Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Sleep

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
bruncher
Lemon Slice

Sleep

Postby bruncher » July 16th, 2019, 5:43 am

'The Times' reported (front page headline) that the Department of Health will have a major public campaign to tell the citizenry how important sleep is and how much sleep we should all have.

This will be a useless exercise, however, if the causes of sleeplessness are not addressed. In particular noise is a huge problem and disturbs the sleep of millions. Noise from aircraft, railways, and roads, is all outside of any reasonable regulation and enforcement (e.g. (1) I have nowhere to complain if I am woken by aircraft at 04.30 (2) there are no speed limits on trains in populated areas). Other forms of noise e.g. antisocial neighbour noise is often not subject to enforcement because environmental health services have been cut in many areas.

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sleep

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2019, 7:31 am

I started a thread on this report in Health and Wellbeing the day the article was published. With respect, that seems a better place for it. Maybe you could put yours there? Come to think of it though since Polite Discussions is filled with Brexit threads, that might be the reason for insomnia.

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sleep

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 16th, 2019, 8:29 am

bruncher wrote:'The Times' reported (front page headline) that the Department of Health will have a major public campaign to tell the citizenry how important sleep is and how much sleep we should all have.

This will be a useless exercise, however, if the causes of sleeplessness are not addressed. In particular noise is a huge problem and disturbs the sleep of millions. Noise from aircraft, railways, and roads, is all outside of any reasonable regulation and enforcement (e.g. (1) I have nowhere to complain if I am woken by aircraft at 04.30 (2) there are no speed limits on trains in populated areas). Other forms of noise e.g. antisocial neighbour noise is often not subject to enforcement because environmental health services have been cut in many areas.

I agree. I (used to) find it very hard to "switch off" due to background sounds. e.g. road noise, antisocial neighbours.

Then (about 7 years ago) I discovered these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ear-Classic-pa ... B00I16YWJU
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-E-A-R-Cla ... 3761892202

Annoying at first, and fitting them to maximising effectiveness and minimise sensation took a days to figure out. But now falling asleep is beautiful, as long as my mind is quiet.

And yes, England is a very stupid country for apparent tolerance of antisocial noise (I used to have a Dutch colleague, who assured me that things in NL were much better, and people were cultured differently in this regard.)

But anyway, my advice is get the earplugs (shop around for best deal for genuine 3M ones) and forgot about all the world's idiots. And yes you can hear your alarm clock. Make sure your smoke alarm is good and close by etc. etc.

HTH Matt

Return to “Polite Discussions”