Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Corporate Travel Policy

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Corporate Travel Policy

Postby DiamondEcho » March 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Current T+E policy we live under: 'Employee pays up to full-fare economy prices, anything you can find for an equivalent journey for up to that price is claimable'.
This can work well as full economy fare from the airline is $$$, so usually we can figure out business class flights for less.

I remember back in the City it worked differently. a) Everyone had to be booked through the in-house travel desk. b) depending on seniority and duration of flight you were assigned the flight-class you could fly.
That was quite amusing as some people were getting full-fare bizz-class flights to Australia/Japan etc and cashing them in for economy fares + cash [could be '000s]. Wasn't long until you had to file your original boarding cards with any T+E claim.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Corporate Travel Policy

Postby Howard » March 16th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Was this a corporate initiative test?

Employed by a number of large organisations, my advice would be to ignore petty rules which don’t make sense. Buy a second class ticket on your credit card, email the most appropriate senior executive to explain and travel to meet the client.

This approach served me well over the years and, perhaps unsurprisingly, the successful men and women I encountered in boardrooms had adopted the same approach and passed this kind of test.

However it is important to only do this when it is a clear cut opportunity to show that you are putting the company’s interest first and not trying it on!

regards

Howard

Return to “Bitter Lemons”