Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Milkshakes

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Milkshakes

Postby Howyoudoin » May 20th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Eggs and flour. We've all been there. Last day of school. We all got covered. It was a laugh.

But we were kids then. We're adults now. And adults don't egg/flour/milkshake other adults.

I realise that it's funny to see a celeb/politician/anyone we don't like get their comeuppance but not like this. This is going too too far. It's now become 'let's assault anyone whose view we don't agree with'.

Not sure about you but if someone poured a drink over my head in public, my immediate reaction would be to wallop them, whether that be a man or a woman. After walloping them, i'd see if they were remorseful. If it looked like they were going to assault me again, I'd wallop them again.

And I don't think i'm alone in thinking like that.

Something bad is gonna happen soon, I feel it. Someone is going to get really hurt. And then some will say, 'but it was only a milkshake . . .'

HYD

PS Before anyone says 'bet you wouldn't say that if it was left wingers being assaulted.', I could watch John Prescott punch that egg throwing idiot all day long. That was fantastic. I had zero empathy for the egg thrower. He got what was coming to him.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Milkshakes

Postby Wizard » May 20th, 2019, 10:36 pm

I agree, it is wrong whichever politician it happens to, that could have been acid.

On a tangent I watched the clip on the news. I think I heard Farage say afterwards to his security something along the lines of "...you're a complete failure, you should have seen that coming a mile off...". I thought I wonder if that could be another "bigoted women" moment?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 20th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Wizard wrote:On a tangent I watched the clip on the news. I think I heard Farage say afterwards to his security something along the lines of "...you're a complete failure, you should have seen that coming a mile off...". I thought I wonder if that could be another "bigoted women" moment?

I rather suspect that it will make those who like Farage double down, those who don't like Farage double up laughing, and those who didn't really have an opinion about him before might, just might, feel sorry enough for him to go out and vote for the Brexit Party.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

HYD

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter

Postby Nimrod103 » May 20th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Wizard wrote:I agree, it is wrong whichever politician it happens to, that could have been acid.

On a tangent I watched the clip on the news. I think I heard Farage say afterwards to his security something along the lines of "...you're a complete failure, you should have seen that coming a mile off...". I thought I wonder if that could be another "bigoted women" moment?

Don't understand your comment. Brown (not realizing the microphone was still on) called a ordinary voter concerned about issues which concern a large number of British people - a bigotted women. He was way out of order, and showed his contempt for ordinary people.
Farage may have admonished his bodyguard (we only have your word for it) for not protecting him from somebody standing there with an obvious weapon. Imagine if it had been a brick or a gun.

JohnB
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnB » May 20th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Delightful irony that 2 hours before he was talking about a 'smear' campaign about Banks paying for bodyguards.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » May 20th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Not sure about you but if someone poured a drink over my head in public, my immediate reaction would be to wallop them, whether that be a man or a woman. After walloping them, i'd see if they were remorseful. If it looked like they were going to assault me again, I'd wallop them again.

It's almost like a picture of EDL founder Tommy Robinson hitting someone might serve a political purpose...

Oh, they got Nige! Pictures of his bodyguards laying in to someone would definitely serve a purpose...

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 20th, 2019, 11:39 pm

Wizard wrote:On a tangent I watched the clip on the news. I think I heard Farage say afterwards to his security something along the lines of "...you're a complete failure, you should have seen that coming a mile off...". I thought I wonder if that could be another "bigoted women" moment?

Having only heard about it on the radio all day, against my better judgement, I just watched the clip. You have to say that Farage had a point to say the above. There was no-one in front of him when the assault took place. There didn't seem to be anyone in front of him AFTER the assault took place either, other than cameramen. I'd be damned annoyed if that was my security too. What is security for if not to prevent close quarter attacks like this?

I think right wing politicians' security should arm themselves with milkshake cup's full of eggs, flour, superglue and dog do, and anyone who wants to have a go runs the risk of being held down and a cup of that poured over their head.

HYD

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 20th, 2019, 11:44 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Not sure about you but if someone poured a drink over my head in public, my immediate reaction would be to wallop them, whether that be a man or a woman. After walloping them, i'd see if they were remorseful. If it looked like they were going to assault me again, I'd wallop them again.

It's almost like a picture of EDL founder Tommy Robinson hitting someone might serve a political purpose...

Oh, they got Nige! Pictures of his bodyguards laying in to someone would definitely serve a purpose...

People actually like seeing politicians retaliating. At least I do. And I remember others liking it too when Prescott punched that guy.

Would you not react if some idiot poured a milkshake over your head in public?

HYD

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » May 20th, 2019, 11:48 pm

Wizard wrote:I agree, it is wrong whichever politician it happens to, that could have been acid.

I agree it was wrong. The guy has been arrested and will probably be charged with common assault, so is looking at a criminal record. I've no problem with that. It was neither provoked nor in the heat of the moment (which arguably the Tommy Robinson milking was). The guy posted a tweet of himself on his way to carry out the act, so it was clearly premeditated.

What I found interesting was Farage's reaction though. When Prescott was egged he turned and instinctively thumped the guy. I think a lot of people had some sympathy with that reaction. Both John Major and Margaret Thatcher were egged and I think just continued with their campaigning. Farage, in contrast, stopped his campaigning, legged it to his bus in a complete strop, slagging off his bodyguard. I think he' have come off better if he'd laughed it off, made some comment about not being stopped that easily, wiped himself down and continued. This is a guy who claimed he'd don his khaki and take up a rifle if Brexit was thwarted. A bit of milk shouldn't stop him surely?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 20th, 2019, 11:58 pm

SteMiS wrote:What I found interesting was Farage's reaction though. When Prescott was egged he turned and instinctively thumped the guy. I think a lot of people had some sympathy with that reaction. Both John Major and Margaret Thatcher were egged and I think just continued with their campaigning. Farage, in contrast, stopped his campaigning, legged it to his bus in a complete strop, slagging off his bodyguard. I think he' have come off better if he'd laughed it off, made some comment about not being stopped that easily, wiped himself down and continued. This is a guy who claimed he'd don his khaki and take up a rifle if Brexit was thwarted. A bit of milk shouldn't stop him surely?

We can't all be Dennis The Menace. Some of us have to be Walter the Softy. And there's nothing wrong with that.

We are all good at something.

Personally I couldn't get up in front of thousands of people and give a great speech like Farage does. And if you think he's no good at that, why is he currently leading the polls?

If his bodyguard can't protect him from being assaulted when there is next to no-one there, he deserves being slagged off. What is bodyguard there for? "You had one job . . ."

HYD

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » May 21st, 2019, 12:06 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
SteMiS wrote:What I found interesting was Farage's reaction though. When Prescott was egged he turned and instinctively thumped the guy. I think a lot of people had some sympathy with that reaction. Both John Major and Margaret Thatcher were egged and I think just continued with their campaigning. Farage, in contrast, stopped his campaigning, legged it to his bus in a complete strop, slagging off his bodyguard. I think he' have come off better if he'd laughed it off, made some comment about not being stopped that easily, wiped himself down and continued. This is a guy who claimed he'd don his khaki and take up a rifle if Brexit was thwarted. A bit of milk shouldn't stop him surely?

We can't all be Dennis The Menace. Some of us have to be Walter the Softy. And there's nothing wrong with that.

There is when Walter tries to make out he's Dennis...

Howyoudoin wrote:If his bodyguard can't protect him from being assaulted when there is next to no-one there, he deserves being slagged off. What is bodyguard there for? "You had one job . . ."

Slagging off your subordinate in public when he's no chance to answer back is pretty poor leadership. If you are mingling in a public space with people carrying every day items (like a milkshake) it's almost impossible to prevent something like this happening.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 21st, 2019, 12:15 am

SteMiS wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

There is when Walter tries to make out he's Dennis...

Howyoudoin wrote:If his bodyguard can't protect him from being assaulted when there is next to no-one there, he deserves being slagged off. What is bodyguard there for? "You had one job . . ."

Slagging off your subordinate in public when he's no chance to answer back is pretty poor leadership. If you are mingling in a public space with people carrying every day items (like a milkshake) it's almost impossible to prevent something like this happening.

According to your post above Farage said he would take up a gun. If you think that's being a Dennis the Menace rather than a Walter the Softy, I guess we will have to beg to differ.

On your second point, if it's impossible to protect yourself from a milkshake attack, then it's impossible to protect yourself from an acid attack, as Wizard said.

If fanatical lefties (as this attacker was by his own admission) want to force a situation where politicians no longer feel safe to walk the streets, they're going the right way about it.

HYD

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

Nimrod103 wrote:

Don't understand your comment. Brown (not realizing the microphone was still on) called a ordinary voter concerned about issues which concern a large number of British people - a bigotted women. He was way out of order, and showed his contempt for ordinary people.
Farage may have admonished his bodyguard (we only have your word for it) for not protecting him from somebody standing there with an obvious weapon. Imagine if it had been a brick or a gun.

I don't think my comment was that complex, but if you need it explained... all I speculated was that the comment might ultimately become the bigger point that gets remembered. If I heard what I said above I am pretty sure Farage did not think about it being picked up on a microphone. I can understand it was an instinctive response, but surely the more professional approach would have been to pick it up later in private.

But to be clear it is only what I think I heard, did anyone else hear it? Did anyone hear something I may have misheard as this?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » May 21st, 2019, 8:13 am

Wizard wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:

I don't think my comment was that complex, but if you need it explained... all I speculated was that the comment might ultimately become the bigger point that gets remembered. If I heard what I said above I am pretty sure Farage did not think about it being picked up on a microphone. I can understand it was an instinctive response, but surely the more professional approach would have been to pick it up later in private.

But to be clear it is only what I think I heard, did anyone else hear it? Did anyone hear something I may have misheard as this?

Think you got the quote right except he said “I saw it coming . . “, not “you should have seen it coming . . “

HYD
Last edited by Howyoudoin on May 21st, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » May 21st, 2019, 8:15 am

Well I, for one, was utterly shocked when I read this news story. I mean, who on earth pays £5.25 for a over-sugary drink?

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter

Postby Nimrod103 » May 21st, 2019, 8:29 am

Wizard wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:

Still a bizarre reply, and others on this thread too. Prescott is a thug, but got a free pass for punching the guy who egged him, because well John is John, as Tony Blair said. As I recall, the egg thrower got a jail sentence. Robinson is a thug, but was roundly condemned for retaliating. Some people here think that Farage should have retaliated, which of course would have been used by the establishment against him. So that is the worst response.
His bodyguards fell down on the job. They failed. Why not tell them so. If one of your employees does something incompetent in a meeting, do you let it pass as if nothing happened, then ask them to your office later? In this case, Farage should press charges for criminal damage, there is a precedent. More serious than common assault AIUI.

PS somebody egged Corbyn in Islington and got 28 days in Jail. We will soon see whether there is any consistency in the law (clue: there isn't).
Last edited by Nimrod103 on May 21st, 2019, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » May 21st, 2019, 8:32 am

TedSwippet wrote:Well I, for one, was utterly shocked when I read this news story. I mean, who on earth pays £5.25 for a over-sugary drink?

Wow, I remember in 1995 when a $5 milkshake was shocking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzai6at_xA

John

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 21st, 2019, 8:51 am

Nimrod103 wrote:
Wizard wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:

Still a bizarre reply, and others on this thread too. Prescott is a thug, but got a free pass for punching the guy who egged him, because well John is John, as Tony Blair said. As I recall, the egg thrower got a jail sentence. Robinson is a thug, but was roundly condemned for retaliating. Some people here think that Farage should have retaliated, which of course would have been used by the establishment against him. So that is the worst response.
His bodyguards fell down on the job. They failed. Why not tell them so. If one of your employees does something incompetent in a meeting, do you let it pass as if nothing happened, then ask them to your office later? In this case, Farage should press charges for criminal damage, there is a precedent. More serious than common assault AIUI.

PS somebody egged Corbyn in Islington and got 28 days in Jail. We will soon see whether there is any consistency in the law (clue: there isn't).

My bold.

Yes, that is exactly what I would do, I would not belittle them in the meeting.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » May 21st, 2019, 9:26 am

Wizard wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I would do, I would not belittle them in the meeting.

Berating an employee in 'public' reflects very badly on the employer, and is generally indicative of a bully. Private business belongs behind closed doors.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » May 21st, 2019, 9:30 am

Howyoudoin wrote:According to your post above Farage said he would take up a gun. If you think that's being a Dennis the Menace rather than a Walter the Softy, I guess we will have to beg to differ.

No, it's called being full of talk. Like the other Brexit hard lad Darren Grimes. Plenty of tough threats about what's going to happen if they don't get their way but I think we can be sure that, if all hell broke loose, they'd be safely tucked away from it.

Howyoudoin wrote:On your second point, if it's impossible to protect yourself from a milkshake attack, then it's impossible to protect yourself from an acid attack, as Wizard said.

That's possibly quite true (although I said 'almost' impossible).

Howyoudoin wrote:If fanatical lefties (as this attacker was by his own admission) want to force a situation where politicians no longer feel safe to walk the streets, they're going the right way about it.

Which is why I said I was against this sort of thing.

Return to “Polite Discussions”