Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Films of 2018

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
XFool
The full Lemon

Films of 2018

Postby XFool » February 5th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Well, I saw 'The Post' today, directed by Speilberg starring Tom Hanks (Ben Bradley) and Merryl Streep (Katherine Graham). I enjoyed it and found it a very satisfying film. From memory I did not pay all that much attention at the time to The Pentagon Papers and yet I followed the film perfectly, always knew what was going on and indeed was frequently ahead of the film, knowing what was happening and what was going to happen next and why. Was able to remember and even in some cases recognise (McNamara - no surprise) the 'actors' from the time. The film carried you along naturally and clearly.

Only really one knee knocking filmic moment - as Tom Hanks (Bradley) stood in the middle of the Post's compositing room after Graham explained why she believed what newspapers and The Post were for: "Yep. That's the way it is!"

I knew Katherine Graham's husband (Phil Graham) had died prematurely at 48, but hadn't known he had killed himself; which is how she came to be the manager of the paper. (Investing aside - Of course, it was Warren Buffet who eventually became a friend and advisor to Graham) Spielberg covered the 'women's angle' competently and with some subtlety in two filmic visual moments and also in a monologue from Ben Bradley's wife, after Bradley had responded to his wife's comment that "Katherine was brave to go ahead" with a plea that "Others are brave too" (Me!) where she explained to her husband how especially brave Katherine Graham had been when you have been (as a woman) regarded as inferior, of no importance, a nonentity and even invisible.

The ending of the film was exactly as one might expect (you KNOW what it was!) but nevertheless, however expected, it was well done and they should be allowed the inevitable ending. ;)

But that, of course, is another and earlier film...

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Films of 2018

Postby XFool » February 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Ben Bradley should be: Ben Bradlee

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: The Post

Postby PinkDalek » February 5th, 2018, 7:18 pm

zico score it 4/10:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=9731

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: The Post

Postby XFool » February 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

PinkDalek wrote:zico score it 4/10

zico wrote:
The film works best if you look on it as Spielberg's take on the Trump era and the feminist movement. There's plenty of stuff about how the media worries about the consequences of crossing a dangerous and vindictive US president (Nixon then), about how women were/are marginalised and ignored, and also about the importance of First Amendment freedom of the press stuff.

This crossed my mind.

zico wrote:
I checked my watch quite a few times during this one. Both Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep turned in decent enough performances, but I'm amazed that Meryl Streep was shortlisted as Best Actress for her performance in this.
Even more surprised to find this film is shortlisted for Best Picture, which I can only assume is because it ticks the anti-Trump and pro-women boxes. Ready to buy and eat my hat if either this wins Best Picture, or Frances McDormand doesn't win Best Actress.

Maybe you had to be there , or at least for the later Watergate (How old was the reviewer?). Which, of course, the ending of this film prefigured.

I can see that this is a generational film. Either you will find it easy to follow and fascinating, or it is likely obscure and uninteresting.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”