Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Hog roasts

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Hog roasts

Postby bungeejumper » September 3rd, 2018, 10:23 am

Away for the weekend to Manchester, the land of the permanent hen night, where a tottering ladette's wine glass holds half a bottle and the tattoo count goes right off the scale, and where handbags are purchased with a view to their additional function as emergency places to puke on a Saturday night. But this particular celebration was being held in a plush hotel ballroom with a 12 piece band. So it would all be different, wouldn't it?

At the front of the room, sure enough, were the ball gowns and tuxedos. In the middle, best suits and party dresses. At the back, where we plebs were located, it was just smart casual. Which was our good fortune, actually, because the catering was a hog roast. Yep, a hog roast. Greasy-finger food in a bun, and don't ask for the cutlery because there isn't any. Mind that ball gown, lady.

Now, there was a time when a hog roast was a sort of village-green knees-up affair. You turned up to the site of the pagan conflagration, where some poor smoke-ridden individual would have been turning a spit for the last five hours, and where you were supposed to prove your tribal loyalty by taking your chances with the salmonella, by eating greasy chunks of whatever the man with the carving knife handed you. It was a proof of your vigour that you'd survived enough of these shindigs to have accumulated all the viral antibodies that you were ever likely to need.

But this hog roast was a different kind of affair. There outside in the gleaming courtyard was a shiny new white van with fancy sign-writing on the side, and the all-electric oven/grill thing alongside it had been switched off several hours earlier while the fat was being stripped off the (alleged) hog, and then the poor thing had been dismembered with a sort of culinary chainsaw and taken indoors. And then you queued up for a strangely weightless bun the size of a football, and let the chef lard it with whatever was at the top of the pile, and then you stuffed it all into your mouth with your raw hands while the band played Strangers in the Night. Vegetarians were offered a giant bun and a bit of lettuce, and maybe some apple sauce. There didn't seem to be many takers for that, though, so maybe the caterers knew their job after all?

But a hog roast it wasn't. Which was a good thing in some ways, because more of the participants would have survived the night than they would have done with the usual bug-laden open-air shindig. As to whether you can really mix slowly-burned pig with a full-on tuxedo event is another question entirely. For some reason I found myself hoping that somebody would light up a huge wicker man out on the terrace somewhere, but sadly it was not to be. Pity, I'm sure there's a commercial market for pagan revivals. ;)

BJ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Hog roasts

Postby UncleIan » September 3rd, 2018, 10:35 am

bungeejumper wrote:Pity, I'm sure there's a commercial market for pagan revivals. ;)

There's a reenactment place near us, sorry, living archaeology they call it, Butser Ancient Farm, they have a pagan festival in the spring, Beltain, where they burn a big wicker thing. Full of "interesting" people so they say, hippies crusties re-enactors and all sorts. Usually a sell out so I've been told so there's a market for it.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » September 4th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Vegetarians were offered a giant bun and a bit of lettuce, and maybe some apple sauce. There didn't seem to be many takers for that, though...

Funny that. I’d have thought they would have appreciated the lettuce at least.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

madhatter wrote:Funny that. I’d have thought they would have appreciated the lettuce at least.

not after it's been roasted

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » September 5th, 2018, 10:14 am

I went to a wedding once that had a hog roast. Queued for ages to get some roast pig in a bun and when I was almost at the front I noticed the lady next to me going "No, not that bit, that's fatty . . . . no, not that bit it's burnt . . . . no, not that bit it's got crackling on it . . . . no, not" and so. For feck's sake it's a roast pig. It's burnt in places, fatty almost everywhere.

Once more, based on reactions around me I said this outloud . . .

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 6th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Grandson got married last Friday, formal wedding breakfast after the ceremony but on the Saturday we had a hog roast and barbeque for all his friends and rellies who couldn't make it to the wedding. It was great, the pig was cooked to perfection and the home made sausages and burgers were good too. His youngest brother who has now completed his training as a chef was in charge and I must say he did an excellent job. The best part was watching eight dogs all queuing for their share. They were all well behaved dogs (7 trained sheepdogs and our parsons russell) and they trotted off very happily once they'd received their portion of pig. Didn't hear one of them grumbling about burnt or fatty bits :D

R6

Return to “Bitter Lemons”