Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Double entendre vs Innuendo?

Mind that apostrophe.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Double entendre vs Innuendo?

Postby stevensfo » February 26th, 2024, 2:13 pm

Can someone explain the difference, if there is one?

Yes, I've heard all the jokes, "The barmaid asked me for a double entendre so I gave her one' etc

An innuendo? Isn't that an Italian suppository.. etc ;)

They were used all the time on BBC radio and TV, apparently specifically to trick the producer who would have been far too old fashioned and naive to understand.

But is there a subtle difference? Can one be used to describe a phrase or only a word?

Steve

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Double entendre vs Innuendo?

Postby Tedx » February 26th, 2024, 2:24 pm

I would suggest that a double entendre is an innuendo.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » February 26th, 2024, 2:25 pm

A double entendre is where you say something with two different meanings, one of which is usually sexual in some way.

An innuendo is where you leave something unsaid (literally it is a "nod towards"), which can be sexual but is more often disparaging. Or both - "she often has gentleman callers", leaving unsaid that they stay the night, the slag.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 26th, 2024, 2:29 pm

Tedx wrote:I would suggest that a double entendre is an innuendo.

Hmm...

A double entendre is simply something that can literally have two meanings, can be interpreted in two different ways. Often, one literal and one rude.

innuendo /ĭn″yoo͞-ĕn′dō/
noun
1. An indirect or subtle, usually derogatory implication in expression; an insinuation.
2. A plaintiff's allegation explicating the defamatory meaning of the publication or utterance in a libel suit.
3. An oblique hint; a remote allusion or reference, usually derogatory to a person or thing not named; an insinuation.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 26th, 2024, 4:45 pm

A double-entendre is generally humorous. For example, a pantomime joke that works at an adult and a child level.

An innuendo is commonly passive-aggressive, or even malicious. Puts an implied accusation in a way that's very difficult to answer without digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Or [ISIHAC] an innuendo is what was fatally experienced by Edward II.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 27th, 2024, 2:21 am

XFool wrote:
Tedx wrote:I would suggest that a double entendre is an innuendo.

Hmm...

A double entendre is simply something that can literally have two meanings, can be interpreted in two different ways. Often, one literal and one rude.

innuendo /ĭn″yoo͞-ĕn′dō/
noun
1. An indirect or subtle, usually derogatory implication in expression; an insinuation.
2. A plaintiff's allegation explicating the defamatory meaning of the publication or utterance in a libel suit.
3. An oblique hint; a remote allusion or reference, usually derogatory to a person or thing not named; an insinuation.

One can (and often does) use innuendo in a double ententre - the old "so I gave her one" being a punchline to many (as the options for one what are only insinutated)

but a double entendre can also be a lot less subtle.. as when little Johnny stuck the firework in his dog's rectum, or even just "Slow Children Crossing"

Or at least that's how I see the cake... or a meringue?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 27th, 2024, 8:03 am

Thanks for the explanations. Although a bit before my time, I discovered the mp3 recordings of 'Round the Horne' many years ago, and they seemed to use them all the time. In an interview, somebody mentioned that the writers used them more and more to get dirty jokes into the script without getting into trouble. He reckoned that most sailed right over the producer's head, and he often didn't understand why the audience were in hysterics. ;)

One I remember is from the famous Sandy & Jules sketches with Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick. In one sketch, they explain to Kenneth Horne how they're working as a legal team. When asked what they're currently doing, Kenneth Williams says something like, "Well, of course, Jules and I are usually involved in certain illegal activities."

The audience cracked up. Homosexuality was still officially illegal but everyone knew that they were both gay. :lol:

Steve

PS The main writer then was Marty Feldman, an absolute genius!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 27th, 2024, 9:25 am

stevensfo wrote:Thanks for the explanations. Although a bit before my time, I discovered the mp3 recordings of 'Round the Horne' many years ago, and they seemed to use them all the time. In an interview, somebody mentioned that the writers used them more and more to get dirty jokes into the script without getting into trouble. He reckoned that most sailed right over the producer's head, and he often didn't understand why the audience were in hysterics. ;)

One I remember is from the famous Sandy & Jules sketches with Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick. In one sketch, they explain to Kenneth Horne how they're working as a legal team. When asked what they're currently doing, Kenneth Williams says something like, "Well, of course, Jules and I are usually involved in certain illegal activities."

The audience cracked up. Homosexuality was still officially illegal but everyone knew that they were both gay. :lol:

Steve

PS The main writer then was Marty Feldman, an absolute genius!

If you enjoyed Round the Horne there were a couple of documentaries on Polari "going about' a while back, that I found quite entertaining and interesting (but not obviously enough to recall what they were called), which seemed to take the double entendre in to the territory of shibboleth or armour. It's appeal eventually rubbing off on the mainstream
;)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 27th, 2024, 11:50 am

stevensfo wrote: When asked what they're currently doing, Kenneth Williams says something like, "Well, of course, Jules and I are usually involved in certain illegal activities."

It was more subtle than that. They had a criminal practice which took up a lot of their time. They were lawyers that week.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 27th, 2024, 12:15 pm

Alaric wrote:
stevensfo wrote: When asked what they're currently doing, Kenneth Williams says something like, "Well, of course, Jules and I are usually involved in certain illegal activities."

It was more subtle than that. They had a criminal practice which took up a lot of their time. They were lawyers that week.

Thanks for that! I knew it something along those lines.

I also liked the 'Fiona and Charles' sketches. It always amazes me how they were able to get through those sketches without collapsing with laughter! ;)

Steve

Return to “Pedants' Place”