Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

The (risks to the) US Economy

including Budgets
Steveam
Lemon Slice

The (risks to the) US Economy

Postby Steveam » May 16th, 2024, 11:32 am

An interesting article from the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd131v26dneo

I suspect the Sino/Russia axis will be keen to destabilise the $. I’m not sure what one can do to protect oneself although gold jumps to mind and I’m minded to increase my exposure. (I just don’t understand enough about Bitcoin to know whether it might offer an alternative safe haven).

Best wishes,

Steve

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Re: The (risks to the) US Economy

Postby MuddyBoots » May 16th, 2024, 4:30 pm

Steveam wrote:An interesting article from the BBC

I suspect the Sino/Russia axis will be keen to destabilise the $. I’m not sure what one can do to protect oneself although gold jumps to mind and I’m minded to increase my exposure. (I just don’t understand enough about Bitcoin to know whether it might offer an alternative safe haven).

Best wishes, Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm starting to think of an emergency plan if there's a major geo-political event causing markets to tumble. Like a panic room for my investments, which have a lot of US exposure through global index trackers, so they can ride out turbulence such as we had recently with covid.

With a fund manager, buying & selling a unit trust fund isn't very quick, it can take a day or two for transactions to go through but it is what it is.
In terms of asset types, I guess gold is an option, though as an amateur investor I don't know the best vehicle for tracking gold. Crypto still seems very 'wild west' to me and I don't think I would sleep at night putting a big lump of savings into that.

Other thoughts include gilts/bonds and of course cash. Perhaps a spread of 2 or 3 types to play it safe. But I'd value other folk's thoughts on this subject though. Is it a good idea to switch out of shares if there's a swing in the big economies, or to hold on and wait for the upswing?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: The (risks to the) US Economy

Postby 1nvest » May 16th, 2024, 7:39 pm

Steveam wrote:An interesting article from the BBC

Best wishes,

Steve

If stocks were unavailable I'd probably be thirds each home, rented property(s)/commercial rentals, gold. With stocks available and I prefer those to renting (no 3am callouts on Christmas morning when a water pipe bursts). Given a UK £ home and gold, a reasonable choice is US$ invested in US stocks, three currencies, three assets, three sources of income (imputed, dividends, SWR) and where two-thirds remains in-hand (no counter-party risk). You can't easily rebalance house value, however I see house + imputed rent to be similar to stock + dividends, somewhat interchangeable.

If US stocks dive a case of selling some ounces of gold to buy more, equally it swings the other way around and you periodically sell some stock shares to add more ounces of gold. The total loss of any one of the three, a 33% hit, isn't that uncommon to the equivalent via normal market prices volatility (bad year). Concentration risk is a major risk factor that's easily diluted. If the US markets fail then pretty much so also does global capitalism, in which case you're back to two properties + gold, or a home + own business + gold type typical diversification (excepting where the state owns all).

Return to “The Economy”