Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

More no deal Brexit consequences and a date for Blue Passports

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

More no deal Brexit consequences and a date for Blue Passports

Postby BobbyD » September 13th, 2018, 4:14 pm

What a coincidence...

Government issues 23 new no deal guidance papers: https://www.gov.uk/search/advanced?keyw ... regulation

France's Europe Minister says in the event of a no deal Brexit trains and planes leaving the UK will be refused entry to the UK: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eurostar-stop ... 10771.html

But hey Blue Passports before the end of 2109!

Blue passports will start being issued from late 2019, government says
Jessica Elgot Jessica Elgot
Travellers with less than six months on their passports may be denied entry to countries in the EU in the event of a no deal Brexit, the passport document says. It says UK citizens who plan to travel to the Schengen area after 29 March should ensure their passports have longer than six months validity. “If your passport does not meet these criteria, you may be denied entry to any of the Schengen area countries, and you should renew your passport before you travel,” the paper warns.

The no-deal paper also reveals Brits may start receiving post-Brexit blue passports by the end of 2019, towards the end of the transition period, but that is not guaranteed. It says:

- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 3ecbf2c23d

Off to belt out a round of Rule Britannia!

quelquod
Lemon Slice

Re: More no deal Brexit consequences and a date for Blue Passports

Postby quelquod » September 13th, 2018, 4:37 pm

BobbyD wrote:But hey Blue Passports before the end of 2109!

Well past 70 so I can't wait that long for mine.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 13th, 2018, 8:16 pm

So they're saying that after a no deal brexit, Europe will be practically a foreign country. Well who'd have thought!

Gryff

Charlottesquare
Lemon Slice

Postby Charlottesquare » September 13th, 2018, 8:17 pm

BobbyD wrote:ation

France's Europe Minister says in the event of a no deal Brexit trains and planes leaving the UK will be refused entry to the UK: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eurostar-stop ... 10771.html

Do you not mean EU or is it that once they leave the UK they cannot come back. ( They are going to steal our trains) :D

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » September 13th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
BobbyD wrote:ation

Do you not mean EU or is it that once they leave the UK they cannot come back. ( They are going to steal our trains) :D

I do indeed...

supremetwo
Lemon Slice

Postby supremetwo » September 14th, 2018, 2:39 am

BobbyD wrote:What a coincidence...
France's Europe Minister says in the event of a no deal Brexit trains and planes leaving the UK will be refused entry to the UK (sic EU): https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eurostar-stop ... 10771.html

Eurostar's majority shareholder is SNCF France's national state-owned railway company.

Won't happen.

British Airways is owned by a Spanish company.

Won't happen.

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter

Postby FredBloggs » September 14th, 2018, 6:31 am

My passport expires on 31st December 2019. I hope I get a blue one next.

NapoleonD
Lemon Pip

Postby NapoleonD » September 14th, 2018, 9:12 am

And all of this is "the easiest deal ever".

A government full of lying, [Deleted].
Moderator Message:
Please try to remain polite. - Chris

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » September 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

BobbyD wrote:France's Europe Minister says in the event of a no deal Brexit trains and planes leaving the UK will be refused entry to the UK:

Getting a wee bit carried away methinks. They would still want to exercise control?

Dod

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » September 14th, 2018, 10:01 am

The government are advising UK companies to modify contracts with their EU suppliers/partners to include standard contractural clauses for data transfers since the EU will not start considering approving an adequacy decision on GDPR until after the UK has become a third country.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/13/brexit_notice_data_protection_adequacy_scc/

The UK government has told companies to start drawing up standard contractural clauses for data transfers in case of a no-deal Brexit.

The warning comes in latest batch of technical notices released to allow organisations to prepare for the event it doesn't manage to negotiate exit terms with the European Union before March 2019.
In the notice on data protection, the government said that although it would greenlight the transfer of UK data to other member states, there were no such guarantees in reverse.
This is because the EU has to rubberstamp the standards of protection applied by the UK – known as an adequacy decision – and Eurocrats have made it clear this won't happen until the UK is out of the bloc.
A primary concern is the onus it puts on the companies, which now have less than six months to organise new contracts.
BT's Brexit boss Stephen Hurley told MPs that, with more than 18,000 suppliers, setting up SCCs would be very cumbersome, especially as the set text "isn't necessarily designed to deal with the modern ways of doing business, and the way flows of data occur in practice".
The committee concluded that the "considerable change from the status quo would place a bureaucratic burden on individual businesses, a burden which would be prohibitive for many small businesses"

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » September 14th, 2018, 11:09 am

I see the FT and BBC have now resorted to Fake News regarding a forecast property crash made by Mark Carney.

The BBC still have this as headline news despite their own economics editor rubbishing the story

The FT really should be doing some proper journalistic investigations into these stories rather than simply being a mouthpiece for Project Fear

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 14th, 2018, 11:47 am

Ashfordian wrote:I see the FT and BBC have now resorted to Fake News regarding a forecast property crash made by Mark Carney.

The BBC still have this as headline news despite their own economics editor rubbishing the story

The FT really should be doing some proper journalistic investigations into these stories rather than simply being a mouthpiece for Project Fear

Alternatively, the BBC could publish a story about a statement from the Governor of the Bank of England, and then their own analysis of it.

Oh, hang on....

Ditto FT - but accepting the FT has an editorial bias (as do all newspapers).

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Ashfordian wrote:I see the FT and BBC have now resorted to Fake News regarding a forecast property crash made by Mark Carney.

Not fake news. Selective truth.

Carney said: "WORST CASE, following a no deal brexit, property prices could fall by UP TO* 1/3." That's entirely true.

Of course, it is also entirely true that: WORST CASE, following us remaining in the EU, property prices could fall by UP TO* 1/3.

"UP TO*", meaning any smaller amount, including 0. A phrase beloved of advertisers.

Think US/China trade war, All kicking off in the Middle East, Russia cutting off energy supplies to Europe. Any of these things are possible, and don't have any reference to brexit at all.

Gryff

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » September 14th, 2018, 1:15 pm

gryffron wrote:

Carney said: "WORST CASE, following a no deal brexit, property prices could fall by UP TO* 1/3." That's entirely true.

Of course, it is also entirely true that: WORST CASE, following us remaining in the EU, property prices could fall by UP TO* 1/3.

"UP TO*", meaning any smaller amount, including 0. A phrase beloved of advertisers.

Think US/China trade war, All kicking off in the Middle East, Russia cutting off energy supplies to Europe. Any of these things are possible, and don't have any reference to brexit at all.

Gryff

No, Carney did not say house prices could fall UP TO* 1/3. That is the stress test condition the BoE applied to major banks.

That means the FT & BBC are deliberately spreading disinformation and propaganda, otherwise known as fake news!

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » September 14th, 2018, 1:24 pm

gryffron wrote:

FT:

Among Mr Carney’s most stunning warnings was that house prices would be 35 per cent lower than would otherwise be the case three years after a disruptive no-deal Brexit — which would assume a breakdown in trading relations with the EU.

- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mark+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 14th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Ashfordian wrote:
gryffron wrote:

Gryff

No, Carney did not say house prices could fall UP TO* 1/3. That is the stress test condition the BoE applied to major banks.
That means the FT & BBC are deliberately spreading disinformation and propaganda, otherwise known as fake news!

I beg to differ:
His worst-case scenario was that house prices could fall as much as 35% over three years, a source told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45516678

Assuming you're not quibbling over decimal vs fractions, what interview or reported quotation are you referring to, as the BBC quote seems very clear to me...

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » September 14th, 2018, 1:36 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Ashfordian wrote:
gryffron wrote:Not fake news. Selective truth.

Gryff

I beg to differ:
His worst-case scenario was that house prices could fall as much as 35% over three years, a source told the BBC.

Assuming you're not quibbling over decimal vs fractions, what interview or reported quotation are you referring to, as the BBC quote seems very clear to me...

No I am quibbling over what was actually forecast.

The BBC's economics editor, in the analysis section of the article, rubbishes that the forecast was ever made, and says that is was an apocalyptic test where the Bank [of England] deliberately sets the parameters beyond what might reasonably be expected to occur

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » September 14th, 2018, 1:37 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Ashfordian wrote:
gryffron wrote:Not fake news. Selective truth.

Gryff

I beg to differ:

It would be better to quibble over which source actually has the intellectual capacity to understand what Carney said... or the political nous to selectively reinterpret it for anonymous distribution.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » September 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Ashfordian wrote:
vrdiver wrote:
Ashfordian wrote:

I beg to differ:

No I am quibbling over what was actually forecast.

The BBC's economics editor, in the analysis section of the article, rubbishes that the forecast was ever made, and says that is was an apocalyptic test where the Bank [of England] deliberately sets the parameters beyond what might reasonably be expected to occur

Hardly just the BBC and FT lots of other papers reported the same eg

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/house-prices-would-plummet-in-no-deal-brexit-says-carney-csgr9j0hj

House prices would fall by 35 per cent over three years after a chaotic no-deal Brexit, according to a stark briefing given to the cabinet by the Bank of England governor yesterday.
Mark Carney told senior ministers that spiralling mortgage rates would cause a crash in the housing market.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7255807/house-prices-no-deal-brexit-eu-mark-carney/

The Bank of England governor Mark Carney painted a bleak picture of a no-deal Brexit outcome, saying house prices could fall by 35 per cent, but do property experts agree with him?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/13/bank-england-head-accused-spreading-gloom-no-deal-brexit-house/

The Governor of the Bank of England has been accused of wanting to spread “gloom and despondency” about Brexit after he claimed house prices would crash by up to 35 per cent in a no-deal Brexit.
Mark Carney told the Cabinet on Thursday that in a “worst case scenario” Brexit mortgage rates would spiral, the pound would plummet, inflation and interest rates would rise and millions of homeowners would be left in negative equity.

The BBC in their analysis seem to be about the only ones tying it to the earlier stress tests.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 14th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Ashfordian wrote:No I am quibbling over what was actually forecast.

In the article, the BBC report on "worst case" etc. Nowhere does it state that this 1/3 (or 35%) was a forecast.
In your earlier post you stated
I see the FT and BBC have now resorted to Fake News regarding a forecast property crash made by Mark Carney
(my bold)

So you've stated they are making a forecast (despite there being no forecast to this effect in the artcle, as well as three references* in the article to the fact that this was NOT a forecast, then complained the BBC are making up fake news?

Were you referring to a different article, as your claim makes no sense to me (and I really would like to see both sides of this argument)?
( as before: I#m referring to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45516678 )

*Statements in the article referring to "forecast"
#1: It appears that the Governor wasn't providing the Cabinet with a forecast
#2: It was not a forecast
#3: a doomsday scenario that is not actually forecast to happen

Return to “Polite Discussions”