Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

The Future of Polite Debates

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments.
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Future of Polite Debates

Postby csearle » February 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

Lootman wrote:Is this a new policy for "Polite Boards"? Or am I on some kind of Watchlist?
At the moment it would seem, yes. And, no, it's not just you.

Regards,
Chris

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » February 3rd, 2017, 2:29 pm

At the risk of exasperating you further with a reply, I'd actually like the chance to thank you for that,
I really was not advocating reams and reams of tightly typed regulation, constantly under amendment as language and sensitivities change.

Some simple red line rules, backed up by robust but consistent moderation would be enough for most to rapidly gain a sense of whether they are approaching the line of unacceptability as they contribute.

However, there is inconsistency, and that frankly makes it difficult; in fact, too difficult to be anything other than anodyne or simply not bother.

The recent reaction to a premature declaration of an incident being an 'islamic terrorist event' was rapidly and aggressively challenged.
Rightly so in my opinion, and such reaction underlines an ethos of not fanning flames without fact. From that one can easily enough build up a logical idea of where the line is- and I thoroughly approve of it being there.
But then the inconsistency becomes apparent when the rush was made to see a right wing extremist as (wrongly) responsible for Malmo.

The point you make that disagreements must occur because one doesn't start a thread with the intention of having a change of mind, may, may, be true. What is indisputable however, is that others can find their opinion changed by the sturdy debate. I have. And that is a Good Thing.

It is that Good Thing which makes me wish not to spoil it for anyone else by having you close it down.

I am sure however, that it can remain a place of 'frank and substantive discussion' with gentle, consistent, respectful moderation.

Avarus
Lemon Slice

Postby Avarus » February 13th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Many of the posts here are about Brexit and politics generally. The standard here just reflects that of politics these days I'm afraid:

AUSTRIA’S left-wing president today branded people who voted for Brexit “crazy” and “not particularly intelligent” during an extraordinary rant in Brussels.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... nt-EU-vote

Avarus - a crazy, unintelligent Brexit supporter (presumably I can call myself names :))

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 13th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Avarus wrote:Many of the posts here are about Brexit and politics generally. The standard here just reflects that of politics these days I'm afraid:

AUSTRIA’S left-wing president today branded people who voted for Brexit “crazy” and “not particularly intelligent” during an extraordinary rant in Brussels.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... nt-EU-vote

Avarus - a crazy, unintelligent Brexit supporter (presumably I can call myself names :))

Not only a crazy unintelligent Brexit supporter, but even worse.... apparently a Daily Express reader ;) ;) ;) ;)
Just kiddin'

--kiloran

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » February 13th, 2017, 6:32 pm

kiloran wrote:Not only a crazy unintelligent Brexit supporter, but even worse.... apparently a Daily Express reader ;) ;) ;) ;)
Just kiddin'

Really? :)

Avarus
Lemon Slice

Postby Avarus » February 13th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Not only a crazy unintelligent Brexit supporter, but even worse.... apparently a Daily Express reader ;) ;) ;) ;)
Just kiddin'

It gets worse - I read The Mail as well :oops:

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » February 13th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Avarus wrote:
Just kiddin'

It gets worse - I read The Mail as well :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TopOnePercent
Lemon Slice

Postby TopOnePercent » February 26th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Hello Mods!

I was wondering if we could, as a board, ask for your feedback please? I'd like to understand, since the lockout, whether we're collectively behaving better or worse, and some sort of indication of scale.

Thanks.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 27th, 2017, 1:08 am

TopOnePercent wrote:I was wondering if we could, as a board, ask for your feedback please.
Thank you for your question. I shouldn't think it will be too long before we come up with an answer.

Regards,
Chris

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » February 27th, 2017, 6:46 am

TopOnePercent wrote:Hello Mods!

I was wondering if we could, as a board, ask for your feedback please? I'd like to understand, since the lockout, whether we're collectively behaving better or worse, and some sort of indication of scale.

Thanks.

In terms of posts that have needed moderation then it is clear the board collectively is doing better than before. It is seems that most people have made a deliberate attempt to moderate their own posting behaviour so that they stick to the published rules. Personally I will be very pleased if this continues, it saves me a lot of work.

John

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 27th, 2017, 8:39 am

Thanks.

When it was resurrected I kept a very close eye on the board. Made a couple of interjections, but it does seem to be better behaved than before. Still a few that are borderline but I suppose that is the way of the board. Still pop in to keep up to date but less so now.

Let's keep it that way so that moderators do not have to come down again.

Raptor.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 27th, 2017, 9:23 am

As the person who locked the board for a week, my tuppence-worth is that I haven't been actively reading the board, but nobody has called out that the attention of Stooz or I is required, so that's a positive sign thanks.

Clariman

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » February 27th, 2017, 10:02 am

Thanks.

Personally, as a moderator and poster both here and on other forums I would be in favour of this. Firstly it sames threads being dragged off topic by posters moaning that their posts have been moderated and secondly it allows posters that want to have a reasonable debate within the rules of the BB to understand why their post has been pulled (generally I find my posts are pulled because I'm behaving unreasonably on reflection but sometimes that reflection needs a little nudge).

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 10th, 2017, 10:43 am

To be honest, I'm wondering what the point of this board is. I mean, the only people who care enough about a subject have probably made their mind up about it, and it seems either exists at one end or the other of opinion on any subject. If this board exists to change people's minds on a subject, I can't see that it's working. If it exists to give keyboard warriors some space, then fair enough.

I'm probably not the only one who starts writing a reply on this board and then thinks "what's the point?" and deletes it again. This is probably the third time of typing this post.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » March 10th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Back in the days of TMF, LoST was a place I avoided because it was bad for my blood pressure. :evil: And besides, I generally had better things to do with my time than listen to the dull thud of tribal egos and prejudices that would collide together with all the predictability of stags during the spring rut.

I think we're doing a little bit better these days, thanks very much to the extraordinary diligence and sensitivity of the mods. The usual tribal boneheads are still at it, but lurking feels like more of a guilty pleasure these days, and less of a direct threat to my sanity. Or is it just that, in the age of Trump, I've become desensitised?

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 10th, 2017, 2:33 pm

ap8889 wrote:I rather enjoy the cut and thrust of debate. It's better to have jaw-jaw than war-war after all.

My main concern with the board is the sheer tameness of it. As soon as a snowflake starts losing the argument it seems their delicate eyes need protection from the rebuttal of their folly.

I think the use of the words snowflake, delicate and folly pretty well sums up the problem. It's really quite easy to have a robust discussion/argument on the board while respecting the fact that others may hold a different view to oneself, and without the use of such words being used in a disparaging manner.

--kiloran

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » March 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm

+1

I think the use of the words snowflake, delicate and folly pretty well sums up the problem. It's really quite easy to have a robust discussion/argument on the board while respecting the fact that others may hold a different view to oneself, and without the use of such words being used in a disparaging manner.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 10th, 2017, 3:07 pm

It just seems to be one side disagreeing with the other until one "side" realise the futility of repeating the same thing and moves on, or it gets personal and stopped by the mods.

No one ever seems to "win", unless being able to outlast your opponent when you're both saying the same things over and over counts as "winning".

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » March 10th, 2017, 3:13 pm

ap8889 wrote:My main concern with the board is the sheer tameness of it. As soon as a snowflake starts losing the argument it seems their delicate eyes need protection from the rebuttal of their folly.

I think the solution is maybe for us liberals to go a little easier on these Alt Right supporters of which you talk then. We don't want to end up just talking to ourselves... ;)

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » March 10th, 2017, 3:27 pm

SteMiS wrote:
ap8889 wrote:My main concern with the board is the sheer tameness of it. As soon as a snowflake starts losing the argument it seems their delicate eyes need protection from the rebuttal of their folly.

I think the solution is maybe for us liberals to go a little easier on these Alt Right supporters of which you talk then. We don't want to end up just talking to ourselves... ;)

:D

Return to “Polite Discussions”