Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Official Grumpy

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Official Grumpy

Postby Rhyd6 » July 8th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Sorry but I don't do temperatures like we're having at the moment. Just looked at the thermometer in our sitting room, north side of the house so no direct sunshine, and it's 30degrees. I've had enough!! I want rain, lots of it. The dog is listless and fed up, she keeps going to stand in the duck pond under willow trees just to get cool, I feel like joining her but the walk down there is through two unshaded fields. I've had enough I'm contemplating moving into the fridge.

R6

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Re: Official Grumpy

Postby Ashfordian » July 8th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Sorry but I don't do temperatures like we're having at the moment. Just looked at the thermometer in our sitting room, north side of the house so no direct sunshine, and it's 30degrees. I've had enough!! I want rain, lots of it. The dog is listless and fed up, she keeps going to stand in the duck pond under willow trees just to get cool, I feel like joining her but the walk down there is through two unshaded fields. I've had enough I'm contemplating moving into the fridge.

R6

Think back to the winter we had to endure and I'm more than happy for this warm weather to continue for at least another couple of months 8-)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm

I'm with R6 on this.
I'm fed up watering the garden. and suffering in the heat just sitting in the house or lying in bed.

Roll on winter. Or maybe we should start a petition and get the government to do something about it https://petition.parliament.uk/

--kiloran

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 8th, 2018, 8:33 pm

I'm loving the hot dry spell. We currently have all the roof off the house while we add a new first storey extension on one side and re-felt, batten and tile the other side. My biggest fear was prolonged wet weather or those torrential downpours we have when the weather gets hot and humid.
So far it's been perfectly dry.

Each passing day will give better rain protection, by the end of the coming week we should be over the worst and the week after physical security should be much better.

Rhydds, please don't start doing a rain dance just yet, give it another week or two and I'll join you.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2018, 8:55 pm

37 degrees this afternoon in my veg patch. (We have a high-walled garden which does tend to lock the heat in.) The grass is drying out, the root veg aren't growing, the courgettes and the runner beans have yet to set a single flower successfully, despite daily showerings and mistings. The wife's roses are gone in the blink of an eye.

And I love all of it. Any time I think this is all a bit too much of a good thing, I cast my back to March when I was taking photos of eight inches of snow. Or soggy April, which was just awful. :(

Instead we tend to sit out under the shade of the apple trees and do nothing very much through the heat of the afternoon, except to watch the swallows or feed a couple of tame blackbirds which turn up regularly to ask us for goodies. Round about 7 pm this evening I lit up the barbecue, as I do two or three times a week.

If I want to stay cool during the daytime, I can always go indoors and watch the footie, I suppose. (It's about 10C cooler in there.) But TBH I'd rather be outside, doing a bit of sketching or checking out my tomatoes, or fixing a sticking door or a window in the evening cool. Which may be why I haven't seen a single match so far?

Work can wait. ;)

Officially Ungrumpy BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 8th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Hehe. A slight reminder of my years in central Italy here, though high summer there was actually a fair bit hotter. If it follows the Italian shape it'll only get worse: May and June get hot but it's a reasonably dry heat, but it gets more humid through the summer and August is horrible! They clearly also have more water infrastructure than we do to cope, though I daresay the mountains help with that.

Bottom line from that experience: 25 degrees in the wee hours is much worse than 40 degrees at daytime peak. Note that that compares to about 15 in the wee hours tonight, and I've never known nighttime minima much higher than that in Blighty.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Its cooled down slightly in Central Scotland - but its still too hot and too dry. In spite of watering the garden assiduously, the lawns are patchy brown, and the meconopsis have wilted badly. Global warming? Can we blame this weather on Trump's policies?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 9th, 2018, 11:22 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Note that that compares to about 15 in the wee hours tonight, and I've never known nighttime minima much higher than that in Blighty.

When we saw the local forecast yesterday, the lassie said that the overnight minimum was forecast to be down to 15C, instead of the 17C recorded the night before :shock:

It was a bit cooler last night.

Slarti

Return to “Bitter Lemons”