Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Judge rules Vote Leave £350m figure correct

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Re: Judge rules Vote Leave £350m figure correct

Postby BobbyD » July 10th, 2019, 4:02 pm

“It is highly likely we will appeal. However, the legal team and I have to define exactly what the appeal is going to be before I confidently announce it. Because I don’t want to be in a position where I’m saying, ‘Oh, I’m definitely appealing, I’m definitely appealing’, and then in two weeks my legal team, finding something, are saying, ‘Marcus we can’t appeal because of this’. I have to be 100% sure otherwise it’s not responsible to say it.”

- https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/07/excl ... 0000-debt/

OwenSwansea
Lemon Slice

Postby OwenSwansea » July 10th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I can’t believe that bitter Remainers are still banging on about this matter!

Owen.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » July 31st, 2019, 2:48 pm

BobbyD wrote:
“It is highly likely we will appeal. However, the legal team and I have to define exactly what the appeal is going to be before I confidently announce it. Because I don’t want to be in a position where I’m saying, ‘Oh, I’m definitely appealing, I’m definitely appealing’, and then in two weeks my legal team, finding something, are saying, ‘Marcus we can’t appeal because of this’. I have to be 100% sure otherwise it’s not responsible to say it.”

Marcus Ball is now seeking to appeal this to the Supreme Court

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-brexit-supreme-court-vote-leave-nhs-bus-trial-appeal-a9029506.html

Marcus Ball, a 29-year-old entrepreneur who has so far raised £570,000 for the case, is now seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.

His lawyers have filed an application challenging the Divisional Court’s decision to quash the summons, arguing that judges were wrong to find that misconduct in public office laws could not be used for political campaign statements.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » July 31st, 2019, 2:55 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Marcus Ball is now seeking to appeal this to the Supreme Court

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-brexit-supreme-court-vote-leave-nhs-bus-trial-appeal-a9029506.html

Marcus Ball, a 29-year-old entrepreneur who has so far raised £570,000 for the case, is now seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.

His lawyers have filed an application challenging the Divisional Court’s decision to quash the summons, arguing that judges were wrong to find that misconduct in public office laws could not be used for political campaign statements.

Good news. The more money they lose on this things like this, the less likely they are to waste everyone's time going forward.

HYD

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » July 31st, 2019, 7:21 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Marcus Ball, a 29-year-old entrepreneur who has so far raised £570,000 for the case, is now seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.

They seemed genuinely happy with the last finding, I wonder if bizarrely it hasn't improved their position with regard to the finding that MIAPO specifically doesn't apply to statements made when campaigning.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » July 31st, 2019, 7:33 pm

BobbyD wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:Marcus Ball, a 29-year-old entrepreneur who has so far raised £570,000 for the case, is now seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.

They seemed genuinely happy with the last finding, I wonder if bizarrely it hasn't improved their position with regard to the finding that MIAPO specifically doesn't apply to statements made when campaigning.

They're spending other people's money, why wouldn't they be happy?

Means they can go again and get more exposure for Marcus and his friends. Whilst spending other people's money . . .

Perhaps there should be a separate enquiry for the 'poor' people who keep giving money to Marcus with no return?

HYD

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 31st, 2019, 10:10 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Ball
They're spending other people's money, why wouldn't they be happy?

Means they can go again and get more exposure for Marcus and his friends. Whilst spending other people's money . . .

Perhaps there should be a separate enquiry for the 'poor' people who keep giving money to Marcus with no return?

HYD

Given the strength of the last ruling I don't imagine it is certain he will be allowed to take it to the Supreme Court. At the very least I would imagine that if the Supreme Court upheld the last ruling Ball runs the risk of having to pay Johnson's costs. Does he have all the money he needs for this next step in place yet?

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » August 14th, 2019, 4:22 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Appeal denied
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-49345223

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter

Postby ursaminortaur » August 14th, 2019, 5:56 pm

JamesMuenchen wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:

Appeal denied

But that still might not be the end of the case

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/14/johnson-quashes-supreme-court-action-over-350m-brexit-claim

Speaking outside the high court on Wednesday after a hearing in which Rafferty refused an application to appeal to the supreme court, Ball insisted he would fight on.

“We have several options which we are now looking at,” he said

“One is to appeal to the European courts because what the UK courts system is essentially saying is that Boris Johnson is above the law. What choice do we have?

“Forget Boris Johnson for a moment. The ruling in this case applies to all public officers. It applies to army generals, judges and others. They can go on national television and lie to millions of people without any consequences.”

Ball added that other options could include seeking to go directly to the supreme court and seek a reason for why the appeal cannot be brought forward.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » August 14th, 2019, 10:17 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
JamesMuenchen wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:

Appeal denied

But that still might not be the end of the case

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/14/johnson-quashes-supreme-court-action-over-350m-brexit-claim

Speaking outside the high court on Wednesday after a hearing in which Rafferty refused an application to appeal to the supreme court, Ball insisted he would fight on.

“We have several options which we are now looking at,” he said

“One is to appeal to the European courts because what the UK courts system is essentially saying is that Boris Johnson is above the law. What choice do we have?

“Forget Boris Johnson for a moment. The ruling in this case applies to all public officers. It applies to army generals, judges and others. They can go on national television and lie to millions of people without any consequences.”

Ball added that other options could include seeking to go directly to the supreme court and seek a reason for why the appeal cannot be brought forward.

Seems like a desperate bid to continue his efforts at self publicity, I guess the key will be if he can get other people to throw more good money after bad funding his misadventures. He continues to try and argue a moral case with no acceptance of what the law actually says. However, as the judgement made pretty clear it is in reality a very poorly disguised effort to undermine Brexit and is not really about a broader moral crusade. Presumably there is an irony here in that after 31st Ocotber the European Court option won't be available to him if the UK does leave the EU with no deal.

JoyofBrex8889
Lemon Slice

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » August 15th, 2019, 1:17 am

There is no case.

Still, it harms the Remain cause.

It contributes to Remainer reputation as bad losers.

It wastes a potential Remainer funding stream.

It wastes Remainer media time and PR effort.

It contributes to Remainer internal disarray and disagreement over tactics.

As a Leaver, I fervently hope Mr Ball escalates his misguided case further. Imagine the farcical situation where an EU court rules BoJo committed misconduct in public office, despite UK courts findings to the contrary? Wouldn’t that be an open goal, a political gift to Leave?

Return to “Polite Discussions”