Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Trying to contact Symantec to buy something

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Trying to contact Symantec to buy something

Postby Midsmartin » May 29th, 2019, 2:11 pm

(Maybe this should be on the computer board, but it's made me very grumpy. I'll avoid techy information!).

One of my clients uses a Symantec product to filter incoming email for spam, viruses etc (not my choice by the way, but it does the job fine). They want to change the number of users on their subscription. Sounds easy? I've spend two entire mornings trying to do it so far.

First I log on to our account page - lots of stuff about how much spam they've filtered for us, but no means to adjust the subscription size (it's an annual 4 figure amount). I spent a good hour or so clicking around different corners of the website in case I'd missed something.

2nd go: use the free "web chat". I was in a queue for an hour, and then got disconnected from someone before they answered my questions.

3rd go: call the support phone number. On hold for 50 minutes, and then they told me I couldn't do it by phone but had to email an obscure email address.

4th go. I sent an email enquiry as suggested above. They replied to the email, asking for more information - great. I supplied the requested information, and now any subsequent emails have been ignored.

5th go. I called a different phone number on the last Symantec invoice. Nobody answered it.

6th go: Another web chat, after being in a queue for an hour. This chap was lovely and helpful, but agreed he didn't know how I could purchase more products from Symantec (he was tech support, not sales).
He gave me an 0870 phone number - the number doesn't exist. He offered a phone number I'd already tried in (3) above. Finally he dug out a US phone number.. I haven't tried this, as I only work at this client in the morning, and the US won't answer until the afternoon. But I will try this phone number later, with a fortifying mug of tea to hand.

7th go. Back on the Symantec web site, I stumble by accident on a page that shows they really want to sell this product through resellers now. OK, so I click the big red "find a reseller" button, and just get an HTML error page instead.

So there we have it. A huge mega corporation that does its damndest to stop me spending any money with them.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Trying to contact Symantec to buy something

Postby Slarti » May 29th, 2019, 4:34 pm

The UK reseller that my clients used for Symantec products was https://www.softcat.com/partners/symantec/

Sorry for being helpful, here :twisted:

Slarti

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 29th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Well, after reading these two posts, I wonder how many people will want to buy something from Symantec.

Thanks for the warnings, guys!!

Steve

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 31st, 2019, 5:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:Well, after reading these two posts, I wonder how many people will want to buy something from Symantec.

Thanks for the warnings, guys!!

Steve

I stopped using them, for anything, after they just killed Ghostery and did an update that knackered it.

Slarti

Return to “Bitter Lemons”