Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Yodelling Pizza Nonsense

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Yodelling Pizza Nonsense

Postby quelquod » June 14th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Something that has me grabbing for the TV remote is that latest squawking yodelling advert for Dominos pizzas. Not that I’ve ever bought one anyway, a glance at the ridiculous prices in their flyers for the things has me straight off to Farmfoods to stock my freezer.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Yodelling Pizza Nonsense

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2021, 11:55 pm

quelquod wrote:Something that has me grabbing for the TV remote is that latest squawking yodelling advert for Dominos pizzas. Not that I’ve ever bought one anyway, a glance at the ridiculous prices in their flyers for the things has me straight off to Farmfoods to stock my freezer.

More fool you, having a bloomin' telly.

I once bought (and ate) a Dominos pizza[1]. Once was enough.

[1] If I recollect aright, I needed sustenance after many hours on the train, but still had an evening event ahead of me before I could go home, and I didn't have time for a meal at a pub or similar.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 15th, 2021, 6:57 am

Am I getting old and grumpy.
Humour seems largely lacking in modern adverts.
At the risk of being accused of 'carism' I really cannot differentiate between one make and another and at times even wonder what they are promoting.

Moves off quietly muttering to himself! :(

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 15th, 2021, 7:45 am

todthedog wrote:Am I getting old and grumpy.
Humour seems largely lacking in modern adverts.

Do Lager ads still do the rounds? ISTR they were often a lot better than the product advertised, with Heineken's kind-of entering the language!

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 15th, 2021, 5:22 pm

My bete noir is those adverts that have cutey-wutey cudderwey animals making me reach for the semi-automatic "they" won't let me have.

And why do people buy over-priced pizzas ? Can they not pimp a Welsh Rarebit ?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 15th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Is that watching live TV? It's thick with unwanted content you can and should avoid. It's the ads in those TV players that bug me as they are harder to escape though I hear good things about blockers
I occasionally do loive between 7.30pm and 9pm some weekdays but prefer to time shift which can remove ads.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm

marronier wrote:My bete noir is those adverts that have cutey-wutey cudderwey animals making me reach for the semi-automatic "they" won't let me have.

Adverts, like many things, undergo fashions. Unfortunately, one trope still in fashion, which for some reason I find hideously irritating, is that of having babies or very young infants apparently mouthing the words to advertising jingles. Just so HATE it. No idea why, possibly because it is just so very much of a current thing in adverts,

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 6th, 2022, 3:31 pm

It gets worse...

'Most irritating advert ever' ?

No contest!

That current 'Hey Car' advert. Jeez!

Every time it comes on any channel now, whatever I am listening to or watching for whatever reason, I just change channel - IMMEDIATELY

This ad is truly a world beater.

As I mentioned before, fashions in ads change over time. In the 1980s we had the emergence of 'clever' TV ads. The current fashion in advertising has moved on - now is the time of the simple 'cricket bat full in the face' style of advertising.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 6th, 2022, 4:52 pm

We try and record programmes that have ads in them so we can skip over the damn ads but we alwayds seem to catch the end of a stupid ad about popcorn coming out of a machine non stop. Not too sure what they're supposed to be selling but whatever it is I'd avoid it like the plague.

R6

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 6th, 2022, 8:11 pm

It's ironic that ads power the commercial channels, and yet, who watches them, who buys anything as a consequence of watching them.... same can be said of internet ads.
I suppose it's better to foster the illusion that advertising is effective, than having to pay a sub for everything we watch.

What do you think of that Hiscox ad on Times Radio? The one that was faintly amusing the first time....
Grrrr.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 6th, 2022, 8:24 pm

88V8 wrote:It's ironic that ads power the commercial channels, and yet, who watches them, who buys anything as a consequence of watching them.... same can be said of internet ads.
I suppose it's better to foster the illusion that advertising is effective, than having to pay a sub for everything we watch.

V8

You think TV advertising is ineffective? Presumably advertisers find otherwise.

RC

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 8th, 2022, 12:17 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
88V8 wrote:It's ironic that ads power the commercial channels, and yet, who watches them, who buys anything as a consequence of watching them.... same can be said of internet ads.

V8

RC

Does Advertising Actually Work? (Part 1: TV)

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/does-a ... tv-ep-440/

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 8th, 2022, 3:23 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

It never used to be effective afaic, reach for the Mute and go back to reading my book.
Mind you, that was ten years ago when we had a tele.
Perhaps its effectiveness is relative to age? Do you think it's effective? Or only the childrens' stuff?

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 8th, 2022, 4:56 pm

88V8 wrote:It never used to be effective afaic, reach for the Mute and go back to reading my book.
Mind you, that was ten years ago when we had a tele.
Perhaps its effectiveness is relative to age? Do you think it's effective? Or only the childrens' stuff?

V8

I can only assume that it is effective or there wouldn't be such a huge advertising industry and I expect that companies who advertise can tell to some degree of accuracy how effective it is. For example, I listen to Classic FM quite a lot - since getting an overdose of Brexit news reporting on Radio 4 - and a dental company has for some time been advertising their implant services. Likewise companies flogging PPE during the C19 pandemic and a company advertising 'same day video appointments with a GP'*. I imagine that they can tell fairly well how much new business they are getting for the money they spend. And we all know that Guinness is good for you don't we? :)

* I complained to the ASA about that one and my complaint was upheld because they could not always offer 'same day appointments'.

RC

Return to “Bitter Lemons”