Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Roy Orbison

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Roy Orbison

Postby nimnarb » January 7th, 2018, 1:24 am

For me, growing up in the 60's, there was The Beatles, Elvis and Roy. Only have 8 days left to watch this incredibly sad story of Roy Orbison and his family. A lot of footage never seen before. One of the most extraordinary, effortless and natural singer that I have ever seen. If you missed this programme, not to be missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... d=b09j0r8s

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Re: Roy Orbison

Postby panamagold » January 7th, 2018, 10:37 am

Possible Glastonbury performance/appearance 2019

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 7th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I've always found Orbison a bit too soft and teenage pop, even his early Sun recordings. Of the Sun artists I always preferred Jerry Lee Lewis. Carl Perkins was good too.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Not my style either, really. Way too smooth for my raucous tastes. Although for some reason I did like Only Baloney. :lol:

Some of it was also a little un-PC by today's standards. Anybody want to bet on "Pretty Woman" happening at Glasto? A paean to street-pestering men everywhere! https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/royorbi ... woman.html

Whatever. A lot of people loved him, and fair enough.

BJ

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » January 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

He was an excellent harmony addition for the Travelling Wilburys. Not many of them left now.

JMN2 wrote: Carl Perkins was good too.

If Elvis Preley and Jimi Hendrix cover your songs I think you're a tad more than good. ;) As Paul McCartney is quoted as saying "If there were no Carl Perkins, there would be no Beatles."
Shame about the rug/syrup.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 7th, 2018, 8:34 pm

One of the most extraordinary, effortless and natural singer that I have ever seen. If you missed this programme, not to be missed.

Nice to meet someone else who liked Orbison (I still listen at intervals to his music with pleasure). A teen in the 60s I was a big fan even though his type of music didn't really fit with the sort of things I tended to like. He had a remarkable vocal range and the thing was that, unlike many of his contemporaries, he actually could sing effectively in a live setting.

He was also a most fascinating performer in that mostly he did not perform beyond singing. I saw him live at the City Hall in Newcastle upon Tyne and he just stood there. He wore fairly plain clothing, he didn't dance, he didn't gyrate around his guitar, he didn't talk beyond the odd 'thank you very much' and the occasional extremely brief intro to a song - usually just a sentence - he didn't make eye contact with the audience because he was wearing those shades, yet he had the audience in the palm of his hand.

Also noteworthy that by that time most performers were 'fading out' their songs - which works okay on the radio but always looks awkward in a live performance. Orbison tended to bring his songs to a very definite finish - the most definite example being 'Pretty Woman' - and it certainly made for a more impressive live performance.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 7th, 2018, 10:30 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:
He wore fairly plain clothing, he didn't dance, he didn't gyrate around his guitar, he didn't talk beyond the odd 'thank you very much' and the occasional extremely brief intro to a song - usually just a sentence - he didn't make eye contact with the audience because he was wearing those shades, yet he had the audience in the palm of his hand.

That's funny because I would use exactly the same words for Jeff Lynne, who I saw at Wembley last June, a fellow Travelling Wilbury. There's only two of them left now.

I saw the programme over Christmas and was shocked to hear of the sad events in his life. It makes you wonder how one carries on living, never mind performing again.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 8th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Another fan of Roy Orbison here .
The 2nd ever 45rpm I bought was Dream Baby .
Went to see him at the Nottingham Odeon in May 1963 when the initial main support act (at the start of the tour) were The Beatles.
However The Beatles had just released From Me To You and Beatlemania took hold so Roy finished off the first half of the show and Beatles finished the second half .

Others on the bill :

Gerry and Pacemakers
David McBeth ,
Louise Cordet
Ian Crawford
Erkey Grant
Terry Young Six

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 9th, 2018, 9:36 am

poundcoin wrote:Another fan of Roy Orbison here .
Went to see him at the Nottingham Odeon in May 1963 when the initial main support act (at the start of the tour) were The Beatles.
However The Beatles had just released From Me To You and Beatlemania took hold so Roy finished off the first half of the show and Beatles finished the second half .

Others on the bill :

Gerry and Pacemakers
David McBeth ,
Louise Cordet
Ian Crawford
Erkey Grant
Terry Young Six

This a great resource but unfortunately it is missing Orbison, which is strange.

http://www.americanrocknrolluktours.co.uk/acts/

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 9th, 2018, 11:28 am

JMN2 wrote:
poundcoin wrote:Another fan of Roy Orbison here .

Others on the bill :

Gerry and Pacemakers
David McBeth ,
Louise Cordet
Ian Crawford
Erkey Grant
Terry Young Six

This a great resource but unfortunately it is missing Orbison, which is strange.

http://www.americanrocknrolluktours.co.uk/acts/

I saw this yesterday, in case PoundCoin hasn't searched:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/23 ... ottingham/

Thursday 23 May 1963 ... The fifth night of The Beatles' UK tour with Roy Orbison ...

More about the tour here and a flyer:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/18 ... ur-begins/

Where Harrison is shown as having stated:

And the audience would go wild. We'd be waiting there and he'd do another big encore and we'd be thinking, 'How are we going to follow this?' It was really serious stuff.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 9th, 2018, 7:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I saw this yesterday, in case PoundCoin hasn't searched:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/23 ... ottingham/

Thursday 23 May 1963 ... The fifth night of The Beatles' UK tour with Roy Orbison ...

More about the tour here and a flyer:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/18 ... ur-begins/

Wow thanks PD , great to see an actual poster/flyer for that tour ! (ahem may have to print that off !)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”