Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Favourite films of 2017?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Favourite films of 2017?

Postby zico » January 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Thought I'd do a quick review of last year before we get too far into 2018.
Overall a pretty good year for films (at least the ones I saw) with comparatively few duds.

My favourite film of the year - Paddington 2, just ahead of the far more downbeat but impressive films Detroit and Silence.

Best of the rest - Thor Ragnarok, Hacksaw Ridge, Wind River, Baby Driver, Dunkirk.

Also thoroughly enjoyed Victoria & Abdul, Limehouse Golem, Beauty & the Beast, American Made, Logan Lucky, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Hidden Figures.

Stinker of the year - Captain Underpants! (Wouldn't have watched this, but for Mark Kermode saying it was very funny - thanks a bunch Mark)

Biggest disappointments for me - La La Land (last year's Oscar winner, if only for 30 seconds) & Blade Runner 2 (maybe this year's Oscar winner) so clearly I'm way out of step with the great and good from Hollywood.

What were your favourites?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Favourite films of 2017?

Postby DiamondEcho » January 13th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I've only been to the cinema 4-5 times this year and was disappointed at the lot, all headline UK/US things. Nothing memorable. Rather what stands out is the use of over complex flash back/forward/back/[[???? you decide 'Ha got you!']/forward, and so on. Yawn...

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 21st, 2018, 4:39 pm

Thought 2018 was one of the worst years for films but just think I am getting old and seen it all. La La bloody land!! La La is right..total hyped up unadulterated tosh.

Give me films like....Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape, Brief Encounters, Shawshank, Midnight Express, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Alien. Action, drama, great acting, sincerity, thoughtful, with money and time well spent at the cinema.

What do we get now...uncalled for violence, rape, ffiing this in every other word, boredom mostly with 90 minutes generally wasted and having dispensed of your popcorn, drinks and whatever, totally forgetting the film you went to see in the first place. Less 30 quid.

I will get my coat.

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Postby argoal » January 22nd, 2018, 4:06 pm

I can't let the comment that 2017 was one of the worst years or films go unchecked.

My favourites.

Paddington 2 - sheer joy.
Heal the Living (Reparer-les-Vivants) - Great film making
My Life as a Courgette - Brilliant animated story telling (made in 2016 but released last summe in the UK)
Trainspotting 2 - Not perfect but very, very funny in places

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 31st, 2018, 9:35 pm

Out of the selection of 70 or so films from 2017 I saw.

Favourite films -
- The Party - A very dry comedy that is more a stage play than a film
- The Death of Stalin - Just superb
- Paddington 2 - I doubted this could be as good as the first, but was even better by not needing to introduce the characters
- Blade Runner 2049 - An art-house sci-fi film, but I could see why it got a marmite response.

Worst film - King Arthur - When David Beckham is not the worst actor in your film you have a problem.

Terrible, but entertainingly terrible - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Rubbish, but compulsive viewing just to see where on earth it was going. Clive Owen was awful though.

Surprisingly good - Baywatch - I expected it to be awful, but it was actually knew what it was and as a result was pretty good.

Disappointing - Suburbicon - Two stories glued together for no reason

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”