Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Baftas

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: The Baftas

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 19th, 2018, 11:27 am

It's - oh my goodness - something over 20 years since I first encountered website "awards" flying around like confetti, some of them pointed in my direction. The obvious conclusion: an award on a website should be considered a warning label: this site indulges in a meeja w**kfest.

Having experienced that, it's very easy to see other meeja awards, not to mention the popular BBC epithet award-winning, with the contempt they deserve.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Re: The Baftas

Postby Sobraon » February 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Well Snorvey I agree that "there's f*ck all decent to watch on the telly these days". On Network TV in the last month or so I could only recall watching the regional news , 'red button' Winter Olympics, Dick Strawbridge's chateau restoration and Miriam's Big American Adventure - so about an hour or so a week.

Mrs S and daughters 1&2 like to watch the talent shows but for me these are so dire (alcohol would be needed) that I surreptitiously slip on over-the-ears headphones to completely blank the audio out and use my laptop (Kodi/Memrise/Duolingo/youtube). My son and both my daughters' boyfriends are exactly the same we just do not watch broadcast TV.

I completely understand that the plural of anecdote is not data but I suspect that the broadcast TV providers may have realised that they have irretrievably lost the male audience and are hanging on for dear life to the female audience and the late retirees. Would you invest in an IPO for the BBC? - nah - I'm oot

Return to “Bitter Lemons”