Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BP tried to rip me off!

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

BP tried to rip me off!

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

Stopped by at a BP garage to put some air in my tyres; minimum charge £1 - one whole British pound :o ! Drove down to the Shell garage (declaration of interest, I hold shares in Shell) where the charge was a more reasonable 50p.

I feel somewhat outraged at Shell's blatant attempt to scalp my hard earned money from me

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: BP tried to rip me off!

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 19th, 2018, 10:02 am

The idea is that if you're sufficiently outraged, you generate sufficient hot air to inflate your own tyres at no cost. They're trying to do you a favour!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2018, 10:24 am

Writing of which I am in a bit of a dilemma. I wonder how accurate these garage air pumps are? Being conscientious about this sort of thing, I went into my local Asda I think it was for petrol and checked my tyres at the same time. Set them all correct and drove away. A few miles down a dual carriageway towards home, my bleeper thing on my dashboard went off and the little signal lit up telling me that I had a soft tyre. I slowed from 70 down to about 45/50, feeling quite vulnerable to other cars zipping past. I got home, took a look and all seemed OK so I then carefully drove to the place that supplied a couple of new tyres recently, told them the story and they checked all four tyres. Different pressure in each one!

They set them all again for me and told me that it happens all the time and not to use the forecourt machines but to get my own equipment.

So far I have done nothing.

Dod

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 19th, 2018, 10:36 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:................

I feel somewhat outraged at Shell's blatant attempt to scalp my hard earned money from me

Of course, I meant to say BP not Shell :oops:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 19th, 2018, 11:43 am

Paid-for air lines are a dumb tax on those who haven't got the wit to buy their own tyre inflators. Dammit, they only cost a tenner or so.

Mind you, I'm often a bit bothered when I look at the queues waiting in line for the free air at my local Sainsburys. Almost always, they're old cars or very young/very elderly drivers, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if many of them were nursing slow punctures of one sort or another. The idea that a nearly-flat tyre might require something more than a temporary shot of free air would presumably come as a surprise to some people?

I'm hanging my guilty head here, but I should know. :( My newly-bought car (18 months old) had a very slow puncture that tripped the tyre pressure sensors every two months or so. But it was the first time I'd had a car with sensors, and it was only ever a couple of pounds down. I was freshly back from 2,500 miles across France when I had a couple of tyres changed. And the fitter found the ground-down stub of a screwdriver blade right through the rear offside tyre, and visible only from inside the casing. Sheesh.

BJ

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » November 19th, 2018, 11:52 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:Stopped by at a BP garage to put some air in my tyres; minimum charge £1 - one whole British pound :o ! Drove down to the Shell garage (declaration of interest, I hold shares in Shell) where the charge was a more reasonable 50p.

Buy a pump form Halfords, and buy a digital gauge online or from e.g. the Snapon van/man? It'll do wonders for your tyre tread wear and your fuel consumption if you get the pressures more accurate.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 19th, 2018, 12:05 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:Stopped by at a BP garage to put some air in my tyres; minimum charge £1 - one whole British pound :o ! Drove down to the Shell garage (declaration of interest, I hold shares in Shell) where the charge was a more reasonable 50p.

Buy a pump form Halfords, and buy a digital gauge online or from e.g. the Snapon van/man? It'll do wonders for your tyre tread wear and your fuel consumption if you get the pressures more accurate.

I think that's a good idea, thanks for the note

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 19th, 2018, 2:11 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Stopped by at a BP garage to put some air in my tyres; minimum charge £1 - one whole British pound :o !

That's inflation for you!

Julian F. G. W.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 19th, 2018, 2:14 pm

jfgw wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:Stopped by at a BP garage to put some air in my tyres; minimum charge £1 - one whole British pound :o !

That's inflation for you!

Julian F. G. W.

Deserves an entry in Laughing Lemons :lol:

Return to “Bitter Lemons”