Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Packaging

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Packaging

Postby Rhyd6 » January 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm

This subject has probably been raised on more than one occasion but having struggled for the best part of twenty minutes to remove the packaging surrounding a new electric toothbrush I need to vent. In an era when we're supposed to be cutting down on plastic why do manufacturers use plastic at all? I finally had to stab the damn stuff with a very sharp kitchen knife then insert the tip of a pair of scissors and cut very carefully around said toothbrush in order to remove it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

R6

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Packaging

Postby Howyoudoin » January 24th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:This subject has probably been raised on more than one occasion but having struggled for the best part of twenty minutes to remove the packaging surrounding a new electric toothbrush I need to vent. In an era when we're supposed to be cutting down on plastic why do manufacturers use plastic at all? I finally had to stab the damn stuff with a very sharp kitchen knife then insert the tip of a pair of scissors and cut very carefully around said toothbrush in order to remove it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

R6

They need to justify the £280 price tag (for a toothbrush!) otherwise you wouldn't feel like you were getting your moneys worth.

https://www.boots.com/philips-sonicare- ... d-10248736

:shock:

HYD

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 24th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:This subject has probably been raised on more than one occasion but having struggled for the best part of twenty minutes to remove the packaging surrounding a new electric toothbrush I need to vent. In an era when we're supposed to be cutting down on plastic why do manufacturers use plastic at all? I finally had to stab the damn stuff with a very sharp kitchen knife then insert the tip of a pair of scissors and cut very carefully around said toothbrush in order to remove it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

R6

They need to justify the £280 price tag (for a toothbrush!) otherwise you wouldn't feel like you were getting your moneys worth.

https://www.boots.com/philips-sonicare- ... d-10248736

:shock:

HYD

Or you could buy the £25 one which works just as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

But it is just as much of a bugger to open

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm

A&E departments report that hard "bubble shell" packaging is one of the most common causes of severe lacerations, and it doesn't seem very hard to figure out why. The worst ones I've encountered are the very thick plastic ones they use for Yale locks, with a double or even triple layer of heat-bonded welding all around the four edges of the card. (Presumably because the shiny brass lock casings need a high degree of protection to stop them from getting damaged in transit?)

Either way, it's only human nature to cut off two of the four edges with a pair of heavy-duty scissors and then to precariously extract the contents from their razor-edged enclosure. Then again, it also ought to be human nature for me to learn from my mistakes and not repeat the blood-soaked errors of the past. On that reckoning, I need to count myself an evolutionary failure. :cry:

BJ

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 26th, 2019, 9:51 am

One of the most extreme packaging inconveniences I’ve found is on a (micro)SIM card I bought recently. Quite several minutes with sharp scissors to finally extract an item measuring the odd centimeter in length from its 10 centimeter or thereby near-indestructible packaging.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 26th, 2019, 9:57 am

bungeejumper wrote:A&E departments report that hard "bubble shell" packaging is one of the most common causes of severe lacerations, and it doesn't seem very hard to figure out why. The worst ones I've encountered are the very thick plastic ones they use for Yale locks, with a double or even triple layer of heat-bonded welding all around the four edges of the card. (Presumably because the shiny brass lock casings need a high degree of protection to stop them from getting damaged in transit?)

Either way, it's only human nature to cut off two of the four edges with a pair of heavy-duty scissors and then to precariously extract the contents from their razor-edged enclosure. Then again, it also ought to be human nature for me to learn from my mistakes and not repeat the blood-soaked errors of the past. On that reckoning, I need to count myself an evolutionary failure. :cry:

BJ

I recently bought a Leatherman Rev Multitool. There was one tool on it that I couldn't see a purpose for....

https://www.leatherman.com/rev-423.html

It's the top of the 3 on the right hand side. Apparently it is a package opener and all I can say is it works a treat on the type of packaging you have problems with. I wouldn't be without it now. The only problem is I can never find the multi-tool when I need it. Usually my wife has borrowed it and not replaced it. Such is married life.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 26th, 2019, 10:28 am

quelquod wrote:One of the most extreme packaging inconveniences I’ve found is on a (micro)SIM card I bought recently. Quite several minutes with sharp scissors to finally extract an item measuring the odd centimeter in length from its 10 centimeter or thereby near-indestructible packaging.

Hehe.

Good solution to that. When I got a phone that requires micro-sim, I took it with my existing (old size) sim into my provider's high street shop. They did it all for me 8-)

Return to “Bitter Lemons”