Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to servodude,tjh290633,csearle,jfgw,bionichamster, for Donating to support the site

One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

Mind that apostrophe.
kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2022
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 902 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233237

Postby kiloran » July 1st, 2019, 7:42 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Even so, bungeejumper made reference, I believe, to the day after New Year's Day. Is there more to tell or do many Grocer's celebrate New Year's Eve to such an extent that they are still suffering on 2 January? Unless his Grocer is based in Scotland, which would most likely explain the situation.


Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

--kiloran

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1019 times
Been thanked: 1164 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233256

Postby PinkDalek » July 1st, 2019, 8:56 pm

kiloran wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:Is there more to tell or do many Grocer's celebrate New Year's Eve to such an extent that they are still suffering on 2 January?


Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

--kiloran


I'm glad to note someone was paying attention. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not the mistake was deliberate. :mrgreen:

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4296
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233263

Postby XFool » July 1st, 2019, 9:23 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:The BBC seem to favour 'Isas', which looks awful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48759591

Agreed but it is in their searchable style guide as Isa http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/academy/acad ... _2018.docx (as against ISAs https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts).

So why do they not call themselves 'The Bbc'?

- I could mention Nicholas Parsons and 'Just a Minute' here. But I won't. :lol:

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4296
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233266

Postby XFool » July 1st, 2019, 9:25 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Reading a good article on the Investors Chronicle on housing the journalist stated ".......estimates that only a quarter of 27 year-olds now own their own property, compared with 43% in the early 2000's"

Really? A quarter compared to 43%? Why not 25% and 43%? I do understand that it is not difficult (or even a challenge) to mentally compute the scale of the difference by oh why mix up imperial and metric units?

When did vulgar fractions become "Imperial units", or percentages "Metric units"? ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3521
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 721 times
Been thanked: 777 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233273

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2019, 9:58 pm

XFool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:The BBC seem to favour 'Isas', which looks awful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48759591

Agreed but it is in their searchable style guide as Isa http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/academy/acad ... _2018.docx (as against ISAs https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts).

So why do they not call themselves 'The Bbc'?

...


Someone pointed that out in the BBC (erm Bbc ) comments section.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice
Posts: 526
Joined: August 31st, 2018, 9:08 pm
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233290

Postby EssDeeAitch » July 2nd, 2019, 5:01 am

XFool wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:Reading a good article on the Investors Chronicle on housing the journalist stated ".......estimates that only a quarter of 27 year-olds now own their own property, compared with 43% in the early 2000's"

Really? A quarter compared to 43%? Why not 25% and 43%? I do understand that it is not difficult (or even a challenge) to mentally compute the scale of the difference by oh why mix up imperial and metric units?

When did vulgar fractions become "Imperial units", or percentages "Metric units"? ;)


I certainly posted this in the correct forum :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1518
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 522 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233304

Postby scotia » July 2nd, 2019, 8:52 am

In my early working years I quickly learned that the ancient skilled turner in the workshop would become abusive if I attempted to mention mm. I had to quickly learn that one mm translated to forty thou (or near enough).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2022
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 902 times

Re: One fourth, a quarter or 25% - but not all three

#233330

Postby kiloran » July 2nd, 2019, 10:34 am

XFool wrote:When did vulgar fractions become "Imperial units", or percentages "Metric units"? ;)

And when did perfectly respectable fractions become vulgar?

--kiloran


Return to “Pedants' Place”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest