Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Direction of Equity indexes and funds - peaked or more to go?

including Budgets
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Direction of Equity indexes and funds - peaked or more to go?

Postby tjh290633 » February 6th, 2023, 8:00 pm

Newroad wrote:PS I'm no bond expert, but the closest I could find was a 0.75% Gilt maturing 22/07/2023 with a spread of 98.27 - 99.27 (Hargreaves Lansdown)

Yes, that has a yield to maturity of 3.3%. Then there is T 2.5% maturing on 07/09/23, standing just over par at £100.3, with a yield of 3.4% to maturity.

You pays yer penny and you makes yer choice.

TJH

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 7th, 2023, 5:48 am

As you need 25% of your equity ISA in cash within the next six months, then personally I would be selling things to cover that cash. Assuming you can't borrow it from somewhere, ie mortgage or personal loan.

You might be able to slightly reduce that amount if you are expecting dividends but even that is not guaranteed.

To me, there is so much downside risk, remember covid, shares tanking and divis cut etc. Ukraine, strikes, black Swan or Monday. Mr Market has been on a run this year and I expect him to take a breath at some point.

There is also the risk of what would happen if you don't have the funds available at the six months point. Could you end up homeless or just loose a house move that you are set on. The emotional costs might be worse than the financial ones.

The Ftse is on a high, great if you need to sell. Could if rise further, maybe but how much further and what are you likely to gain. Another 10% rise gets you just 2.5% of what you need. Unfortunately I expect that over the next six months there will be a dip in the market and generally the dips tend to be short and sharp. I donk know how you would behave in those circumstances with your current issue.

So in my view the risk v reward is highly geared towards sell now and deal with the known about having cash in the bank or banks possibility if its over the £85k guarantee.

Good luck with your decision. You will be able to look back in 7 months time with hindsight at what he best course of action was and also the worst one.

Lucky dip ticket? :|

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » February 7th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Clariman wrote:I am wondering whether I should take the money out now and put it in an easy access account or leave it until nearer the time. Are there any predictive indexes around? Any ideas?

Nobody knows.
Anyone who claims they do know is guessing, or at worst, lying.
Anyone who did know would be too busy making money out of it and not sharing it publicly.

So the short answer: Nobody knows. Do what YOU think is best.

MacroTrad

Postby MacroTrad » February 9th, 2023, 12:05 pm

Depends what's driving market prices in equities up?

In Europe, I suspect monetary inflation....

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 17th, 2023, 11:13 am

Well it looks like my L&G tracker trade completed on the day the FTSE 100 reached its peak but I find the lack of transparency in the process a pain. Money should be in my bank account by the end of next week. So where is it now then?!

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » February 17th, 2023, 7:02 pm

Clariman wrote:Well it looks like my L&G tracker trade completed on the day the FTSE 100 reached its peak but I find the lack of transparency in the process a pain. Money should be in my bank account by the end of next week. So where is it now then?!

This is why I use ETFs.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 17th, 2023, 7:05 pm

Clariman wrote:Well it looks like my L&G tracker trade completed on the day the FTSE 100 reached its peak but I find the lack of transparency in the process a pain. Money should be in my bank account by the end of next week. So where is it now then?!

Oops posted this on the wrong thread.

Return to “The Economy”