Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Not enough heat pump discussions

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Not enough heat pump discussions

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2021, 2:02 pm

I can't seem to find any discussions on the Lemon Fool about installing heat pumps. :( Apart from Building and DIY, Current Affairs, Living Below Your Means, Does Anybody Know, Beerpig, Macro & Global and dozen or so other places, there seems to be nobody at all talking about this important issue at all. Absolutely nobody. The silence is deafening. And puzzling. :?

Brothers, sisters, committee members, it's time for a bit of levelling up. We need our very own Bitter Lemon heat pump discussion, and we want it right here, right now. Let's hear it for Coefficient of Performance ratios, and three feet of sheep's wool in the loft, and goodbye to the spare bedroom, and 300 foot deep holes in the ground.

Fight for your right to talk hot air. And don't let anybody stop us!

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Not enough heat pump discussions

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 20th, 2021, 9:43 pm

No use.

I tried to get a heatpump installed, but couldn't find anyone to do the job. That along with an induction hob should've dispensed with gas altogether. After too many cold showers last winter I ended up doing what I absolutely didn't want, and got a new gas boiler in February. :cry:

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 21st, 2021, 6:12 am

We are all too busy sitting on the M25 to be talking about heatpumps.

You people just don't understand what we are trying to do

I sat there calmly whilst this white van driver complained that I was stopping him delivering his insulation urgently needed at the building site.

I suspect your heatpumps were sat in the lorry behind him.

Hopefully some of you will be more supportive and bring us a cup of tea whilst we blockade, made with a solar powered kettle.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 21st, 2021, 8:40 am

Gerry557 wrote:Hopefully some of you will be more supportive and bring us a cup of tea whilst we blockade, made with a solar powered kettle.

I don't trust kettles, after all, they are whistleblowers :lol:

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 21st, 2021, 9:35 am

When all the heat has been pumped indoors will global warming be OK?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 21st, 2021, 9:52 am

Unless a lot of private homes have their own diesel generators, the national grid will not be able to cope with the extra load. An alternative would be gas heat pumps like these, https://www.energymanagermagazine.co.uk/schwank-launches-gas-heat-pumps/ although I not sure that I would want that name prominently displayed on a box bolted to my house!

The real outcome is more likely to be a failure of the grid in the middle of the coldest months resulting in people sitting at home freezing their @@ s off. The resulting loss of fertility will have a positive effect on the real cause of the global crisis.

As for me, I will just sit closer to a corner of the room, as the corners are usually about 90°.

Julian F. G. W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 21st, 2021, 11:15 am

jfgw wrote:The real outcome is more likely to be a failure of the grid in the middle of the coldest months resulting in people sitting at home freezing their @@ s off. The resulting loss of fertility will have a positive effect on the real cause of the global crisis.

As for me, I will just sit closer to a corner of the room, as the corners are usually about 90°.

It's OK, to keep warm we can go sit in our cars and run the engine.

Must remember that point about the 90 degrees :)

V8

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 21st, 2021, 11:28 am

88V8 wrote:It's OK, to keep warm we can go sit in our cars and run the engine.

That will work while your car has an engine.

I think the best way is to not bother heating the house but to just sit in a pub instead. There is usually a good choice of 70°body-warmers available.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 21st, 2021, 11:30 am

Gerry557 wrote:We are all too busy sitting on the M25 to be talking about heatpumps.

I sat there calmly whilst this white van driver complained that I was stopping him delivering his insulation urgently needed at the building site.

Hopefully some of you will be more supportive and bring us a cup of tea whilst we blockade, made with a solar powered kettle.

When we all have our homes insulated, drive electric cars and have heat pumps installed protesters will always find something to complain about.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 21st, 2021, 11:58 am

I'm off to do my bit for the environment and get a plant-based burger for my lunch now.

Method of production:
1. Feed plant material to a cow...

Julian F. G. W.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 21st, 2021, 12:04 pm

hopefully end of production line is not his back end :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 21st, 2021, 12:12 pm

pje16 wrote:hopefully end of production line is not his back end :lol:

It's a burger ferchrissake! The prime (though far from only) reason cattle are fed a diet that gives them the permanent dire rear and lots of gas.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 21st, 2021, 12:35 pm

88V8 wrote:
jfgw wrote:The real outcome is more likely to be a failure of the grid in the middle of the coldest months resulting in people sitting at home freezing their @@ s off. The resulting loss of fertility will have a positive effect on the real cause of the global crisis.

It's OK, to keep warm we can go sit in our cars and run the engine.

Must remember that point about the 90 degrees :)

V8

It's best to run your car in the garage as it's a nice confined space and the temperature soon gets toasty!

:shock:

sleepy time....

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 21st, 2021, 12:40 pm

monabri wrote:sleepy time....

For good if you keep the doors closed :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:cattle are fed a diet that gives them the permanent dire rear and lots of gas.

Good thinking. It's freezing here. Anybody got a match?

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 22nd, 2021, 7:28 am

Mike88 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:We are all too busy sitting on the M25 to be talking about heatpumps.

When we all have our homes insulated, drive electric cars and have heat pumps installed protesters will always find something to complain about.

Is that when we cool the core of the earth with all these heat pumps and have to ask Bruce Willis to come and save us all but it fails as he is stuck in traffic

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 22nd, 2021, 9:37 am

Mike88 wrote:

It will be the noise pollution. One heat pump whirring away is no big deal. 30m of them all whirring away together when the indoor temp falls below 23c will cause an intolerable hum outdoors wherever you go.....

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 22nd, 2021, 7:00 pm

Mike4 wrote:It will be the noise pollution. One heat pump whirring away is no big deal. 30m of them all whirring away together when the indoor temp falls below 23c will cause an intolerable hum outdoors wherever you go.....

We have precedent for that. One car passing is no big deal (unless it's defective). A constant stream of them is noise pollution. As is a single one idling near you without going anywhere.

I expect a well-installed heat pump will be much less noise than a car, but many will be mounted with a sounding board (lazy rather than deliberate) for any vibration, and of course many will get noisier with age.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 23rd, 2021, 10:51 am

Mike4 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

It will be the noise pollution. One heat pump whirring away is no big deal. 30m of them all whirring away together when the indoor temp falls below 23c will cause an intolerable hum outdoors wherever you go.....

Yep. I mentioned this in my earlier post. Noise will become a major issue unless something quieter is invented. As matters stand there are few people daft enough to take advantage of the government's £5000 grant.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 25th, 2021, 8:41 am

I had a heat pump installed last year, well two in fact.

They are absolutely brilliant.

This summer they kept the house nice and cool but this winter back to the good old gas boiler and radiators to keep the house warm.

Didn’t I mention, they are aircon units.

If you want to be amused look at the hoops HMRC jump through to try to persuade people to believe that air source heat pumps for heating qualify for 5% VAT on installation but that aircon units, which are air source heat pumps as they operate in either direction, do not. The legislation is very clear - air source heat pumps qualify for the reduced VAT rate no matter whether you use them for heating or cooling.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”