Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Most popular, TV radio programmes

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Most popular, TV radio programmes

Postby cinelli » November 21st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Years and years ago the Daily Telegraph used to show a weekly list of the most popular TV programmes. Would Coronation Street beat Eastenders? In those days a fuss was made of whether the BBC had more than 50% of viewers. If not were we getting value for our licence fee? But I haven’t seen this information for a long time. Is it still published anywhere? Do the reality shows have more viewers than soaps? How many watch drama?

But information I have never seen is which radio programmes are the most popular. Radio 4’s Feedback programme recent announced the RAJAR figures for network stations. Radio One is in the doldrums at present as teenagers no longer listen to the radio. But I would be interested in which Radio 4 programmes have most listeners. I guess Today and the Archers are top but how many listen to comedy or afternoon drama? RAJAR has a website but the fact that you have to register seems to imply the site is not for the casual browser.

Does anyone know whether details of viewers/listeners to individual programmes are available anywhere?

Cinelli

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Most popular, TV radio programmes

Postby Clitheroekid » November 21st, 2017, 8:40 pm

There are some detailed figures here :

https://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2017/10 ... -networks/

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » November 24th, 2017, 12:14 pm

That is a very interesting website. Thank you, For TV it lists the top 25 shows but, curiously, excludes soaps. And for radio it goes into extraordinary detail of listeners for stations but doesn't mention individual programmes. Or perhaps I overlooked something.

Cinelli

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 24th, 2017, 7:38 pm

cinelli wrote:... But I would be interested in which Radio 4 programmes have most listeners. I guess Today and the Archers are top but how many listen to comedy or afternoon drama? ...

Does anyone know whether details of viewers/listeners to individual programmes are available anywhere?

Cinelli

Some numbers here from 2016:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... io-4-today

Today 7.02 million.
The Archers 4.84 million.
Woman’s Hour 3.69 million.
Desert Island Discs 2.97 million.

I've yet to find the source for those figures nor the additional detail you are after.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”