Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Brexit all over?

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Re: Brexit all over?

Postby ursaminortaur » July 8th, 2019, 10:08 am

OwenSwansea wrote:Most EU Banks are in a parless state because they have not been recapitalised since the financial crash.
US and UK Banks have been recapitalised.

Owen.

(PS. I think I am right in saying that Boris is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror, which should stand him in good stead in his negotiations with the EU.)

https://www.ebf.eu/facts-and-figures/banking-sector-performance/

European banks have continued building a solid capital position and strengthening their balance sheets. The recapitalisation effort that European banks have made following the 2008 financial crisis makes the European banking sector more resilient and robust. Capital has continued increasing, with the core equity Tier 1 ratio of EU banks on a fully loaded basis, which includes only capital of the highest quality, at 13.8% in June 2017, 100 basis points more than the previous year and double the same ratio in December 2011.

Banks in the European Union have reduced the original total capital shortfall by more than €500 billion from 2011 mainly by raising new capital and retaining earnings. Tier 1 and total capital also continue showing a positive trend, doubling the same ratio in 2011.

In 2017, for the first time, the shortfall of all categories of capital was practically zero. All banks met the liquidity coverage ratio above the minimum. Also, the leverage and NSFR shortfalls continued to decrease to €2 billion and €51 billion, respectively.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » July 8th, 2019, 10:36 am

OwenSwansea wrote:Most EU Banks are in a parless state because they have not been recapitalised since the financial crash.
US and UK Banks have been recapitalised.

Owen.

(PS. I think I am right in saying that Boris is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror, which should stand him in good stead in his negotiations with the EU.)

As with the idea that all Europeans are direct descendents of Charlemagne all Europeans will likely be direct descendents of William the Conqueror.
Boris though can document the descent from George II through his father's maternal line (though his great x 3 grandmother Karoline von Rothenburg was born out of wedlock) which he discovered through the BBC program "Who do you think you are ?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/08_august/04/think.shtml

https://www.thebubble.org.uk/current-affairs/science-technology/genes-ancestry-descended-royalty/

Chang also calculated that everyone of European descent has a common ancestor who lived as recently as around 600 years ago, at the time of Richard II. Bearing this in mind, stories of Danny Dyer’s descent from William the Conqueror and Edward III, or Christopher Lee’s direct ancestry to King Charlemagne seem like hollow claims. Yes, they probably are descended from these prolific figures, but so are all other white Europeans.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:YouGov have carried out another poll of Conservative members

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1150488/tory-party-poll-death-penalty-islamophobia-donald-trump-boris-johnson-rees-mogg

ALMOST three-fifths of Tory Party members back bringing back the death penalty, believe Donald Trump would be a good Prime Minister and think Islam represents a threat to British values, a poll has suggested.

I saw that. (Also sceptical on Global Warming)

Should we now conclude the remaining Conservative Party members now constitute the official 'Monster Raving and Foaming at the Mouth Party'?

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » July 8th, 2019, 2:14 pm

OwenSwansea wrote:I think that most normal people are in favour of the death penalty, and also think that Islam represents a threat to British values.
What is wrong with you people?

Owen.

Please could you define what a normal person is, as I am not familiar with the concept. I do understand normal distribution and something being normal to a plane, but normal person really I have no idea.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm

paullidd wrote:
OwenSwansea wrote:I think that most normal people are in favour of the death penalty, and also think that Islam represents a threat to British values.

Owen.

Please could you define what a normal person is, as I am not familiar with the concept. I do understand normal distribution and something being normal to a plane, but normal person really I have no idea.

Normal Person: Anyone who thinks exactly the same as you do.

Simples!

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » July 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

paullidd wrote:

Owen.

While we are at it could we have a definition of British values? I take it we are talking about denying suffrage to all but land owning males, criminalising homosexuality, and buying slaves for ones plantations in the new world but there are some strange and ugly new ideas taking hold so it pays to be explicit when discussing these things.

Oh, if I could take a crack at a definition of normal people. Normal people = us. Abnormal people = you.

OwenSwansea
Lemon Slice

Postby OwenSwansea » July 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I am certain that most people in the real world think as I do.
Only pompous academic types think otherwise.
That is why the Brexit Party is doing so well. People had had enough of this PC nonsense.

Owen.

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » July 8th, 2019, 2:56 pm

OwenSwansea wrote:I am certain that most people in the real world think as I do.
That is why the Brexit Party is doing so well. People had had enough of this PC nonsense.

Owen.

I am quite certain that your comment sounds like self-righteous ego-mania.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » July 8th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Pro-brexit Labour MP Kate Hoey has announced she will be standing down at the next election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/08/pro-brexit-labour-mp-kate-hoey-to-stand-down-at-next-election

The Brexit-backing Labour MP Kate Hoey has announced she will stand down at the next election in her ultra-remain constituency of Vauxhall.

Hoey, who has consistently voted with the government to stop efforts for a soft Brexit or to oppose no deal, was subject to a no-confidence vote last summer in her inner-city London constituency, where 77.6% of voters backed remain in the 2016 referendum.

At the time, Hoey, who has represented Vauxhall since 1989, said she would not let it change the way she acted in parliament.
Hoey did not support Theresa May’s Brexit deal on the grounds that it was too soft.

Though the no-confidence motion had no force, Hoey might have faced a reselection battle in her constituency after rule changes last September made it easier for members to force a so-called trigger ballot, which would force an MP to compete against other candidates for re-selection.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » July 8th, 2019, 3:37 pm

OwenSwansea wrote:What a brave woman Kate Hoey is, I hope she joins the Brexit Party where she will be appreciated.
London****n is beyond saving now.

Owen.

Voting for Brexit and then running away before the mess is cleared up, what a hero.

Where is London****n?

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » July 8th, 2019, 4:16 pm

MPs will launch a fresh bid later on Monday to stop the next prime minister forcing through a no-deal Brexit without parliament's consent.

The move, orchestrated by Tory rebel Dominic Grieve, is designed to stop the government suspending parliament as a way of preventing MPs from blocking attempts to take the UK out of the EU without a deal.

It would make it a legal requirement for a government minister to make a statement in the House of Commons in October on the issue of Northern Ireland.

If passed, it would become unlawful for parliament to be suspended at that time, meaning there would be at least one day in October when MPs would be able to try to block no deal.

- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 92966.html

Leavers talk about British ingenuity, Remainers demonstrate it...

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » July 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

OwenSwansea wrote:I am certain that most people in the real world think as I do.

Owen.

The Brexit Party got 30% of the vote in an election with a 37% turnout. That's 11% of the electorate. They couldn't even win a by election in a leave voting constituency whose MP had just been recalled after serving a prison sentence.

There must be an awful lot of pompous academic types around...

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 8th, 2019, 5:53 pm

BobbyD wrote:
MPs will launch a fresh bid later on Monday to stop the next prime minister forcing through a no-deal Brexit without parliament's consent.

The move, orchestrated by Tory rebel Dominic Grieve, is designed to stop the government suspending parliament as a way of preventing MPs from blocking attempts to take the UK out of the EU without a deal.

It would make it a legal requirement for a government minister to make a statement in the House of Commons in October on the issue of Northern Ireland.

If passed, it would become unlawful for parliament to be suspended at that time, meaning there would be at least one day in October when MPs would be able to try to block no deal.

I have read the article and I am still not completely sure what the plan is. Is it to ensure the bill must come before Parliament in October as a vehicle to attach an amendment to that blocks no deal to?

If that is the case what would the amendment be, presumably to insist a UK PM asks for an extension. But will the Bill come to Parliament before the EU summit in October (18th I believe)? If it is afterwards then I guess the UK PM would have to ask for a special EU summit to discuss it. Or will they try to put an amendment in that calls for revocation?

What is the scope for amending a bill? Is there guidance on how close to the subject of the bill any amendment must be, or is it all down to the Speaker's discretion?

More insight on this move would be interesting. Can you share?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Wizard wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

I have read the article and I am still not completely sure what the plan is. Is it to ensure the bill must come before Parliament in October as a vehicle to attach an amendment to that blocks no deal to?

If that is the case what would the amendment be, presumably to insist a UK PM asks for an extension. But will the Bill come to Parliament before the EU summit in October (18th I believe)? If it is afterwards then I guess the UK PM would have to ask for a special EU summit to discuss it. Or will they try to put an amendment in that calls for revocation?

What is the scope for amending a bill? Is there guidance on how close to the subject of the bill any amendment must be, or is it all down to the Speaker's discretion?

More insight on this move would be interesting. Can you share?

It sounds like more devious manoevering by remainer MP's striving to deny democracy and Brexit.

Shame be upon them. I hope their time will come, at the next general election, if not before.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Congratulations! As you are certain that "most people in the real world" think as you do, you undoubtedly think exactly the same as people who think like yourself (aka "all right thinking people"). Therefore, you are indeed 'Normal'. Other points of view are available.

OwenSwansea wrote:Only pompous academic types think otherwise.

Possibly. But what of non pompous "academic types"? Or, come to that, pompous non academic types?

OwenSwansea wrote:That is why the Brexit Party is doing so well. People had had enough of this PC nonsense.

I thought it was all about the immigrants? Or even the EU.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 8th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Tonight at 8.30pm BBC 1, Panorama No-Deal Brexit: Are we ready? Examining the potential impact of leaving the EU without a deal.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm

XFool wrote:Tonight at 8.30pm BBC 1, Panorama No-Deal Brexit: Are we ready? Examining the potential impact of leaving the EU without a deal.

Thanks for pointing that out, I shall definitely watch it.

JohnB
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnB » July 8th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Remainers score a key victory over Labour policy tonight. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dum-brexit

I think Boris' government will fall unless it offers a second referendum, and he will be asking himself, which is the bigger risk to his personal position.

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » July 8th, 2019, 8:52 pm

BobbyD wrote:
paullidd wrote:

Owen.

While we are at it could we have a definition of British values? I take it we are talking about denying suffrage to all but land owning males, criminalising homosexuality, and buying slaves for ones plantations in the new world but there are some strange and ugly new ideas taking hold so it pays to be explicit when discussing these things.

Proof, if more were needed, that it's Remainers who are stuck in the past and always knocking on about the glory days of the British Empire, etc, etc.

Dude, it's not the 1740s. Modern British values are well defined and actively promoted in school. Ofsted defines
the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/guid ... -published

Which (unsurprisingly) aren't that different to the EU's stated values
The European Union’s fundamental values are respect for human dignity and human rights, freedom, democracy, equality and the rule of law. These values unite all the member states – no country that does not recognise these values can belong to the Union.

https://europarlamentti.info/en/values- ... es/values/

Bet you won't start making sarcy jokes about some of the unsavoury things in Europe's past though. The 1940s were so long ago, weren't they?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 8th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Wizard wrote:
XFool wrote:Tonight at 8.30pm BBC 1, Panorama No-Deal Brexit: Are we ready? Examining the potential impact of leaving the EU without a deal.

Thanks for pointing that out, I shall definitely watch it.

I may have missed it, but I did not hear anything new or particularly insightful in the programme.

Return to “Polite Discussions”