Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Make mine a pint

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Make mine a pint

Postby Rhyd6 » July 12th, 2019, 5:49 pm

It seems that the poor old taxpayer has subsidised the cafe's and bars in the HoC to the tune of £2.6 million. I don't know many places of work where you can get drunk as a skunk during working hours and not get fired. This has upset me so much I need a large alcoholic beverage to calm me down, unfortunately I'll have to buy my own :(

R6

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Make mine a pint

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

I raised the issue last year with my MP, who said,
"With regards to subsidies to parliamentary food and drink, I am actually surprised and shocked these exist: I was told several years ago, that this was all produced "at cost" - so the financial remit was "break even", not "run at a loss, and exist on subsidy".

If there are such subsidies, I will myself argue against them.

To help me with that, could you send me the evidence you've been given about these subsidies? I will happily follow up with questions etc."

I sent the MP links to newspaper articles, but a year later, nothing seems to have changed.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » July 14th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Got to be some perks of being at the top I guess.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 14th, 2019, 9:17 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I raised the issue last year with my MP, who said,
"With regards to subsidies to parliamentary food and drink, I am actually surprised and shocked these exist: I was told several years ago, that this was all produced "at cost" - so the financial remit was "break even", not "run at a loss, and exist on subsidy".

To help me with that, could you send me the evidence you've been given about these subsidies? I will happily follow up with questions etc."

I sent the MP links to newspaper articles, but a year later, nothing seems to have changed.

Isn't it the case that the alcohol is duty free in the Houses pf parliament bars - any other private clubs and pubs in the UK enjoy that ... benefit... ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 14th, 2019, 10:41 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I raised the issue last year with my MP, who said,

Is that a shifting goalpost I see before me? If all their food is produced "at cost" meaning the kitchen has to cover the cost of its ingredients, that could still vastly undercut unsubsidised establishments who also have to pay rent, rates, staff costs, equipment, utilities and taxes. Even if the kitchen has to cover some of those additional costs, just the premises make a nice juicy subsidy.

To be fair, I expect they're not the only ones on that game.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”