Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pepsi moronic advertising

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
zico
Lemon Quarter

Pepsi moronic advertising

Postby zico » February 13th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Saw an advert for Pepsi at the cinema today.

"If you don't like it, you just haven't tasted it yet".
Well, a bit optimistic, but fair enough I suppose, you're advertising the stuff.

"Taste it, or love it".
What? This slogan implies that people only love Pepsi if they don't drink it.
You really haven't thought this through at all have you?

"And now, new ginger Pepsi".
OK, no need to tell me any more. I get it.

"It's Pepsi, with the refreshing tang of ginger".

Well thanks for explaining. I suppose there may be some people in the world who might have thought it was a special Pepsi suitable for Prince Harry and other ginger-headed people.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pepsi moronic advertising

Postby staffordian » February 13th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Don't get me started on moronic adverts ;)

The ones that get my blood boiling are those ruddy bingo ones.

One implies that if you play their bingo you will be part of a crowd of happy folk all having the time of their lives riding on a preserved railway line, or playing on go karts, when the reality is that sad individuals are probably sat home alone in front of their mobile or tablet chucking away their money into the coffers of a nameless corporate entity.

Keep meaning to contact the ASA but doubt it would make a difference.

Anyway, I feel better now that's off my chest :D

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 14th, 2018, 9:41 am

Someone tell Keira Knightley and Chanel that Peachy pink is not a practical colour for motorcycle leathers, and how does she get from nuddy in the bedroom to fully dressed in leathers and boots while the photographer is walking to the door of the apartment and back? Is he deaf? Because bike leather zips aren't the quietest zip in the haberdashers are they?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 14th, 2018, 11:09 am

It's those car adverts where congested urban centres turn into video games that really bother me. Just jump into your Nissan Juke/Clio/Fiesta/Vauxhall Astra (no, really...), and in moments you'll be climbing vertically up the walls of the skyscrapers and flying freely through the air, so as to get one over on the traffic jams. Or maybe the car will disintegrate around you and you'll gradually re-materialise as a truck monster straight out of the Transformers movie, battling dragons and chasing away the moving graffiti before they can eat you?

All you need, in fact, is a mental age of six, and you'll be dead-centre spot-on for the target demographic. Bit of a shame that you'll mostly use the car for driving to the shops and collecting the kids from school like everybody else. What a bunch of saddos.

BJ

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 14th, 2018, 11:41 am

UncleIan wrote:Someone tell Keira Knightley and Chanel that Peachy pink is not a practical colour for motorcycle leathers, and how does she get from nuddy in the bedroom to fully dressed in leathers and boots while the photographer is walking to the door of the apartment and back? Is he deaf? Because bike leather zips aren't the quietest zip in the haberdashers are they?

Perhaps something distracted me, as I didn't notice the sound of the zip (or lack of it).

The adverts that drive me up the wall are those for the various price comparison websites, particularly if singing or dancing is involved.

I won't use either of these culprits on principle.

Watis

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 14th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Watis wrote:I won't use either of these culprits on principle.

Actually I haven't worn Chanel for ages, daahling. It doesn't go with my opium-addict hollowed eye sockets, or my nuclear-bunker skinny shoulder blades, or my sexily war-ravaged "hungry look". Mario, more champagne, daahling, and don't fob me off with that 1989 rubbish this time. :roll:

The only reason why I'd make an exception for comparison websites is that they generally end up saving me hundreds of pounds. Bit of a pisser really, but what can you do? I mean, apart from turning the sound down?

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 14th, 2018, 12:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote: Bit of a pisser really, but what can you do? I mean, apart from turning the sound down?

When the adverts start use live pause for 3 or 4 minutes and then jump past them.

Or record what you want to watch and fast forward through the adverts.

Most of what you guys have been describing has been new to me. :D

Slarti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » February 14th, 2018, 4:37 pm

You forget how insidious the music used in adverts is. I did a quiz last week using advert music, 10 tunes mainly from the 80s and other than a team of youngsters (under 35s) they all got the questions right. Mind you in those days we sat through the damn things or made a cup of tea so not all progress is bad :D

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 14th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:You forget how insidious the music used in adverts is. I did a quiz last week using advert music, 10 tunes mainly from the 80s and other than a team of youngsters (under 35s) they all got the questions right.

Point taken. They don't make them like they used to. Try these older ones, then: "One thousand and one, one thousand and one, gets rid of that workaday frown".... "This is luxury you can afford, by Cyril Lord"......."

A Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders"...."You do the Shake and Vac, you put the freshness back"....Mind you, my favourite was that cigar bloke, puffing away blissfully to Ode to a G String, I think they called it. Nice work, whoever wrote that one. Classy. I wonder what became of him? Pass the toffees, love. ;)

BJ

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » February 14th, 2018, 6:57 pm

'Air on a G-string' perhaps? Not sure whether J S Bach was a cigar aficionado or not.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » February 14th, 2018, 7:14 pm

There are two adverts that annoy me.

The first is for a pay-day loan where Mum comes out of the house to the car followed by 16 y.o. son who says "Mum, the boiler`s broke ,there`s no hot water". Whereupon, she phones for a loan and says " Can`t get it fixed till tomorrow. You`ll just have to smell today ". WHAT! A 16 yo lad can`t boil a kettle and have a stand-up was at the basin?

The second is a word search competition that could cost £12.60 a call . The question is; "Find the name of a soap that began in 1972". The answer should be "Emmerdale" ,but I can only see "EastEnders" ,which started in 1985. Are Churchcastle Ltd having folk on?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 15th, 2018, 8:28 am

quelquod wrote:'Air on a G-string' perhaps? Not sure whether J S Bach was a cigar aficionado or not.

Apologies, quelquod, the irony icon on my keyboard was out of action. ;) But Mr Bach, of course, would have been perfect for any advertising campaign.

The Well-Tempered Shopping Trolley, consisting of 24 seasonal sets of variations in every key from quinoa to fish fingers, would have been an instant hit with Tesco. The Passacaglia and Fugue in Deep Freezer would have gone down a storm in Iceland, St Matthew's Passion Fruit Liqueur would have lifted spirits in Waitrose, and the Six Cello Sweets would surely have rescued Marks & Spencer's food division by now. :D Aaaah, what might have been.

BJ

orchard101
Lemon Pip

Postby orchard101 » February 17th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Gosh, you lot are amateurs!

By far the worst adverts are the (loads of) sofa sellers.

The latest one from DFS are that they are selling Mammoths. Just listen.' DFSs mammoth sale. '

Does no-one actually listen and authorise these things, either at the company or the advertising agent?

Turns me right off buying from any of them.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm

orchard101 wrote:Gosh, you lot are amateurs!

By far the worst adverts are the (loads of) sofa sellers.

The latest one from DFS are that they are selling Mammoths. Just listen.' DFSs mammoth sale. '

Does no-one actually listen and authorise these things, either at the company or the advertising agent?

Turns me right off buying from any of them.

Could that be anything to do with the solanic nature of their target audience?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 18th, 2018, 9:27 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Could that be anything to do with the solanic nature of their target audience?

Blimey, UE, that was a bit obscure, wasn't it? You rotten show-off. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”