Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Class 4 NI

including Budgets
SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Class 4 NI

Postby SteMiS » March 9th, 2017, 4:46 pm

As far as I understand it, the budget changes to Class 4 National Insurance contributions affects the self employed, which would include freelance journalists. I wonder how many of the journalists working for the major publications are actually freelance?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: Class 4 NI

Postby Nimrod103 » March 9th, 2017, 5:32 pm

SteMiS wrote:As far as I understand it, the budget changes to Class 4 National Insurance contributions affects the self employed, which would include freelance journalists. I wonder how many of the journalists working for the major publications are actually freelance?

I would have thought more of them would work through their own service companies, so they would be more upset by the changes to dividend taxation. I would have thought the self employed are mainly relatively small tradesmen and zero hours workers. However, I suspect the journalists are just using the relatively minor impact of NI rises on the self employed to give Hammond a beating, because the small self employed tradesman is a more likeable figure, than IR35 exploiters like Paxman and Wark.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Re: Class 4 NI

Postby SteMiS » March 9th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
SteMiS wrote:As far as I understand it, the budget changes to Class 4 National Insurance contributions affects the self employed, which would include freelance journalists. I wonder how many of the journalists working for the major publications are actually freelance?

I would have thought more of them would work through their own service companies, so they would be more upset by the changes to dividend taxation.

Possibly. Which actually reminds me that I've done that myself and still have cash in the company. I should really start stripping it out before the tax free allowance changes. So thanks for that...

Return to “The Economy”