Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Gas

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
wheypat
Lemon Slice

Scottish Gas

Postby wheypat » August 31st, 2018, 9:11 am

Came home last night and there was a bill from them on the doorstop. Which is interesting, as I don't get my power from them. It's a final demand for £61 and if I don't pay within 5 working days they'll instruct a debt recovery firm. So I phoned them up to discuss - the bill dates from before I moved into the house.

The muppet I spoke to informed me that under the law as they can't trace the previous owner I'm now legally responsible for the debt! I disagreed and asked to speak to his supervisor who restated the same threat. So I informed them that I was recording the call and would forward it onto my MP (I wasn't recording the call). Silence for 10 seconds followed by I'll just see what I can do sir . . . . . and hey presto! 30 seconds later the 'debt' has been written off. Due to special circumstances.

Jeepers, I'm up for a fight but what happens if/when the bully people who can't fight back?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scottish Gas

Postby sg31 » September 1st, 2018, 8:54 pm

I had a similar problem some years ago with a power company I received a letter addressed to the occupier for money owed. It was from before my time so I phoned them to let them know, they said they would sort it but didn't. After the 3rd letter I stopped ringing them.

They went from red reminders to dire threats, to appointing bailiffs to threats of court action. I couldn't see them having much success with a court case suing Mr The Occupier. After a couple of years it stopped.

A year later they must have sold their bad debt book because it all started again with a debt recovery company. They did actually issue a 'court case' against Mr T Occupier. It must have been some computer system but it wasn't a real document just something issued so they could add another £75 to the bill.

It went on for about 7 years until a debt collector actually knocked on the door. I told him I was issuing proceedings for harassment and finally it got sorted.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Re: Scottish Gas

Postby wheypat » September 4th, 2018, 8:54 am

Got home last night, aother letter from them. Apparently they owe me £138 and have enclosed a cheque to that value. What's it like on their planet?

Return to “Bitter Lemons”