus Dickus scene in Life of Brian.

But these days I have to balance that against the ease of choosing subtitles, toilet breaks, snacks

.... and knowing that if I fall asleep, I can rewind!

Steve

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 23rd, 2023, 10:53 am

Yeah, Ive had some epic nights out at the cinema in my younger days (I'm talking 9 years old to maybe mid teens). In on the bus with my mates, chips at the chippy, then the pictures. The cinema itself was a much grander affair back then. Multiple doors in the centre of the high street, an expansive entrance hallway to either the downstairs seats or up the very wide stairs the balcony - there was even a cocktail type bar in there - I recall blue lighting and sexy music. Maybe it was a stripjoint. We we're never allowed in.

And the auditiorium itself was only one screen.

I'll never forget being on that balcony in a packed cinama and the opening titles for Star Wars (age 9) suddenly blasting though the speakers, then the sight of the Imperial Starship bearing down on the rebel cruiser. We were all wide eyed and gobsmacked. We cheered when Luke blew up the Death Star and booed whenever Darth Vader came on screen.

After the film, it was many, many hours of post movie analysis, mostly prefixed with 'Did you see the bit when......?' (which is a pretty stupid question when the person you were asking was sitting next to you).

Ah....heady days indeed!
Last edited by Tedx on November 23rd, 2023, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 23rd, 2023, 10:55 am

stevensfo wrote:
Tedx wrote:Yeah, I can't see any incentive to head out to the flicks these days.

Sad, but true.

Still having Thirty quid in my wallet at the end of the night and being able to feel my legs. :lol:

Yep. Brings back memories! Especially when taking kids, or kids and their snotty-nosed friends for birthday treats. :twisted:

The speakers making the whole cinema shake as the imperial cruiser glides across the screen at the start of Star Wars.

The feeling of having nowhere to hide and the whole cinema jumping at the first attack in Alien.

But these days I have to balance that against the ease of choosing subtitles, toilet breaks, snacks

Steve

The head rolling out the bottom of the boat in 'Jaws'. Cue a collective crapping of (underage) pants in row C

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 23rd, 2023, 11:11 am

Tedx wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

The head rolling out the bottom of the boat in 'Jaws'. Cue a collective crapping of (underage) pants in row C

I never saw Jaws at the cinema, though my mum did, and she was actually quite affected by it. For years, she couldn't bear to hear that recurring theme that you hear whenever something's going to happen, and which gets faster and faster until.... A clever bit of music! Still sends shivers down my spine.

Steve

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 23rd, 2023, 11:26 am

Sitting in the front row of the balcony and dropping things on those below, or laughing loudly altogether in totally random places in a film.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 23rd, 2023, 11:31 am

Sad, but true.

Not entirely, not for me anyhow. I like the idea of going out and having a special occasion; seeing other people, what their wearing, what they laugh at or cry at, being together in a group; sitting having a glass of wine in a comfortable lounge bar; seeing things which stimulate me in the streets and surroundings.

These I value all these things and more. I often go out for entertainment and would miss the interaction with the world if I didn't. Why would I want always to be closetted up at home alone? I go to a couple of very good small local cinemas which are more appealing that those monstrous big screens which I and others object to - I would rather not go to those, and I don't often need to. The smaller cinemas tend to have limited circulation films which interest me. A couple of examples: Mathilde (a historical story about Romanov royalty, banned in Russia for a while); Fanny, The Other Mendelssohn; Romeo and Juliet, Beyond words (in my view the best version of the ballet, shot on location); Typist Artist Pirate King (about the artist, Audrey Amiss).

All of these I very much enjoyed going out to watch, and one or two I might not even have known about had I not watched the cinema schedules. Add to that, of course, many opera and ballet live broadcasts which can be quite a nice occasion (take some wine or prosecco, as people do) and mostly you cannot get them at home, except for recorded ones.

As they say: each to his own.

Arb.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 23rd, 2023, 2:31 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Sitting in the front row of the balcony and dropping things on those below, or laughing loudly altogether in totally random places in a film.

Pea shooters and water filled baloons from the balcony during Saturday morning flics :twisted:

(No-one can detect who I really am from this post...............can they??)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 23rd, 2023, 2:35 pm

.....Pea shooters and water filled baloons from the balcony

For us, it was mainly bogies.

It seems we were distictly low tech compared to everyone else.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2023, 6:12 pm

I remember watching Mary Poppins at the Odeon when it came out. I went on my own, catching a bus and watched it through twice (in those days they just ran the film continuously and you came in halfway through if you missed the start).

I was 8 years old, times have changed.

Tonight I am off to watch Napoleon. I will be sitting on a comfortable sofa and having a glass of wine during the film.

Times have indeed changed.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 23rd, 2023, 7:03 pm

Steve[/quote]

The head rolling out the bottom of the boat in 'Jaws'. Cue a collective crapping of (underage) pants in row C[/quote]

Even on second viewing, knowing what was coming... The audience reaction was worse than the film.

On the 3rd viewing I'd learnt to close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears.

Still I have it in 4k now can't wait until the the kids are old enough. :shock:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 23rd, 2023, 10:32 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Steve

The head rolling out the bottom of the boat in 'Jaws'. Cue a collective crapping of (underage) pants in row C[/quote]

Even on second viewing, knowing what was coming... The audience reaction was worse than the film.

On the 3rd viewing I'd learnt to close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears.

Still I have it in 4k now can't wait until the the kids are old enough. :shock:[/quote]

Works best if they are almost old enough; so you get the amplified effect but the nightmares don't go for too long... make sure you're watching them rather than the sreen ;)

That said... it was Bridge to Terabithia that really upset them; and that's a PG!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 23rd, 2023, 11:36 pm

Taking my mother to see Eraserhead for a midnight showing in Belsize Park, mid to late 70's early 80's, can't recall exactly, and seeing all these weird people dressed up mostly with their hair escalating upwards plus wearing giant sperm costumes and her commenting on what on earth is going on here. I had no idea we would be presented with this fun exhibition of people beforehand, and just knew we were in for a fun evening without realizing the consequences.

We had already seen the film about a year before that, plus I wanted to see it again and for whatever reason asked my mother since she lived nearby to join us.

My wife and I were in absolute hysterics during certain scenes and for those that have seen this ultimate horror movie(some might call it a love story), you will know what I am talking about, as my mother started to make noises of disgust, and we kept telling her to be patient, as he was coming soon. She eventually walked out, as I was impossible and couldn't stop sniggering.

You see I had previously told her that this was a special midnight showing of Ryan O'Neil and Love Story part 2, and she said that the guy with the weirdo hairstyle looked nothing like her fav actor Ryan O'Neil and the missus shouted out that he had just undergone total facial re-construction, and I just totally lost it. But worse was to come, when the birth happened(worse in my opinion than the scene from Alien), one of us said, that's Ryan's son and Love story part 3, it was then I think she just got up and walked out...........

Sounds awful now, some 50 plus years or so later. What a great sport she was. :oops:

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 24th, 2023, 8:36 am

The Exorcist completely freaked me out.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 24th, 2023, 10:20 am

Oh well, if we're talking about scary bits of film:-

The coming alive and fighting scene of skeletons in Jason & The Argonauts (nothing special nowadays, but hide behind someone when you're 10 years old).

Oh, and how about another 60s film the name of which escapes me - the scene where (I think) prisoners were sent down a long guillotine effectively being split in two. Pretty sure I could only bring myself to watch that one but remember 50 plus years later. Probably considered tame today.

Surely must have been X rated in their day so probably snuck in through the Fire Exit :roll:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 24th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Laughton wrote:Oh well, if we're talking about scary bits of film:-

The coming alive and fighting scene of skeletons in Jason & The Argonauts (nothing special nowadays, but hide behind someone when you're 10 years old).

Oh, and how about another 60s film the name of which escapes me - the scene where (I think) prisoners were sent down a long guillotine effectively being split in two. Pretty sure I could only bring myself to watch that one but remember 50 plus years later. Probably considered tame today.

Surely must have been X rated in their day so probably snuck in through the Fire Exit :roll:

I remember all those scenes. Yes, the special effects in those days had us all terrified. I proved this many years ago when I showed our youngest son, 'Dr Who and the Green Death' with Jon Pertwee etc. He was terrified of the giant maggots. Fast forward and he just laughed. Like all those scenes, you can see the strings pulling them along, but when you're only 10, well... Same with me and the Tomb of the Cybermen. I was sooo scared when I was little.

The horrible guillotine thingy was an ancient Greek invention, I think. Not sure, but didn't one of the Mad Max movies have something similar?

Don't think they were X-rated. My memories of the 70s are those where most violence and torture were just shrugged off, otherwise how would teachers be able to enjoy themselves? ;) But any serious adult sexual content was completely banned!

Steve

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”