Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Jamie's 15 Minute Meals

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Jamie's 15 Minute Meals

Postby JMN2 » March 1st, 2018, 7:44 pm

15 minutes to cook and then spend 2 hours cleaning up the mess. Also spend extra 1 hour in a supermarket getting the many special ingredients.

Just when Jamie stopped using the word "wicked" he learned a new one, "gnarly". Everything fried or grilled is now "gnarly". That's how one is supposed to fry a lamb chop or a sirloin steak, it needs to get "gnarly".

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Jamie's 15 Minute Meals

Postby bungeejumper » March 2nd, 2018, 10:47 am

Jamie needs to get down with the kids a bit more. Gnarly was at least five years ago. I can't say it's a word that conjures up good food associations for me - I think it sounds tough and chewy.

I suspect that there's a lot of rubbish talked about 15 minute "cookery-grade" food. (As distinct from fry-ups, or pouring bottled sauce onto noodles.) I can rustle up a pretty good barbecue in 15 mins, but only if I've had time for the marinade. :D And grilled lamb doesn't need to take much more than twenty if the veg are ready-prepared. And if you're not going to be responsible for cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.

Reminds me, though, of my born-again bachelor days when I seized upon a copy of Delia Smith's "Cooking for Cheats". I was looking for, you know, "cheats". For busy people who wedre mostly going to be eating alone. It turned out that anything that took less than an hour and a half to prepare was cheating, in Delia's book. Fortunately, I also had a copy of Willie Rushton's "Superpig", which was a veritable cornucopia of foodie shortcuts, all the way from unconventional sandwiches to proper leg-over culinary seduction scenarios.

And also of sound advice for the unwary. "Never befridge bananas," he warned his readers. "They go black and frighten the neighbours."

BJ

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » March 2nd, 2018, 11:23 am

bought this for kids off to uni: "5 Ingredients, 10 Minutes"
tried out a few myself.
highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Ingredien ... 10+minutes

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 2nd, 2018, 2:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:As distinct from fry-ups, or pouring bottled sauce onto noodles.)
BJ

Hey, what's wrong with a fry-up?

And with 15 minutes, you don't need a bottled sauce. You can whip together a very nice sauce for pasta, with the only bottled bit being the olive oil.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”