Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

I've found the heinous European Regulation which justifies leaving the EU

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

I've found the heinous European Regulation which justifies leaving the EU

Postby BobbyD » March 15th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Until yesterday, all bread that went on sale – from a sliced white loaf, to a baguette, ciabatta or bloomer – had to weigh 400g or multiples thereof, unless it was a small bun or "morning pastry", as the legislation phrases it.

This is why sliced bread always comes in the standard 800g or the half-sized 400g loaves and it is a regulation that is strictly upheld by Trading Standards officers, who frequently visit bakeries to make spot checks.

However, a European directive issued earlier this year has, in effect, abolished more than 800 years of British history and allowed bakers to bake loaves of any size, bringing in some of the laissez-faire of the boulangerie – where bakers can create bread of any shape or size – across the Channel.

- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... years.html

Baking and selling bread which weighs other than 400g or multiples thereof?

Why did nobody tell me what sort of barbaians we have been consorting with?

The tales of an overbearing European bureaucracy strangling the inventiveness and guile of the British are true afterall, I feel such a fool.

I hope the first thing we do when we leave is to throw off the yoke of European restrictions and proudly reinstate our freedom to only bake loaves which weigh 400g or 800g, and quite frankly I'm no longer so certain about the 400g loaf.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Re: I've found the heinous European Regulation which justifies leaving the EU

Postby ursaminortaur » March 15th, 2019, 7:19 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Until yesterday, all bread that went on sale – from a sliced white loaf, to a baguette, ciabatta or bloomer – had to weigh 400g or multiples thereof, unless it was a small bun or "morning pastry", as the legislation phrases it.

This is why sliced bread always comes in the standard 800g or the half-sized 400g loaves and it is a regulation that is strictly upheld by Trading Standards officers, who frequently visit bakeries to make spot checks.

However, a European directive issued earlier this year has, in effect, abolished more than 800 years of British history and allowed bakers to bake loaves of any size, bringing in some of the laissez-faire of the boulangerie – where bakers can create bread of any shape or size – across the Channel.

Baking and selling bread which weighs other than 400g or multiples thereof?

Why did nobody tell me what sort of barbaians we have been consorting with?

The tales of an overbearing European bureaucracy strangling the inventiveness and guile of the British are true afterall, I feel such a fool.

I hope the first thing we do when we leave is to throw off the yoke of European restrictions and proudly reinstate our freedom to only bake loaves which weigh 400g or 800g, and quite frankly I'm no longer so certain about the 400g loaf.

Better tell Tesco and Warburtons about that regulation as they have been selling 600g Warburtons sliced Tiger bread loaves for sometime

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/268104801

Sorry just noticed your telegraph article was from 2008.

Maroochydore
2 Lemon pips

Postby Maroochydore » March 15th, 2019, 7:35 pm

BobbyD wrote:
throw off the yoke of European restrictions and proudly reinstate our freedom to only bake loaves which weigh 400g or 800g,

Better still would be the 14oz or 28oz loaf.

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » March 15th, 2019, 9:24 pm

BobbyD wrote:

That does not sound quite right. I doubt that we had even heard of grams 800 years or even 750.

Dod

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » March 15th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

That does not sound quite right. I doubt that we had even heard of grams 800 years or even 750.

Dod

From the Telegraph article from 2008

The weight of bread has been enshrined in many Acts of Parliament since 1266. Since The Bread Act of 1822 loaves, logically, always had to be a pound, or multiple thereof, but during the Second World War bakers were ordered to save precious flour by cutting their bread tins down to 14oz, a regulation that become law in 1963.

When Britain went metric, bakers argued that 14oz – 397 grams – should be converted to 400g because this would involve relatively little disruption to their factories. The conversion was made over the May Bank Holiday weekend of 1977 and since then it has been illegal not just to sell, but also to bake an imperial-weighted loaf.

So in reality its only been 400g and 800g since 1977 but the weights were restricted since 1266.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » March 15th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Dod101 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Dod

At the time the restriction was dropped the restriction was 400g and multiples thereof. That is the last of a line of restrictions which trace back 800 years. Hence until the day before loaves did have to be 400g or 800g, and the changes abolished an 800 year history restriction on the weight of loaves of bread.

The weight of bread has been enshrined in many Acts of Parliament since 1266. Since The Bread Act of 1822 loaves, logically, always had to be a pound, or multiple thereof, but during the Second World War bakers were ordered to save precious flour by cutting their bread tins down to 14oz, a regulation that become law in 1963.

When Britain went metric, bakers argued that 14oz – 397 grams – should be converted to 400g because this would involve relatively little disruption to their factories. The conversion was made over the May Bank Holiday weekend of 1977 and since then it has been illegal not just to sell, but also to bake an imperial-weighted loaf.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » March 15th, 2019, 10:03 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Better tell Tesco and Warburtons about that regulation as they have been selling 600g Warburtons sliced Tiger bread loaves for sometime

In direct contravention of good solid British values!

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » March 15th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Thanks BobbyD (that sounds like Dylan)

Amazing what we learn on TLF.

Dod

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2019, 10:42 am

ursaminortaur wrote:From the Telegraph article from 2008
When Britain went metric

Oh yes? When was that then? :lol:

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » March 16th, 2019, 11:13 am

XFool wrote:
When Britain went metric

It took place throughout the 1970s with different industries and products having different target dates for completion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom#The_Metrication_Board

Shortly after the publication of the White Paper, the Minister of Transport announced postponement of the metrication of speed limits, which had been scheduled for 1973. The rest of the metrication programme continued, with the following completion dates:

1970 Electric Cable Makers Confederation, British Aerospace Companies Limited drawing and documentation, London Metal Exchange, flat glass
1971 Paper and board, National Coal Board designs, pharmaceuticals
1972 Paint industry, steel industry, building regulations
1974 Textile and wool transactions, leading clothing manufacturers adopt dual units
1975 Retail trade in fabrics and floor coverings, post office tariffs, medical practice
1976 Bulk sales of petroleum, agriculture and horticulture
1977 Livestock auctions
1978 Solid fuel retailing, cheese wholesaling, bread, London Commodity Market

As the Telegraph article says the change to 400g and 800g sliced loaves was made in 1977 though from the above it would appear that metrification of bread wasn't fully completed until 1978

The conversion was made over the May Bank Holiday weekend of 1977 and since then it has been illegal not just to sell, but also to bake an imperial-weighted loaf.

Of course in someways metrification has never been fully completed as we still use imperial measures for certain things.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2019, 11:25 am

ursaminortaur wrote:
XFool wrote:
When Britain went metric

It took place throughout the 1970s with different industries and products having different target dates for completion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom#The_Metrication_Board
Of course in someways metrification has never been fully completed as we still use imperial measures for certain things.

Well yes. My comment was of course made in a light hearted manner, but with more than a grain of truth in it. It is well worth reading that Wikipedia entry in full:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metricati ... ed_Kingdom

As an aside, I still remember, in the 1960s with Harold Wilson the PM, just after entering the sixth form in school a science teacher standing in front of us explaining how and why things were going to be different from now on in physics! Well, they might well have been in physics but...

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2019, 2:32 pm

XFool wrote:As an aside, I still remember, in the 1960s with Harold Wilson the PM, just after entering the sixth form in school a science teacher standing in front of us explaining how and why things were going to be different from now on in physics! Well, they might well have been in physics but...

Remembered a bit more!

Strictly to do with the change from CGS units to MKS units, as then known. But the government's intentions WRT metrication was mentioned as part of the raison d'être for the changeover in teaching.

Return to “Polite Discussions”