Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Smart Meters

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Smart Meters

Postby scotia » August 3rd, 2018, 5:51 pm

How will they save me money

I had mine installed for the convenience of getting my meter read automatically, without the need of visits from a meter reader.
When it was installed, the technician also plugged in the user display, and supplied a book of instructions, which he suggested I might like to read if I wanted to use the display. The inference was clearly that most customers ignored the display - hence I can't see how it is going to save money.
Presumably some guru has assumed that the displays will be used, and we will pay much more attention to the way in which we are using power. Possibly we will be so horrified at the cost of boiling a kettle for a cup of tea that we will cease to be a nation of tea drinkers - so saving on power and the cost of tea bags.

orchard101
Lemon Pip

Postby orchard101 » August 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I've had mine for some time now. As for saving money, I'm still not sure. (Love the advert which says if we all had smart meters we could save enough electricity to power 4 cities!).

However, having calculated my budget according to my DDs, I now know that my fridge freezer and small freezer consume my full budget (nothing I can do about that), and that washing up (by hand) costs 3p, therefore do it much less often.

It scares me rigid when I have the oven or hob on so sandwiches are very popular (I am on my own so no problem with family), but what it has done is make me much more aware of how much power I am using. I also check regularly on line to get my usage daily, monthly, and comparison to the previous year. All very useful info.

So, generally I am in favour more for the fact that I am more aware rather than cost savings.

MrCPFG
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCPFG » August 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Here's an answer that was prepared earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12958

Do keep up. ;)

Shows how far behind the eight ball I am, but yes it answers my question.

MrCPFG

nowretired

Postby nowretired » August 14th, 2018, 3:52 pm

It scares me rigid when I have the oven or hob on

But that is only on for a few minutes or hours at a time not 24 hours a day.

The thing that uses most electricity in my home over a year is my Sky box. 45 watts every hour 365 days a year.
Even my kettle uses less than 1kWh a day even although it has a 3kWh element.
It's not what it consumes when on it's what it consumes in total.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm

nowretired wrote:
It scares me rigid when I have the oven or hob on

But that is only on for a few minutes or hours at a time not 24 hours a day.

The thing that uses most electricity in my home over a year is my Sky box. 45 watts every hour 365 days a year.
Even my kettle uses less than 1kWh a day even although it has a 3kWh element.
It's not what it consumes when on it's what it consumes in total.

Aha! now I know why the smart meter man supplied me with a display - its on 24 hours a day, running up a bill which I never used to have

Return to “Bitter Lemons”