Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Brexit all over?

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Re: Brexit all over?

Postby ursaminortaur » July 10th, 2019, 1:26 am

5pFredo wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:You are misunderstanding the point I'm making. I'm saying that none of them are indigenous and that none of the descendents of the Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings , Normans etc are indigenous either.
As to all groups not being indigenous - that isn't true. Isolated groups such as the Aborigines in Australia or the Native Americans in America can put forward a fairly solid claim to be indigenous (though I believe there have been some recent disputes over whether the native american's were actually the first people in america).

No pal I didnt misunderstand, as I replied in my post stating that going back so far renders the whole argument pointless, as also you partially agree with as per your response about the natives not being the first... its almost impossible and ends up too encompassing.

Anyway, lets use your recent idea and alter the argument slightly - If this issue were about some Islamic group arriving in Australia for 50 years and then claiming to be the indigenous - your example country to showcase indigenous purity - you will only then move the goal posts and bring up something else to justify the claim to the land?

You wouldnt respond with " o well, they are clearly the indigenous, we had all better go home to where we came from"

Which proves my point here.

Unless the Islamic group got there before the aborigines then they would not be indigenous - which is clearly impossible since Islam did not come into existence until the early 7th Century AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

Indigenous peoples, also known as First peoples, Aboriginal peoples or Native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original settlers of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently.

5pFredo

Postby 5pFredo » July 10th, 2019, 1:37 am

ursaminortaur wrote:
5pFredo wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:You are misunderstanding the point I'm making. I'm saying that none of them are indigenous and that none of the descendents of the Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings , Normans etc are indigenous either.
As to all groups not being indigenous - that isn't true. Isolated groups such as the Aborigines in Australia or the Native Americans in America can put forward a fairly solid claim to be indigenous (though I believe there have been some recent disputes over whether the native american's were actually the first people in america).

No pal I didnt misunderstand, as I replied in my post stating that going back so far renders the whole argument pointless, as also you partially agree with as per your response about the natives not being the first... its almost impossible and ends up too encompassing.

Anyway, lets use your recent idea and alter the argument slightly - If this issue were about some Islamic group arriving in Australia for 50 years and then claiming to be the indigenous - your example country to showcase indigenous purity - you will only then move the goal posts and bring up something else to justify the claim to the land?

You wouldnt respond with " o well, they are clearly the indigenous, we had all better go home to where we came from"

Which proves my point here.

Unless the Islamic group got there before the aborigines then they would not be indigenous - which is clearly impossible since Islam did not come into existence until the early 7th Century AD.

Your relpy implies you missed my point completely.

I knew who the indigenous were, I raised the point to illustrate that if using "Indigenous status" as a line of defence clearly wasnt possible - as in your Australia example - then something else will appear and the group who came only 50 years ago will try to find some other argument to lay claim to their entitlement being equal to the more established/historic group...

Hence me also saying in my very first post that you will point score.

It will move from "we can claim to be indigenous", to "we contribute to the current economy" or some other daft semantics...

Anyway, let what happens happen. you will find out one day who the true indigenous of Britain are. lol

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 10th, 2019, 8:32 am

BobbyD wrote:
XFool wrote:So who exactly ARE these "indigenous" British, and who are they NOT? How do you tell? Is there a cut-off date? That was my point.

You're getting ahead of yourself with your whens. The first question here is surely 'where?'.
The answer to this question is going to have some fairly interesting effects on who might and might not be considered 'indigenous British'...

I suspect, to those who bang on about "the indigenous British", the term simply means whoever they think it does! I rather doubt there is any more thought behind it than that.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 10th, 2019, 8:42 am

ursaminortaur wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

Indigenous peoples, also known as First peoples, Aboriginal peoples or Native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original settlers of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently.

Could be the Neanderthals were the "indigenous British"?

Natural History Museum

So... kick out everybody who doesn't have red hair? :lol:

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » July 10th, 2019, 9:19 am

BobbyD wrote:
OwenSwansea wrote:Everyone seems to be very relaxed about this country being overrun by people from alien cultures.

Your culture is completely alien to me and the area in which I live.

Hear hear. I would say the defining culture of this country is tolerance. And it is very clear that is alien to this poster.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2019, 9:28 am

Moderator Message:
This thread has long since outlived its original remit and as such I have decided it is time to close it

Return to “Polite Discussions”