Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

EU in recession

including Budgets
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

EU in recession

Postby Adamski » December 29th, 2023, 7:53 am

Some interesting headlines

"Residential property prices in Germany continued their fall, dropping 10.2% in the third quarter from a year earlier in a further grim sign for the real-estate sector in Europe's largest economy,"

Last quarter, the euro zone economy contracted 0.1%, official data has shown, and December's Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) - seen as a good gauge of economic health - suggested activity has now declined in every month of this quarter."

"In Germany the downturn worsened, pointing to a recession in Europe's biggest economy at the end of the year. Meanwhile activity declined faster than expected in France as demand for goods and services in the euro zone's second-biggest economy deteriorated further."

It's not just the UK that's struggling - here in the UK we've avoided recession so far, may have a shallow technical one. Admit there's been mismanagement of the country, but to put things in perspective - it's not just us, all countries in Europe are having problems getting things back to where they were pre pandemic - the lockdowns and war in ukraine/inflation have been very difficult to recover from.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: EU in recession

Postby Dod101 » December 29th, 2023, 8:38 am

Adamski wrote:Some interesting headlines

"Residential property prices in Germany continued their fall, dropping 10.2% in the third quarter from a year earlier in a further grim sign for the real-estate sector in Europe's largest economy,"

Last quarter, the euro zone economy contracted 0.1%, official data has shown, and December's Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) - seen as a good gauge of economic health - suggested activity has now declined in every month of this quarter."

"In Germany the downturn worsened, pointing to a recession in Europe's biggest economy at the end of the year. Meanwhile activity declined faster than expected in France as demand for goods and services in the euro zone's second-biggest economy deteriorated further."

It's not just the UK that's struggling - here in the UK we've avoided recession so far, may have a shallow technical one. Admit there's been mismanagement of the country, but to put things in perspective - it's not just us, all countries in Europe are having problems getting things back to where they were pre pandemic - the lockdowns and war in ukraine/inflation have been very difficult to recover from.

Comparatively speaking the UK is not struggling. Its economy is expected to overtake France's in the next year and growth will exceed most of the EU, including Germany. Inflation is coming down well, and in all we are making progress with no recession despite all the doomsters. I do wish people would stop talking down the UK.

Dod

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » December 29th, 2023, 1:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:Comparatively speaking the UK is not struggling. Its economy is expected to overtake France's in the next year and growth will exceed most of the EU, including Germany. Inflation is coming down well, and in all we are making progress with no recession despite all the doomsters. I do wish people would stop talking down the UK.

Thank you. I do think we sometimes lose the bigger picture, amongst the politics.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » December 29th, 2023, 8:49 pm

Rate cuts are moving forward all the time, but they all want to take their cues from the Fed, and the Fed doesn't meet in Feb so markets are pricing in the first Fed cut to start in March 24 (currently 85% chance of a cut at this meeting).

https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/intere ... -tool.html

Probably means other central banks will start their cutting in April. Don't be surprised if from then on they cut hard and fast.

I agree the UK is doing OK compared to EU, however neither is particularly strong or showing impressive decisiveness in leadership. I really do wish these supposedly independent central banks were actually far more independent and looking at conditions in their own backyard a little closer rather than waiting for everyone else to act first.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 29th, 2023, 9:43 pm

vand wrote:Rate cuts are moving forward all the time, but they all want to take their cues from the Fed, and the Fed doesn't meet in Feb so markets are pricing in the first Fed cut to start in March 24 (currently 85% chance of a cut at this meeting).

Probably means other central banks will start their cutting in April. Don't be surprised if from then on they cut hard and fast.

I agree the UK is doing OK compared to EU, however neither is particularly strong or showing impressive decisiveness in leadership. I really do wish these supposedly independent central banks were actually far more independent and looking at conditions in their own backyard a little closer rather than waiting for everyone else to act first.

If our first rate cut doesn't come until April, I get that nasty feeling that the BoE is about to make another of those big policy errors which we have become used to over the last 25 years.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 29th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
vand wrote:Rate cuts are moving forward all the time, but they all want to take their cues from the Fed, and the Fed doesn't meet in Feb so markets are pricing in the first Fed cut to start in March 24 (currently 85% chance of a cut at this meeting).

If our first rate cut doesn't come until April, I get that nasty feeling that the BoE is about to make another of those big policy errors which we have become used to over the last 25 years.

The BofE is a lapdog to the US Fed.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 29th, 2023, 10:29 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:

I agree. Especially as at the last meeting a fortnight ago, the vote was six in favour of no change, and three in favour of yet another rise in the base rate!

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » December 29th, 2023, 10:43 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:If our first rate cut doesn't come until April, I get that nasty feeling that the BoE is about to make another of those big policy errors which we have become used to over the last 25 years.

Why would you want a rate cut? Isn't high interest better for savers holding cash?

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 29th, 2023, 11:52 pm

Lootman wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:If our first rate cut doesn't come until April, I get that nasty feeling that the BoE is about to make another of those big policy errors which we have become used to over the last 25 years.

The BofE is a lapdog to the US Fed.

Agreed. Now it appears to me that the UK and the EU have been running some sort of currency peg to the US dollar.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 30th, 2023, 12:12 am

Mike4 wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:

I agree. Especially as at the last meeting a fortnight ago, the vote was six in favour of no change, and three in favour of yet another rise in the base rate!

But they're given a target of one nut and a choice of hammer to deal with it... in those circumstances you don't actually have very many options

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 30th, 2023, 6:33 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

But they're given a target of one nut and a choice of hammer to deal with it... in those circumstances you don't actually have very many options

Yes but after you've cracked the nut with the hammer, you don't need to carry on hitting it and smashing it to smithereens.

What IS a smithereen anyway?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2023, 7:56 am

vand wrote: I really do wish these supposedly independent central banks were actually far more independent and looking at conditions in their own backyard a little closer rather than waiting for everyone else to act first.

So who moved first the last time the direction of interest rates was changed? Fed or MPC?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 30th, 2023, 9:21 am

dealtn wrote:
vand wrote: I really do wish these supposedly independent central banks were actually far more independent and looking at conditions in their own backyard a little closer rather than waiting for everyone else to act first.

So who moved first the last time the direction of interest rates was changed? Fed or MPC?

Ignoring the emergency Worldwide interest rate cuts caused by the pandemic, the Fed began raising interest rates in 2016 after the long period of ZIRP, while the BoE waited until 2017.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 30th, 2023, 9:33 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Yes but after you've cracked the nut with the hammer, you don't need to carry on hitting it and smashing it to smithereens.

A small fraction of a nut?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 30th, 2023, 9:47 am

TUK020 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

A small fraction of a nut?

The ending -een often suggests an Irish Gaelic origin, and indeed Google suggests it comes from the Irish plural word for "little bits". Probably from Irish soldiers in the First World War, I would guess.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2023, 1:16 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Ignoring the ...

So ignoring the actual question, and the accusation the BoE only moves after the FOMC.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » December 30th, 2023, 1:23 pm

Are energy prices not far more important than bank rates ?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 30th, 2023, 1:40 pm

dealtn wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:
Ignoring the ...

So ignoring the actual question, and the accusation the BoE only moves after the FOMC.

I think the question was whether the UK (and the EU) wait for the Fed to change interest rates before doing it themselves. It is certainly a widely held view I think. Covid was a once in a Century (?) external shock, so should be removed from the data, as different countries were at slightly different stages of the infection/immunization trajectory.

Considering changes in interest rates in response to the normal ups and downs of the business cycle, looking at the ZIRP experience, it is clear that the Fed started to raise interest rates before Europe, so fits in with the widely believed pattern.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 30th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Must be due to Brexit! Oh, whoops, it's them in recession, not us :D

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » December 30th, 2023, 2:18 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Must be due to Brexit! Oh, whoops, it's them in recession, not us :D

We've been scraping around flat growth. I wouldn't be too sure we are not going into recession.

Return to “The Economy”