Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Christmas

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Re: Christmas

Postby CommissarJones » October 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm

The Next outlet on Fenchurch Street in the City now has its windows decorated for Christmas.

Bah humbug.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 16th, 2018, 6:42 pm

The Next outlet on Fenchurch Street in the City now has its windows decorated for Christmas.

Down here in Italy, we have Halloween stuff in the supermarkets, but no Christmas decorations, which will start in early December. Rather silly, cos the kids only do the Halloween thing due to years of USA influence and to be honest, it's rather half-hearted, though as in the UK, the supermarkets will milk it for what they can get.

Steve

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 16th, 2018, 10:02 pm

stevensfo wrote:Down here in Italy, we have Halloween stuff in the supermarkets, but no Christmas decorations, which will start in early December. Rather silly, cos the kids only do the Halloween thing due to years of USA influence and to be honest, it's rather half-hearted, though as in the UK, the supermarkets will milk it for what they can get.
Steve

Halloween in Scotland used to be observed in the traditional way of "guising". The kids would go out, dressed in various costumes, and be prepared to perform, which, I admit, often degenerated into simply telling a joke. The reward was usually sweets or fruits. And at Halloween parties dookin for apples (apples floating in a tub - to be captured by teeth only) or catching a suspended treacle covered scone - again teeth only - were fun activities. And Turnip Lanterns were a necessary part of the occasion.
But the USA influence now seems to prevail, with the appalling "trick or treat" being mouthed by the current generation, and pumpkins (previously unknown in Scotland) replacing the good old swede.
Definitely a cause to create a Bitter Lemon.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 16th, 2018, 10:07 pm

scotia wrote:But the USA influence now seems to prevail, with the appalling "trick or treat" being mouthed by the current generation,

October 31, 2006:
This evening I cooked up a large volume of a somewhat Borscht-like soup, involving lots of beetroot. A slightly messy job cooking it.

Not so delicious, but much more fun, is the effect on halloween children of a manic grin, and a quiet but hammed up over-eager come in, dears, when delivered with hands heavily stained by dark, sticky beetroot juice.

Hehehe.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 17th, 2018, 10:27 am

scotia wrote:and pumpkins (previously unknown in Scotland) replacing the good old swede.

I can recall using swedes in kent in the later 60s :-)

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 22nd, 2018, 10:06 pm

Always swedes in Shropshire when I were but a lad. Not easy to carve, but wonderful (?) smell : candle wax and burnt swede = Halloween
I can't remember any ready-made Halloween stuff in the shops. We used to make stuff at school.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 23rd, 2018, 8:13 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Always swedes in Shropshire when I were but a lad. Not easy to carve, but wonderful (?) smell : candle wax and burnt swede = Halloween
I can't remember any ready-made Halloween stuff in the shops. We used to make stuff at school.

Sugar beet in Fen country!

If you think swedes are tough, you aint seen nothing!

John

Return to “Bitter Lemons”