Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Not really sure what I'm seeing here...(face

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Not really sure what I'm seeing here...(face

Postby NomoneyNohoney » August 30th, 2019, 11:17 am

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Not really sure what I'm seeing here...(face

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 30th, 2019, 11:36 am

Someone's selling a used Charlie and the Chocolate Factory joke?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » September 1st, 2019, 3:59 am

Rereading the comment I linked to, I guess it's allegorical. There are probably stories that the post is hinting at, that I'm just not realising. Anyone got any thoughts please? For example, "some annoying kid and his grandpa going on about a competition they'd won," isn't that Willy Wonka?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm

It appears that some people are more familiar with Charlie and the Chocolate factory than others.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory (the book) is a children's book written by Roald Dahl.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a 1971 film based upon the book. It stars Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, the factory owner. I suspect that most people will be most familiar with this version.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the film) is a 2005 film based upon the book. It was directed by Tim Burton and stars Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I recommend the 1971 film over this one.

Willy Wonka, the factory owner, hides gold tickets in five of his chocolate bars, the prize being a tour of his factory. Charlie is one of the lucky winners and is accompainied on the tour by Grandpa Joe. The other winners are not, let's say, the best behaved children and various things happen to them.

The events listed in the Facebook post are not in the right sequence.

The glutonous Augustus Gloop scoops up and eats chocolate from the chocolate river, despite being told not to, and falls in and gets sucked up a pipe.

Gum addict Violet Beauregarde could not resist grabbing some chewing gum that provided the flavour and fulfilment of a three-course meal. Wonka begged Violet to spit it out as he had not perfected it, there being a serious problem when it came to the desert. Everything was fine as she chewed through the starter and main course but, when she got to the blueberry pie, she swelled up like a blueberry.

Veruca Salt had a rich father who gave her everything she asked for. When the gold tickets were announced, she insisted on having one so her father purchased as many Wonka chocolate bars as were necessary and got his employees to check each one until a gold ticket was found. On the factory tour, Wonka showed the guests the squirrels he used to test and crack the nuts for his chocolate bars. Veruca insisted that she wanted one of the squirrels and, when Wonka refused to sell one, she went into the nut-cracking area to get one herself. The squirrels tapped her on the head, decided that she was a bad nut and threw her down the reject chute to the furnace (which is only lit on certain days).

Mike Teavee was television crazy and, when Wonka demonstrated his special camera which could transmit a real chocolate bar over the air so that viewers at home could grab it from their TV screens, Mike wanted to be sent over the air too. The problem is that things on the TV screen are much smaller than in real life (the chocolate bar used for the demonstration was enormous but came out on the TV screen normal size). Mike survived the journey but ended up only a few inches tall.

In the 1971 film, after Charlie finds the gold ticket, a man approaches him and offers a large sum of money for an everlasting gobstopper from the factory. From what I recall, this did not happen in the book (it has been decades since I read it).

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Laughing Lemons”