Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Agony Aunt question

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Agony Aunt question

Postby AndyPandy » August 31st, 2019, 9:31 am

Q: When should I use contraception?

AA: On every conceivable occasion.

Credit:
Lifted and paraphrased from the last ever Goon Show that was replayed this week on R4Extra. The Goon Show is dated, obviously, but there is the odd gem if you look hard enough (listen long enough)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Agony Aunt question

Postby kiloran » August 31st, 2019, 9:50 am

AndyPandy wrote: The Goon Show is dated, obviously, but there is the odd gem if you look hard enough (listen long enough)

Cough! Splutter!

The odd gem? It's packed with gems. For instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 31st, 2019, 10:15 am

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » August 31st, 2019, 10:33 am

kiloran wrote:
AndyPandy wrote: The Goon Show is dated, obviously, but there is the odd gem if you look hard enough (listen long enough)

Cough! Splutter!

The odd gem? It's packed with gems. For instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk

--kiloran

The Goons started Broadcasting before I was born but in my youth I listened to a lot of shows and loved them. I also enjoyed Spike's Q series on TV. Listening to them again, however, on R4Extra I don't think that a lot of it has withstood the test of time and don't find it as funny as I did then. Perhaps it's me.

The same is said of Monty Python but there are schools of thought that they were less funny anyway.

As an aside, I bought a car off James Grafton, Jimmy Grafton's son. They were both Harry Secombe's Agent and James told me that Jimmy secured Harry on a Golf Course with a shake of the hand, no written contract was ever put in place.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 31st, 2019, 6:58 pm

AndyPandy wrote:
kiloran wrote:

Cough! Splutter!

--kiloran

The Goons started Broadcasting before I was born but in my youth I listened to a lot of shows and loved them. I also enjoyed Spike's Q series on TV. Listening to them again, however, on R4Extra I don't think that a lot of it has withstood the test of time and don't find it as funny as I did then. Perhaps it's me.

Same here. The Goon show was way before I was born but I discovered them in my 20s and had quite a collection of cassettes. I still remember that moment in 'The Flea' where Bluebottle and Eccles are standing guard outside a clockmaker's shop, all the clocks strike the hour and Bluebottle asks in his delightful squeaky voice "What time is it, Eccles?" Then Eccles ..."I've got it writted down on a piece of paper"..."But what do you do when it's not the same time?"..."Then I don't show it to 'em!"...."But how do you know what the real time is?"...."Cos I got it writted down on a piece of paper!"... ad nauseam :-)

I also discovered the Tony Hancock radio shows years after he died, but I think that Kenneth Williams and Sid James pretty much stole the show and Tony Hancock must have realised.

Then, Around the Horne which I occasionally still listen to, it's so clever, though with Marty Feldman and Barry Took writing the script, I'm not surprised. Again, it wouldn't be the same without Kenneth Williams, but here, he interacts with the others in a magical way, and I can't believe it was in 1967!!

Steve

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » September 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm

The Eccles sketch I still recite concerned I think Neddy Seagoon and a noise in the street, along the lines of:

NS: What's all that' noise? Don't you know it's 4 o'clock in the morning?
E: Really? I make it five to.
NS: What are you doing down there?
E: Everyone's got to be somewhere

---

i gather that when the Goons Show was first proposed to the BBC, the BBC decision-makers read it as the Go On Show.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 3rd, 2019, 8:47 pm

AndyPandy wrote: I also enjoyed Spike's Q series on TV. Listening to them again, however, on R4Extra I don't think that a lot of it has withstood the test of time and don't find it as funny as I did then. Perhaps it's me.
The same is said of Monty Python but there are schools of thought that they were less funny anyway.

I think there was an awful lot of dross in both the shows you mention. Watch any of them in full and you will be disappointed.
But we always remember the gems. The highlights are truly brilliant.

Gryff

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 3rd, 2019, 11:17 pm

brightncheerful wrote:The Eccles sketch I still recite concerned I think Neddy Seagoon and a noise in the street, along the lines of:

NS: What's all that' noise? Don't you know it's 4 o'clock in the morning?
E: Really? I make it five to.
NS: What are you doing down there?
E: Everyone's got to be somewhere

One of my favourites too

--kiloran

Return to “Laughing Lemons”