Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bayeux Tapestry loan to UK

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Bayeux Tapestry loan to UK

Postby stewamax » January 17th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Hmm... I wonder if President Macron would have agreed to this if William of Normandy* had been killed instead?

When M Macron is here, I suggest an enlightening visit to the Royal Collections at the Waterloo Chamber in Windsor Castle.
He should also be allowed to address (or least least visit) Parliament where he would be conducted slowly past Maclise's colossal Waterloo and Trafalgar wall paintings in the Royal Gallery.
And to round it off, a private tour around a typical London town house (Apsley House for example), followed by tea and cucumber sandwiches at a typical country house such as Stratfield Saye.
He should be left with the (correct) impression that we chaps are all either North German or Scandinavian, and his follow-up letter of appreciation for our warm hospitality would be addressed to HM Queen Elisabeth of Saxe-Coburg Gotha and HRH Prince Philip of Schleswig Holstein Sonderburg Glücksburg.

Outside heraldry, Parliament unsurprisingly still uses Norman French for approving Bills (La Reyne le veult; La Reyne remercie ses bons sujets, accepte leur benevolence, et ainsi le veult; Soit fait comme il est désiré, and for refusing Bills (La Reyne s'avisera), although a Monarch hasn't bounced a Bill since 1708 - well before the French Revolution

* who was a Norseman; yet another individual who successfully invaded France (or whatever that part of the world was called at the time)

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: Bayeux Tapestry loan to UK

Postby tea42 » January 17th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I have seen both, the Bayeaux one and the one in Reading Museum, not much to choose I would say. London is the right venue to exhibit the genuine article because Londoners and Tourists wont want to head for Reading. Hopefully they will recover the cost of the cabinet and a/c.

Return to “Laughing Lemons”