Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Trump at the pump

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Trump at the pump

Postby bungeejumper » May 9th, 2018, 11:23 am

Unleaded petrol's up 8p a litre this morning, and I had to go to three garages to find one that hadn't completely sold out of 95. Thanks Donald, you're making America grate again.

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Trump at the pump

Postby Lootman » May 9th, 2018, 11:34 am

bungeejumper wrote:Unleaded petrol's up 8p a litre this morning, and I had to go to three garages to find one that hadn't completely sold out of 95. Thanks Donald, you're making America grate again.

BJ

The good citizens of the state of New Jersey are today paying about 30p a litre for petrol. And that includes an attendant who pumps it for you (by state law).

Perhaps you should ask them which government policy towards energy they prefer?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 9th, 2018, 11:39 am

Lootman wrote:The good citizens of the state of New Jersey are today paying about 30p a litre for petrol. And that includes an attendant who pumps it for you (by state law).

Maybe I'll also ask them why so many shale oil companies are going bust? https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/T ... llers.html

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 9th, 2018, 11:42 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Lootman wrote:The good citizens of the state of New Jersey are today paying about 30p a litre for petrol. And that includes an attendant who pumps it for you (by state law).

Maybe I'll also ask them why so many shale oil companies are going bust? https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/T ... llers.html

An OPEC conspiracy, perhaps?

But my point is that probably 80% of what you are paying for petrol in the UK is tax. Why not be more angry about that?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 9th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Lootman wrote:But my point is that probably 80% of what you are paying for petrol in the UK is tax. Why not be more angry about that?

Hey, I do reserve the right to be angry about two things at once. ;)

In my saner moments, I reluctantly approve of European-style fuel taxes (in principle), if only because they help to finance the repair of the roads and also discourage cretins of all nationalities from buying planet-destroying six litre trucks to do the shopping and get the kids to school. On that count, of course, New Jersey fails twice over.

In my current mood, however, I am simply pissed off at Trump for whimsically trying to wipe 2.4 million barrels a day of Iranian oil off the global supply chain. (And thus thumping up the oil price and paying back the good ol' boys who pump shale oil for him.) I am still waiting for the orange superbrain to explain how imposing economic tariffs on Iran is going to make it any less likely that Tehran will bomb the hell out of Israel/Iraq/ the United States, especially since the very stable genius has now taken the brakes off its nuclear ambitions?

But soft, I hear the approaching footsteps of the moderators threatening to move this thread to Polite Discussions, the graveyard of human civility. Shhhh, act normal, everyone.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 9th, 2018, 1:27 pm

bungeejumper wrote:In my saner moments, I reluctantly approve of European-style fuel taxes (in principle),
BJ

Sadly the only really sane fuel tax we've had got discontinued. John Major's fuel price escalator could have weened us gradually away from ruinous practices, and stimulated a lot of R&D in alternatives. Not to mention helping to change lifestyle things, like the closure of local facilities like schools, shops, post offices that couldn't compete against big hubs with heavily subsidised (aka free) parking.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 9th, 2018, 6:04 pm

A further incentive to buy all-electric models or plug-in hybrids.
But given that the Chancellor will progressively lose a colossal amount of revenue from fuel tax, it does make me wonder whether charging points - even domestic ones - will be regulated and the supply surtaxed electronically via the house's smart meter or the public charging-point equivalent: a bit like domestic electricity being 'red diesel' but any means of taking it further afield (e.g. with a car) being 'normal' diesel.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 10th, 2018, 9:26 pm

stewamax wrote:But given that the Chancellor will progressively lose a colossal amount of revenue from fuel tax, it does make me wonder whether charging points - even domestic ones - will be regulated and the supply surtaxed electronically via the house's smart meter or the public charging-point equivalent: a bit like domestic electricity being 'red diesel' but any means of taking it further afield (e.g. with a car) being 'normal' diesel.

When the roads get clogged up with electric cars. Which they will. It is only a matter of time before they become cheap enough. Then the govt will be back to good old road charging. Almost certainly smart tolls to encourage us all to travel off peak. Like those in employment have a choice.

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2018, 5:17 am

gryffron wrote:When the roads get clogged up with electric cars. Which they will. It is only a matter of time before they become cheap enough. Then the govt will be back to good old road charging. Almost certainly smart tolls to encourage us all to travel off peak. Like those in employment have a choice.

Gryff

That's so last-century. Those of us in the knowledge economy do have a choice. Management practices that say otherwise are becoming ever more unacceptable to people and will inevitably become uncompetitive for business.

People in the physical economy will still have to travel at set times. But they're a minority. Take away the ritual travel of the office drones and the pressure is off those whose physical presence really is necessary for work.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 11th, 2018, 8:13 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:People in the physical economy will still have to travel at set times. But they're a minority.

I think you're miles out there. The physical economy is orders of magnitude larger than those who can/could work remotely.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 12th, 2018, 6:37 pm

swill453 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:People in the physical economy will still have to travel at set times. But they're a minority.

I think you're miles out there. The physical economy is orders of magnitude larger than those who can/could work remotely.

Scott.

Plus I am aware of at least 3 organisations where not only could 75% of the staff work remotely, most of the time, but the employer provides equipment to try and encourage them to do so and less than 10% of the staff that could will. And it seems to be the middle aged, or older, men who are happiest to not attend.

You can't have a "water cooler moment" when at home.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 12th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Slarti wrote:You can't have a "water cooler moment" when at home.

Slarti

Of course you can! That's what IRC is for: the virtual water cooler.

Or of course its walled garden imitators, like hipchat or slack.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 13th, 2018, 11:47 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Of course you can! That's what IRC is for: the virtual water cooler.

Or of course its walled garden imitators, like hipchat or slack.

It's just not the same as standing around having a cosy chat while skiving off work. Or so I've been told.

I do get the impression that half the people in most offices are just there for the companionship.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 13th, 2018, 5:08 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Or of course its walled garden imitators, like hipchat or slack.

To misquote Arthur Dent: Would I regret it very much if I asked you what hipchat or slack are?

In my mind's eye, I see Hipchat as a kind of bolt-on to the NHS, where ancient wrinklies with dodgy hips could swap handy hints all day about the pros and cons of getting them replaced. Slack, surely, would be the same thing, but for sufferers of erectile dysfunction?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Or of course its walled garden imitators, like hipchat or slack.

To misquote Arthur Dent: Would I regret it very much if I asked you what hipchat or slack are?
BJ

I already told you. Google would certainly tell you more. Wikipedia would presumably tell you more. slack.com or hipchat.com might tell you more, though they might be focussed on their own respective services at the expense of the wider picture (I haven't checked).

Return to “Bitter Lemons”