Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Crisis

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: Crisis

Postby tea42 » August 19th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Its a modern thing like…… ' celebrities'… mostly I say who??

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 2:48 pm

But all I said was that I nearly put a jumper on....

Joking aside - I do agree that it's difficult taking in any sort of news recently - although I've felt like that for a few years now, since the widespread take-up of Facebook and Twitter.

Those two outlets seem to provide an endless source of 'he said / she said / they said' article-feeds for all the media to chow down on. They don't have to work hard to be able to fill their air-time or column-inches any more - that sort of 'news' can be regurgitated in seconds, with zero effort...but who really cares?

Good reporting seems to have fallen by the wayside some time ago....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Yesterday we were at a birthday party for a dear friend whose managed to reach the ripe old age of 97. She still lives at home and is reasonably on the ball though her hearing is not what it was. We were discussing the modern trend of people going around with their mobile phones welded to their hands when she remarked "I can't understand what these folks find to Tw@at about all the time, Tw@atting, tw@tting, tw@atting. What's wrong with meeting folk and having a natter face to face. We didn't have the heart to correct her though as another friend pointed out her description more or less hit the nail on the head.

R6

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 19th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We didn't have the heart to correct her though as another friend pointed out her description more or less hit the nail on the head.

Did you tell her you were a Lemon Slice and converse with many people and other beings you've never met, including Cyberbots, a Dalek and a Snorvey?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 19th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Years ago I remember the jokes about 'being in crisis' simply meant that Tony Blair hadn't yet been told by the tabloids how to react.
Agree about celebrities. These days, if you get a walk-in part as an extra in an Albanian advert for nettle-flavoured condoms, you're automatically a celebrity.
Likewise when you read 'Uproar' ... Means that someone somewhere may be a bit annoyed.
'Outrage' means that his mate agrees with him.
'Gone Viral' means that they both told their neighbours.

Steve

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » August 20th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Experience teaches that what people say sometimes means something entirely different to what they mean and woe betide if you assume the wrong meaning.

As an example, I recall the Used Car Sales Speak of yesteryear.

"One lady owner " … Worn out clutch and big ends knock.

"Economical " ... You`ll have a job starting it to go anywhere.

"Immaculate motor " ... Never been touched by a qualified mechanic.

"Performance vehicle " ... It`s been thrashed , bent and/or rolled.

"Showroom condition " ... Best place to leave it.

"Classic vehicle " ... Old and unreliable, needs constant maintenance.

"

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » August 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm

The Daily Wail (I know I know, I should know better) reported a Scout Jamboree on last week as in "Chaos" due to an outbreak of norovirus.

So, as I understand it
- the first aid people I guess identified that there was an outbreak of norovirus.
- the camp was quarantined, i.e. as few people on or off site as possible, eg canoeing on the local lake cancelled.
- activities on camp carried on while they implemented plans for dealing with it
- the organisers identified the source, did a deep clean, deep cleaned some other possible places just in case
- meanwhile the first aiders dealt with those affected
- the camp was un-quarentined

There were 41 cases of norovirus
There were 5000 young people, and 2000 adults on the Jamboree. So a smidge over 0.5% affected.

That's "chaos" apparently. :roll:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 20th, 2018, 4:33 pm

marronier wrote:"One lady owner " … Worn out clutch and big ends knock.

"Economical " ... You`ll have a job starting it to go anywhere.

"A true 1960s classic".....I assume you know how to double de-clutch?

"A stunning opportunity to acquire a rare vehicle".... Yeah, they stopped making these after 500 or so because nobody ever wanted to buy the hideous things.

"A fully blown V8"...… Okay, actually I lied. Two of the cylinders haven't blown yet.

"Genuine reason for sale"..... It's going to cost a fortune to fix that knock, but shhhhh, so far I'm the only person who's noticed it. :?

And not forgetting, "Set the mean streets alight in this two-seater coupe"..... Hmmm, maybe somebody ought to do something about that petrol leak?

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”