Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

No Timewasters

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

No Timewasters

Postby redsturgeon » June 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Whenever I see this on an advert for stuff on Gumtree or similar sites I always think, why would you put that? Is it really going to put off any timewasters or does it just put off genuine interest from people who think you must be a bit of a knob.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: No Timewasters

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 8th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Perhaps it means "don't start asking questions about the item, like what condition it's in". Carries an implicit warning that such questions won't be tolerated.

I expect the agent and vendor regarded me as a timewaster in this story. I'd say they were wasting their time and mine, and the proof is that they're still on the market, whereas my offer on another place is now with conveyancing solicitors.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I wonder what sort of person would turn up to inspect a pram/table/TV whatever with no intention of purchasing it ? Seems like an odd hobby..

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » June 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Similar to how some people write "O.N.O", as if they'll somehow be a reviewing a range of sealed bids for their old banger and selecting the highest (yeah, right! :roll: ), people write "No Timewasters" solely because they've seen other people write it too and they assume therefore it's the correct jargon to be using...

...when in reality it's just a load of nonsense and marks the seller out as a bit of a numpty, as you state.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » June 8th, 2019, 8:49 pm

tikunetih wrote:Similar to how some people write "O.N.O", as if they'll somehow be a reviewing a range of sealed bids for their old banger and selecting the highest (yeah, right! :roll: ), people write "No Timewasters" solely because they've seen other people write it too and they assume therefore it's the correct jargon to be using...

...when in reality it's just a load of nonsense and marks the seller out as a bit of a numpty, as you state.

Ah. I had always understood ONO as "I will negotiate on price" and NT as "I will not negotiate on price" . Maybe I'm a numpty ( not that I have ever advertised using either term ).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 9th, 2019, 9:25 am

I've always supposed that "no timewasters" meant:

(a) If you're just a rubbernecker who thinks that this advert is an invitation to come along and grab yourself a few selfies alongside my gorgeously overpriced Porsche for twenty minutes, with no intention of buying it, then sod off.

(b) If you're asking whether I'm financially desperate enough to sell it at a super-low price, the answer is no, so sod off.

(c) If you think you can kick the tyres, mutter about the wear on the seats, doubt the car's provenance, suck your teeth, declare that the paint on the brakes should have been rosso italiano and not fire engine red, and generally make yourself look like a tinpot "expert" for the stupid benefit of your adoring friends, then kindly be reminded that a kick in the nuts often offends. So sod off.

(d) All of the above. Now sod off. :evil:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2019, 9:57 am

bungeejumper wrote:I've always supposed that "no timewasters" meant:
(b) If you're asking whether I'm financially desperate enough to sell it at a super-low price, the answer is no, so sod off.
BJ

Hehe. "No timewasters" might just mean "I'm deluding myself".

I mentioned above I'm buying a house. One that was on the market for more than a year while the asking price dropped 20% (in small stages) and I put in an offer 10% below that. Sitting empty all that time. Financial desperation, or a dose of reality setting in?

Talking of which, I thought seller packs were a great idea. A modest disincentive to timewasters putting houses on the market when they have no real intention of selling. Won't stop the divorcers who are fighting each other over the house, but give pure kite-flyers pause for thought.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2019, 10:03 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I wonder what sort of person would turn up to inspect a pram/table/TV whatever with no intention of purchasing it ? Seems like an odd hobby..

In the spirit of BJ,

"It's a wreck. If that's going to put you off paying the as-new price, don't bother".

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 9th, 2019, 11:59 am

I can see perhaps someone selling their Porsche might want to put off the obvious time waters but I'm talking about people selling a £100 bike!

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2019, 1:22 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I can see perhaps someone selling their Porsche might want to put off the obvious time waters but I'm talking about people selling a £100 bike!

John

Didn't King Canute call the ocean a time water?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 9th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Its on a apr with similar gumtree/FB ,arketp[lace etc WANTED ads with "cash waiting".

what else are they going to pay with for a local sale (ie not ebay via paypal)? Barter a goat?

didds

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 9th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Several organisations who employ chuggers and cold callers have a certain Mr TImothy Ewaster (pronounced "ewe-uhs-ter") on their databases, for which I am wholly responsible.

Sorry about that.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”