Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Corporate motivation

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Corporate motivation

Postby vrdiver » April 14th, 2018, 11:41 am

Popped into Asda this morning. Several staff were wearing polo shirts, with the legend on the back reading
Cleaning your store, all day, every day

No need to tell me, the customer - I can see if it's clean or not.

How depressing for an employee getting dressed in the morning: "wonder what I'll do at work today? Oh, hang on...."

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Corporate motivation

Postby Rhyd6 » April 16th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Not sure why they have to inform the customer of their cleaning regime. Maybe they've realised we no longer listen to the drivel they put out about their products but think that we may stop and read the comments on the shirts the staff are wearing :shock:

R6

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 16th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:
Not sure why they have to inform the customer of their cleaning regime. Maybe they've realised we no longer listen to the drivel they put out about their products but think that we may stop and read the comments on the shirts the staff are wearing

I use Aldi and Lidl as part of my regular shopping routine, and enjoy the lower prices and different products that they offer.

However, one other thing I've definitely noticed is that they very often have an issue with floor-cleanliness. There's often debris of one sort or another on the floor, and it's gone on for long enough for me to think that it's obviously not something that the management of these cheaper stores take too seriously, or it's simply a case of taking care of what they consider to be more important matters with the limited labour that they've got at any time.

If this is a wider issue for these types of stores, then I wouldn't be too surprised if this is a little nudge by Asda to try to get other people to notice the same thing, and something like this might well alter some shopping habits.

It's not something that bothers me too much, and I wouldn't normally even notice these types of things, so I think that almost proves how bad it must be if I'm spotting it.

A quite stealthy move by Asda, perhaps...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 17th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Not sure why they have to inform the customer of their cleaning regime. Maybe they've realised we no longer listen to the drivel they put out about their products but think that we may stop and read the comments on the shirts the staff are wearing :shock:

R6

Many of the bigger supermarkets have outsourced their janitorial services, so the people wearing the cleaning shirts would work for a different company than the normal store staff.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 18th, 2018, 8:48 am

Our local Lidl looks clean enough, but it has a peculiarly pungent smell, of a kind that I've often noticed in cheaper French supermarkets. Chemical, sour, with maybe a soupçon of rotting vegetable. I prefer to think that it's because of the brand of disinfectant that they're using. All I know is that you wouldn't get that sort of thing happening in Waitrose. Or Sainsbury's for that matter. Tesco? Hmmm, it depends on the branch, some are pretty grotty these days.

( A rather splendidly grumpy blog post about French retail odours/cleanliness here. Balanced, I should say,, with some honest truths about the good things in French supermarket cuisine. Enjoy.)
https://danieldrumm.wordpress.com/2011/ ... markets-2/

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 20th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Our local Lidl looks clean enough, but it has a peculiarly pungent smell, of a kind that I've often noticed in cheaper French supermarkets. Chemical, sour, with maybe a soupçon of rotting vegetable.

True! That's something that I've noticed here in Italy as well.

The veg and fruit in British supermarkets always look amazing, so shiny and well preserved, whereas in italian supermarkets they tend to go off quite fast.

Steve

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 20th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Could be that because in Lidl, there are pallets and stuff, so when they stack high and sell low, dirt could be transferred along the process. I've been to several ones in Finland, in the UK in Sevenoaks, Dorking, Durham/Arnisom and noticed nothing ghastly.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”